Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Enfield .303

Lee Enfield .303

Good evening
    I am about to purchase a Lee Enfield .303.
    I already reload other calibre.

Do you have any loads for .303. Also what bullets do you use.
    Does anyone have any .303 brass they no longer want?

Thank you in advance.

I shoot cast bullets, mainly 155gn .316 from an NOE mould over 16gn of Alliant 2400 which gives me something like 1600fps.

The best way I’ve found of getting brass is to shoot Privi factory rounds and keep the brass. With the lower powered rounds it lasts seemingly indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    I shoot cast bullets, mainly 155gn .316 from an NOE mould over 16gn of Alliant 2400 which gives me something like 1600fps.

The best way I’ve found of getting brass is to shoot Privi factory rounds and keep the brass. With the lower powered rounds it lasts seemingly indefinitely.
    That's how everybody in our club keeps their .303 British shooting. Depending on the age, variant et al of your L-E, the bore can be anything between .311" and .315", so it might be a good idea to find out as soon as you get it.

@OP - Tell us all about it, please. We likes L-E's.

tac

I use 174grain bullets, with 41.5grains of Swiss RS50 powder in my Long Branch No4 mk1*. I can only shoot to a maximum of 300yds at our range, but it shoots very well at that distance.
    HuMa regulated S200 .22...
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

Quote Originally Posted by bhodge View Post
    I use 174grain bullets, with 41.5grains of Swiss RS50 powder in my Long Branch No4 mk1*. I can only shoot to a maximum of 300yds at our range, but it shoots very well at that distance.
    Nice load and v.popular. Try and find some flat-base bullets to see that LB really shoot.

Sealand Club, is it?

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    That's how everybody in our club keeps their .303 British shooting. Depending on the age, variant et al of your L-E, the bore can be anything between .311" and .315", so it might be a good idea to find out as soon as you get it.

@OP - Tell us all about it, please. We likes L-E's.

tac
    Mine is a 1942 No.4 Mk1 Faz that was re-barrelled in the 50's, probably when it also gained the FTR stamp. The throat comes out at .314 with a pound cast, hence the .316 bullets.

Interesting reading gents, my S.M.L.E. (1935 BSA Commercial from the Bahrain contract) is a bit of a shelf queen so only comes out for special events and gets fed on a diet of S&B.

I'm wondering about reloading (and have been for ages), how much are you guys reloading each round for ??
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Using scrap lead I can load a box of 50 for about four to five quid.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    Using scrap lead I can load a box of 50 for about four to five quid.
    totally correct - the only way to go.
    I use the NOE 200gr ('ish) mould (316299 if memory serves me) sized to .315"
    2400 powder for velocities up to around 2000fps or Accurate 5744 (Lovex D060) around 25gr for higher velocites.
    Cast fairly soft, good lube (I use an American lune - Carauba Red) and a gas check (a must!)

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Interesting reading gents, my S.M.L.E. (1935 BSA Commercial from the Bahrain contract) is a bit of a shelf queen so only comes out for special events and gets fed on a diet of S&B. I'm wondering about reloading (and have been for ages), how much are you guys reloading each round for ??
    First, figure on around £250 - 300 to get you started with reloading kit - or buy second-hand - most quality presses last forever.

Many, MANY posts on ths forum about reloading. Do you know anybody already into it?

tac

Nice load and v.popular. Try and find some flat-base bullets to see that LB really shoot.

Sealand Club, is it?

tac
    Oswestry pistol & rifle club, but shoot at Sealand...
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

First, figure on around £250 - 300 to get you started with reloading kit - or buy second-hand - most quality presses last forever.

Many, MANY posts on ths forum about reloading. Do you know anybody already into it?

tac
    Yes, I have someone who is experienced and can advise\assist\help and there will probably be a few of us looking to share some kit. I'm not sure how long it will take for it to save me money but I kind of like the idea of reloading anyway.

I really need to do my homework beforehand though.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Quote Originally Posted by drogo View Post
    Good evening
    I am about to purchase a Lee Enfield .303.
    I already reload other calibre.

Do you have any loads for .303. Also what bullets do you use.
    Does anyone have any .303 brass they no longer want?

Thank you in advance.
    If you can get to see some unresized fired cases, so much the better.

L-E chambers can be cut too deep, causing cases to swell just ahead of the web - which means they may separate on firing the first or second reload. Theoretically the shoulder should roll forward, but usually it doesn't because the brass is workhardened by the short shoulder's double-bend.
    I ended up shooting factory loads, new cases, or once fired from other tight chambers in my Mk.III*.
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by bhodge View Post
    Oswestry pistol & rifle club, but shoot at Sealand...
    Thank you.

I'd like to pay a visit over there sometime - we have relatives in Shotton.

tac

Thank you.

I'd like to pay a visit over there sometime - we have relatives in Shotton.

tac
    My wife is from Shotton... and we live just a few miles from there.
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177