Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R10 low on power..

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    You must say abracadabra when you tap it with a magic wand otherwise that repair method doesnt work
    XTX suggested it mate. The piston does have a tendency to stick if the gun has not been used for a while and a couple of taps on the reg body can dislodge it. I tested the gun again today. It is still spot on with 5 fps spread. I fired 30 15.89 grs AA fields and 20 JSB heavies and the reg is working fine now.

Thanks.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    XTX suggested it mate. The piston does have a tendency to stick if the gun has not been used for a while and a couple of taps on the reg body can dislodge it. I tested the gun again today. It is still spot on with 5 fps spread. I fired 30 15.89 grs AA fields and 20 JSB heavies and the reg is working fine now.

Thanks.

A.G
    Piston in the reg? The reg is the only bit I didn't remove... I think I'm just going to buy a huma & fit it. I've been wanting to do that anyway so it may just save a bit of faffing later... Thanks for the info sir
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Piston in the reg? The reg is the only bit I didn't remove... I think I'm just going to buy a huma & fit it. I've been wanting to do that anyway so it may just save a bit of faffing later... Thanks for the info sir
    I had the same idea about Huma but I just haven't got around to removing the AT cap from the reg. Perhpas I will order one in the spring and have some fun fitting it.

A.G

Fair play A.G.

If it works etc.

Many a job on the mowers is cured by the standard issue ... Technical Tap.

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I had the same idea about Huma but I just haven't got around to removing the AT cap from the reg. Perhpas I will order one in the spring and have some fun fitting it.

A.G

The anti tamper cap on my R10 was easy to remove. The pin holding the cap on wasn't that tight, just tapped the cap a few time and pulled the pin out.

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    James

How many taps does JB do on a standard Blueprint?
    None mate. He puts the BSA "regulator" in the bin where it belongs

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid7Nick View Post
    The anti tamper cap on my R10 was easy to remove. The pin holding the cap on wasn't that tight, just tapped the cap a few time and pulled the pin out.
    From watching the video xtx provides he said that servicing the reg is very difficult.. is this true? I'm a bit poor currently & a huma is a bit of an expensive fix for me at the moment whereas a few orings & my time feels much more cost saving currently if you know what I mean.
    Thanks
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

From watching the video xtx provides he said that servicing the reg is very difficult.. is this true? I'm a bit poor currently & a huma is a bit of an expensive fix for me at the moment whereas a few orings & my time feels much more cost saving currently if you know what I mean.
    Thanks
    Rhys
    It is not a very difficult task but he refuses to work on the R 10 regulators now probably preferring to sell the Humas. Why buy yourself headache given the time it takes to get these things serviced?

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by rancidtom View Post
    The BSA reg can be very prone to temperature fluctuations, much more so than a HuMa or Tench reg. There are lots of other reasons for a rifle to drop MV in the cold but it really shouldn't be more than about 0.5FtLb off what the gun is doing in "normal" ambient temps. Although the weather is a bit unseasonably cold here in Manchester we're probably only 4 or 5 degrees colder than average for this time of year and the cold snap will be over soon.
    Try bringing the gun in the house, let it warm up for at least an hour and chrono it while still warm if possible (a cardborad box with a few Argos catalogues or phone books makes a decent pellet trap that's fairly quiet to use in the kitchen if you are allowed!).
    Although BSA's aren't normally over-lubed at the factory any lube (oil or grease) that has crept or migrated into the hammer assembly will be thicker in the cold weather slowing hammer strike and reducing MV.
    A strip, clean, degrease and re-lube may be all you need but remember to chrono at room temp (20 degrees C) as that is the temperature the police and the forensics laboratories will chrono at, if you set a gun for 11.5FtLb at 1 degree ambient it will certainly be close to or over the 12FtLb at 20 C.
    If the gun has developed a "power curve" then you could try fitting new O rings to the regulator (make sure you don't disturb the pressure adjustment), which may cure it but the BSA reg design tends to limit itself (lowering MV) when filled over 200 Bar. You will also need to check that the BSA reg doesn't "spike" (cause a rise in MV) around the 100-80Bar fill pressure area. This is a common characteristic of the standard reg. Make certain that if your reg "spikes" it doesn't take you over 12 FtLb.
    Ok.. testing today and it's shooting 290-350fps with 14grn sniper lites.. just changed the prob oring and that didn't change anything so what next? I'm a bit loathed to spend on it as I want to sell it now anyway

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Ok.. testing today and it's shooting 290-350fps with 14grn sniper lites.. just changed the prob oring and that didn't change anything so what next? I'm a bit loathed to spend on it as I want to sell it now anyway
    It sounds like the reg is leaking through, so the hammer is seeing twice the pressure it's supposed to. Take the reg apart and replace the seals yourself, or accept that you'll be selling the gun for a fair bit below to allow for the cost of the repair.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    It sounds like the reg is leaking through, so the hammer is seeing twice the pressure it's supposed to. Take the reg apart and replace the seals yourself, or accept that you'll be selling the gun for a fair bit below to allow for the cost of the repair.
    A new huma is £100 so I'll advertise it for £430
    Thanks JB
    Rhys

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid7Nick View Post
    Mine is quite tightly homed in. I know how to take it out when the time comes.

A.G

Sell

Sell it get an HW. Problems solved

Quote Originally Posted by series2a View Post
    Sell it get an HW. Problems solved
    I have had and still have HW 100s. They just work.

A.G