Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone load .45-70 with Vihtavuori?

Anyone load .45-70 with Vihtavuori?

I'm trying not to buy any more Hodgdon powder with the ban coming into place so will have to say goodbye to H4198

So, I'm looking at loading up .45-70 with Viht powder instead.

I've seen a bit of info on N133 & N135 but I've not managed to find out whether these powders are ok with cast lead bullets, all the data is for jacketed.

The attractive thing about the two powders mentioned is they work for .223 as well so if I can get one powder to do both calibres then happy days!

Does anyone load .45-70 lead rounds with Viht?

Cheers
    Greg

Never used Vihtavuori but i always found 10 grns of Unique worked well with a 405 grn bullet in both the Ruger number 1
    and a Pedersoli rolling block. Doesn't sound much powder but plenty especially in the light Ruger. Keep us upto date with
    how you get on. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Never used Vihtavuori but i always found 10 grns of Unique worked well with a 405 grn bullet in both the Ruger number 1
    and a Pedersoli rolling block. Doesn't sound much powder but plenty especially in the light Ruger. Keep us upto date with
    how you get on. Tim
    I use the same load for the same bullet weight in a Winchester High Wall - same deal. Nice and accurate out to 100m and still satisfying to shoot, too. I use a wisp of REAL kapok over the charge, though, NOT a frawk material of any kind.

Smells like burning an old cuddly toy [don't ask how i know].

tac

Thanks for the replies guys. I load 14.5 grains of Unique as my indoor plinking load for .45-70, I'm looking for a replacement powder for full power loads. I've done up to 57 grains of 4198 which I use out to 600m. It's quite annoying that I'm having to start from scratch again with most of my calibres. Thanks EU!

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I load 14.5 grains of Unique as my indoor plinking load for .45-70, I'm looking for a replacement powder for full power loads. I've done up to 57 grains of 4198 which I use out to 600m. It's quite annoying that I'm having to start from scratch again with most of my calibres. Thanks EU!

Cheers
    Greg
    Have you looked at Reloder7? supposed to be very good with the 45-70
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

You don't tell us what gun you are shooting your reloads in - it really DOES matter, even with a lead bullet.

I have a Uberti Winchester Model of 1885 High Wall - my load, out to 500m - is 32gr of IMR4198. That is with a 405gr lead flat-nose.

Your 57gr load seems to me to be rather more than the recommended top load from the Hodgdon reloading manual, 26th Ed, page 479

H4198 44gr

'For modern rifles designed for high pressure loads only'

Like the Ruger No1, for instance. Or the Marlin whatever it is, but not any kind of modern replication of an older design.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 26-02-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    Have you looked at Reloder7? supposed to be very good with the 45-70
    I've not looked at Reloader 7 but will have a look. Trying to find a Viht powder to be honest, moving most of my other calibres onto it.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    You don't tell us what gun you are shooting your reloads in - it really DOES matter, even with a lead bullet.

I have a Uberti Winchester Model of 1885 High Wall - my load, out to 500m - is 32gr of IMR4198. That is with a 405gr lead flat-nose.

Your 57gr load seems to me to be rather more than the recommended top load from the Hodgdon reloading manual, 26th Ed, page 479

H4198 44gr

'For modern rifles designed for high pressure loads only'

Like the Ruger No1, for instance. Or the Marlin whatever it is, but not any kind of modern replication of an older design.

tac
    You are quite right, that was a typo on my part, the 57gr was of H335. I've gone up to 50gr of H4198. That's using 300gr jacketed soft points. Still below the max load according to Nosler. For 405gr Lead heads I use 40gr max of H4198.

My rifle is a Browning made Winchester 1886, capable of handling the same loads as the Marlin 1895.

I've found a table quoting that Viht N130 is an equivalent to 4198 so might look into that a bit further.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    I've not looked at Reloader 7 but will have a look. Trying to find a Viht powder to be honest, moving most of my other calibres onto it.

You are quite right, that was a typo on my part, the 57gr was of H335. I've gone up to 50gr of H4198. That's using 300gr jacketed soft points. Still below the max load according to Nosler. For 405gr Lead heads I use 40gr max of H4198.

My rifle is a Browning made Winchester 1886, capable of handling the same loads as the Marlin 1895.

I've found a table quoting that Viht N130 is an equivalent to 4198 so might look into that a bit further.

Cheers
    Greg
    'kay. Your 'Browning-made' 1886 is actually an SKB-Miroku-made rifle, same as mine over in OR, except that mine is in 30-06. I have the half-octagon/half-round barrel, with 'Diana Grade #1' detailing. Second-hand, from a guy who was getting the ever-living snot kicked out of him by it. He was 5' 1" and built like an elf, and may have weighed in at 90# wet.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 26-02-2018 at 10:27 PM.

I have used n120 with lead bullets.

45-70

PM me an e-mail and I will copy the 45-70 page out of the Viht book and send it over,
    I use Unique and GM3 my self, for lead bullets,
    thanks,T,

Thanks for the replies. I have seen the data on The Vihtavouri website but it doesn't really help for the lead bullet heads I want to load. The one lead bullet they do give data for is 510gr gas checked, and the powder quantity is significantly less than the jacketed rounds.

I currently load 350gr & 405gr hard cast, without gas check. I can put a full charge of 4198 behind these with no issues and there's plenty of data to back it up. The American forums haven't turned up much because they don't use much Viht powder.

I'll keep looking!

Cheers
    Greg

Using 12gr Trailboss in my load with 405gr lead works fine. Nice light load
    I would not worry about it when we leave the EU should sort it out

VIT Powder for 45-70

Hi,
    I used to use 46gn of VIT N133 powder with 405gn cast Tim Hannam bullets, but found it punishing on the shoulder, then I was introduced to Reloader 7 42gn with same bullet and found softer kick and more accurate. I use the rounds in my Sharps Pedersoli rolling block rifle and have been using it since.
    I hope this is useful to you.
    Ajay

I've not got the answer to your question, as I too have been thinking it would be nice to use Vihtavuori.

I do note that Viht 110 is similar in speed to H4198, but I have no experience of it.

I currently use Lovex D060 (previously Accurate 5744), which is a fraction slower than H4198, in a Rugger No1 for both plinking (405 lead 20-25gns), and full loads (300 jacketed 35gns).

I hope you find your Vihtavuori load.