Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pax to stop making the phoenix rifle.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Bugger. I'll have to look out for a 2nd hand one in .177 then.
    Good deals with these members

That's a great pity. I have a carbine mk2 and a fast fire 10. Both are a lot of fun. Part of me wants to buy one of those last two and keep it in it's box! That would be a silly idea though. Someone needs to buy them and use them!

Quote Originally Posted by oneseven View Post
    That's a great pity. I have a carbine mk2 and a fast fire 10. Both are a lot of fun. Part of me wants to buy one of those last two and keep it in it's box! That would be a silly idea though. Someone needs to buy them and use them!
    I thought the same although at £825 I decided it was more than I could stretch to right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Westy_Boy View Post
    I thought the same although at £825 I decided it was more than I could stretch to right now.
    Westy, do you know if it just the Mk2 Phoenix?...or are they stopping production of the FF10 as well?
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Westy, do you know if it just the Mk2 Phoenix?...or are they stopping production of the FF10 as well?
    I have spoken with Hugh Earl around 4 weeks ago, he told me both are being stopped. They did still have a couple in the shop...

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    I have spoken with Hugh Earl around 4 weeks ago, he told me both are being stopped. They did still have a couple in the shop...
    Thank you.
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    Thanks for confirming. I must admit I didn't ask the question directly but assumed it would be both since, bar the stock, they are pretty much the same gun from a manufacture perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by oneseven View Post
    Snap. But i have tbe full length .177cal phoenix and .177cal ff10.

Pax to stop making the phoenix rifle.

I nearly bought a carbine a good few years ago for my son but we disliked it's top heavy balance, to anyone who's shot both, is the rifle better balanced without as much top heavy feel?

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    I nearly bought a carbine a good few years ago for my son but we disliked it's top heavy balance, to anyone who's shot both, is the rifle better balanced without as much top heavy feel?
    Don't confuse top heavy with butt (!) heavy. Having the weight to the rear is great for coming quickly to aim, and allied to the rapid on-aim cycling this makes it an ideal hunting rifle. I have used mine (both calibres)for HFT competitions and I'm delighted to say they are is as accurate as you'd want - indeed I'm thinking of going to .22 next HFT season and if so I'd be happy to use the Phoenix again. However, over the least couple of years I've found forward-heavy rifles with a hamster have been great for my shooting, so I'd perhaps struggle going back to the Phoenix.
    AA TX200, HFT 500, AS400 .22
    Daystate Grand Prix & Mk3
    Parker-Hale/PAX Phoenix Mk2: .22 & .177

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    What are the Mk2 Phoenix' like in .177?

I've wanted one of these for years, it might be time to finally pull the trigger.
    Quite simply - great! I have the carbine version in both calibres. If I was buying another I'd probably get the rifle length one, if only for the shot count.
    AA TX200, HFT 500, AS400 .22
    Daystate Grand Prix & Mk3
    Parker-Hale/PAX Phoenix Mk2: .22 & .177

They are all out of .177cal. Only .22cal left. Guessing they made more .22cal anyway so the .177cal will be rarer in the future. But he did say they have plenty of parts to service the guns that are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    They are all out of .177cal. Only .22cal left. Guessing they made more .22cal anyway so the .177cal will be rarer in the future. But he did say they have plenty of parts to service the guns that are out there.
    I did ask if they had spares they were looking to sell off, and whether they would still be servicing, the response I got was "Yes, we still have most parts which are used to service the rifles, but none that we want to dispose of."

The 'most parts' is a bit of a worry I suppose.
    Last edited by Westy_Boy; 14-03-2018 at 02:24 PM.