Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone load .45-70 with Vihtavuori?

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    The only two powders I used in my .45-70 when I had it were H4198 and Vhit N133. I used both powders with two weights of lead bullet. A Howitzer 405grn FP bullet and a 350grn FN Gas Check bullet, which I think I may have bought from the range office at Bisley.
    With the 405grn I settled on 40grn of Vhit N133, and it gave me 1396 fps. Sd of 14fps.
    38grn of H4198 gave 1526 fps with the same bullet, and an Sd of 11 fps.

Figures for the 350grn bullet were:- a bit of a mixed bag. I didn't record the results with H4198 (can't remember why). The Vhit gave me 1564 fps with 44grn, but the load showed an SD of 61 fps!
    45grns was better, yielding 1533 fps with an SD of just 26.
    I found the Vhit powder gave much sharper recoil than H4198.
    Both powderswere much more consistent with the 405grn bullet.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3 View Post
    Hi,
    I used to use 46gn of VIT N133 powder with 405gn cast Tim Hannam bullets, but found it punishing on the shoulder, then I was introduced to Reloader 7 42gn with same bullet and found softer kick and more accurate. I use the rounds in my Sharps Pedersoli rolling block rifle and have been using it since.
    I hope this is useful to you.
    Ajay
    Quote Originally Posted by stiffy-g View Post
    I've not got the answer to your question, as I too have been thinking it would be nice to use Vihtavuori.

I do note that Viht 110 is similar in speed to H4198, but I have no experience of it.

I currently use Lovex D060 (previously Accurate 5744), which is a fraction slower than H4198, in a Rugger No1 for both plinking (405 lead 20-25gns), and full loads (300 jacketed 35gns).

I hope you find your Vihtavuori load.
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    The only two powders I used in my .45-70 when I had it were H4198 and Vhit N133. I used both powders with two weights of lead bullet. A Howitzer 405grn FP bullet and a 350grn FN Gas Check bullet, which I think I may have bought from the range office at Bisley.
    With the 405grn I settled on 40grn of Vhit N133, and it gave me 1396 fps. Sd of 14fps.
    38grn of H4198 gave 1526 fps with the same bullet, and an Sd of 11 fps.

Figures for the 350grn bullet were:- a bit of a mixed bag. I didn't record the results with H4198 (can't remember why). The Vhit gave me 1564 fps with 44grn, but the load showed an SD of 61 fps!
    45grns was better, yielding 1533 fps with an SD of just 26.
    I found the Vhit powder gave much sharper recoil than H4198.
    Both powderswere much more consistent with the 405grn bullet.
    All very helpful replies there guys, thanks very much. I'm doing my best to get my .223 running on the same powder, so my research has narrowed it down to N130 & N133 which looks like a good choice for both calibers. Going to the shop later today so will get one or the other!

That data is just the starting point I was looking for, thanks. I'll drop 5 grains and work up of course.

Cheers
    Greg

Hi Greg,

Let us know how you got on.
    and which rifle are you going to your 45-70 in?

Ajay

You could just use reloaded 7 instead and it is made in Sweden according to the tub I have ?

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3 View Post
    Hi Greg,

Let us know how you got on.
    and which rifle are you going to your 45-70 in?

Ajay
    I've got the powder (N130) but have yet to start loading up some rounds. Planning on starting at 30gr under a 405gr hard cast bullet.

I've got the Japanese-made Winchester 1886.

Quote Originally Posted by aspen View Post
    You could just use reloaded 7 instead and it is made in Sweden according to the tub I have ?
    Yes I will give this a whirl if I can get hold of a bit to try out. Half the attraction of going to Viht was to get my .233 on the same stuff, which I'm also working on at the mo with N130.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    I've got the powder (N130) but have yet to start loading up some rounds. Planning on starting at 30gr under a 405gr hard cast bullet.

I've got the Japanese-made Winchester 1886.

Yes I will give this a whirl if I can get hold of a bit to try out. Half the attraction of going to Viht was to get my .233 on the same stuff, which I'm also working on at the mo with N130.

Cheers
    Greg
    reloder 7 works well with .223 and is good for cast lead as well in fact the book says the pressure with RL7 is almost half that of most of the other powders in my .30 cals with cast ?
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    Have you looked at Reloder7? supposed to be very good with the 45-70
    I think Reload Swiss do an equivalent Kenny. Apparently their process of controlled steeping of the kernels in nitro makes the burn much less spikey but with good velocity. Certainly with RS52 we pushed the hell out of the loads.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    reloder 7 works well with .223 and is good for cast lead as well in fact the book says the pressure with RL7 is almost half that of most of the other powders in my .30 cals with cast ?
    hi kenny
    just quickloaded the pressures on my .223
    with 53 gn vmax and 21 gn vit120 pressure is 53,000 psi ....with same powder charge with reloder 7 its 3000 psi less....more or less same speed

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Reload swiss powders use a different technology to add the Nitro which makes them less spikey. The FTR lot practically stamped powder into .308 cases and did not manage any nasty signs. Good powders.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

45-=70

seems vhit N120 & N130 ok on this wieght .. drop a donation

http://stevespages.com/458p_1_350.html