Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me scratch the itch please

Help me scratch the itch please

Hi folks

As much as I'm trying not to succumb, I want a CO2 replica pistol. It's going to be either a Webley Service, an Umarex Legends Luger (the WW2 battlefield finish with the brown grips), or a SAA Peacemaker. I think I've got those names right, I hope you know what I'm talking about!

If you could buy only one, which would it be? I know it's a personal thing, but am interested in your take.

Thanks a lot.
    I'm the last person you think I am, unless you think I'm Neil Armstrong

Hi. Webley mkVI, excellent replica, well made, iffy accuracy.
    Umarex P08, excellent replica, some reliability issues, iffy accuracy (don't even consider the parabellum non blowback version).
    Colt SAA, excellent replica, well made, excellent accuracy in bb or pellet version. Haven't heard a bad word said about the SAA.

Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post
    Hi. Webley mkVI, excellent replica, well made, iffy accuracy.
    Umarex P08, excellent replica, some reliability issues, iffy accuracy (don't even consider the parabellum non blowback version).
    Colt SAA, excellent replica, well made, excellent accuracy in bb or pellet version. Haven't heard a bad word said about the SAA.
    Thanks Ade. Very helpful. I must admit my primary consideration is how good a replica it is! I'm not actually that fussed about how accurate it shoots, as sad as that sounds.

I think I am leaning towards the SAA...

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

My Replica Co2 Pistol Recommendations (for what they are worth lol) ...

My WW2 suggestion: The Battlefield Webley MK.VI. It is wonderful. You'd not regret it in either BB or pellet.

My Western suggestion is the Schofield. Again it is wonderful and you'd not regret it in either a BB or pellet.

The above two have the same mechanics and take the same cartridges. I have one of each, and both, as stated, are truly fantastic.

The Colt SAA Peacemaker is a good looking replica gun, but the loading/unloading system truly gets on my nerves after about half an hour.

The Dan Wesson 2.5" barrel BB revolver is the dogs danglies, too. however (got one of them as well), and is possibly my favourite? Hope this all helps?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    My WW2 suggestion: The Battlefield Webley MK.VI. It is wonderful. You'd not regret it in either BB or pellet.

My Western suggestion is the Schofield. Again it is wonderful and you'd not regret it in either a BB or pellet.

The above two have the same mechanics and take the same cartridges. I have one of each, and both, as stated, are truly fantastic.

The Colt SAA Peacemaker is a good looking replica gun, but the loading/unloading system truly gets on my nerves after about half an hour.

The Dan Wesson 2.5" barrel BB revolver is the dogs danglies, too. however (got one of them as well), and is possibly my favourite? Hope this all helps?
    It does indeed help, thanks a lot. I’d not even considered the Dan Wesson, but I’ve just had a look. I like it a lot...!

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    The KWC P08 is astonishingly good. A superb and accurate replica even down to field stripping. With good quality BB's it's capable of acceptably decent accuracy- as long as you do your bit

To be fair the SAA and MK VI are also very good in pellet guise. Another to look at, but more modern, are the KWC Tanfoglio competition pistols if you want to get involved in IPAS or IPSC practical shooting. If you want to stick with 'classics' then the Colt 1911A1 replica is very good indeed. Very well made and again can be quite accurate, the best thing is that it only refers to Colt on the slide. It's also easy to fit genuine walnut grips to it if you want.

https://www.surplusstore.co.uk/air-w...d-edition.html
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by CaineIsCarter View Post

It does indeed help, thanks a lot. I’d not even considered the Dan Wesson, but I’ve just had a look. I like it a lot...!
    I'm glad, you are welcome, and if you are only going to go for the one revolver (to start with, lol ), you'd not go far wrong with the Dan Wesson.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Don't get the Umarex Legends version of the PO8. It has "WW11" in white lettering on the side of it which, imo, makes it look rather silly.

Buy the non legend one (still full blowback and field strippable) and distress it yourself which is really easy using a magic eraser - cheaper and looks better.

https://imgur.com/a/wQA78
    Last edited by PaulR; 02-03-2018 at 10:19 AM.

I have a liking for all of the above (and more) but if I had to choose one classic CO2 clone over others it would be the Umarex P38 with battle worn finish. It looks and feels authentic, has a realistic blowback action, strips similarly to an original and above all, shoots accurately.

John

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    Don't get the Umarex Legends version of the PO8. It has "WW11" in white lettering on the side of it which, imo, makes it look rather silly.

Buy the non legend one (still full blowback and field strippable) and distress it yourself which is really easy using a magic eraser - cheaper and looks better.

Not heard of a magic eraser- very impressed with the effect you got- where can I get one?

https://imgur.com/a/wQA78
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I have a liking for all of the above (and more) but if I had to choose one classic CO2 clone over others it would be the Umarex P38 with battle worn finish. It looks and feels authentic, has a realistic blowback action, strips similarly to an original and above all, shoots accurately.

John
    Oh thanks for that- more expense coming up....

Thanks for the replies. I went onto the Versandhaus site to see how much cheaper these pistols are than at my inflated local dealer, then I stumbled across the PPK, and the MP40....

Quote Originally Posted by CaineIsCarter View Post

Thanks for the replies. I went onto the Versandhaus site to see how much cheaper these pistols are than at my inflated local dealer, then I stumbled across the PPK, and the MP40....
    Yep, the more you look the more you end up adding to your 'must have' want list ... Seems then that you are doomed. Welcome to the collecting club.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Yep, the more you look the more you end up adding to your 'must have' want list ... Seems then that you are doomed. Welcome to the collecting club.

---walks away whistling a tuneless melody----

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post

--- walks away whistling a tuneless melody ---
    Not totally tuneless, as I'll name that tune in one: "Keep on Keeping on" (Curtis Mayfield ).

I've always had a thing about western pistols right back to when I were a lad (remember LONE STAR cap guns), so the obvious replica for me was a Colt SAA. I loved the look of the Crosman Remington 1875 but went right off it when some wally decided to put COWBOY in big letters on the side of the frame. Ruined the authenticity for me, which left the Umarex Colt SAA as the only option.
    At the shooting show there was a stand selling these at a good discount and I picked up a 71/2" rifled barrelled nickel one. What a gun. The only downside for me is that it only comes with 6 pellet shells so I've added another dozen.
    Don't be put off by the seemingly endless reloading as that is all part of the pleasure of owning one and the best pellets I've found so far have been RWS Geco and RWS Hobby.
    Other stuff you should consider for general maintenance are Pellgun Oil, felt cleaning pellets (I have Remington Cleansers) and a silicon cloth to wipe off the inevitable fingerprints, all of which you can get from J S Ramsbottom at very reasonable cost and no I'm not related or employed by them.
    There was a very useful video by Umarex on U-tube regarding maintenance of these guns until a few days ago which has since been pulled.

Enjoy
    Peace through superior firepower