Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell tale signs

Tell tale signs

Post removed
    Last edited by boof; 05-03-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Just about anyone can do it, there are juniors who manage (maybe with the lighter "short" pistols), there are plenty of disabled shooters who are allowed to shoot from wheelchairs too (some are allowed adaptions and rests to help with their disability). If you have reasonable eyesight in one eye and can pick the gun up one handed and hold it reasonably still for 10 secs or so at arms length shooting position while sighting with the good (dominant) eye then you should be fine. The rest is just technique and practice, you will gain strength in the required muscles as you practice. Visit a club, if the club has a coach ask for an assessment and follow their advice right from the start, it will save you time and money, you won't buy a gun that isn't suitable and you won't have to un-learn bad techniques.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by boof View Post
    Hi Peeps, are there any tell tale signs that make you suitable or not to 10 metre target pistol shooting
    Strange question it may be
    Tell tale signs? When you say "suitable" - do you mean "potentially good" ?

If you enjoy it enough to want to do it and have the resilience to overcome the disappointments that we all suffer during our pistol shooting careers then that is a good indicator that you are indeed "suitable" for 10 meter pistol shooting.

Nobody ever said it was easy (not to me at least) so you have to work at it to improve - or even maintain a good average.

Without this determination and commitment it is unlikely that you could ever be "suitable" for 10 meter pistol shooting.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I took up 10m pistol a couple of years ago at the ripe age of 49, and though I need reading glasses to adjust the sights and do other stuff, I have really enjoyed my progress, and been equally mystified by the plateaus and backward steps I seem to take too.

Much to learn there is!

As a club instructor (for Smallbore Rifle, but the principle is the same), I'd say "do you listen?" Any target shooting sport requires some new techniques. If you don't want to listen to advice from coaches and instructors, you won't progress properly.

I can explain basic points to some folks until I'm blue in the face, but it goes in one ear and straight out the other. Needless to say, their targets don't look good.

More generally reasonable physical fitness won't hurt. Good eyesight is an advantage, but many top shooters wear glasses.

Determination to do better, willingness to listen, learn and analyse, single mindedness regarding the long journey ahead, being grown up regarding goals, willingness to help others do better you learn so much that way, even tempered and not easily put off.

I could go on but I bet you get my drift, this sport is not instant.

BigEars Guest
    The ability to put a bad shot out of your mind and continue to concentrate on doing what works is useful. Also accept that you are always capable of wrecking a good card by a moment of inattention. It's a wonderfully calming sport, you need to be able to relax both physically and mentally, and let "it" happen.

Quote Originally Posted by boof View Post
    Hi Peeps, are there any tell tale signs that make you suitable or not to 10 metre target pistol shooting
    Strange question it may be
    The responses so far answer your question, one word has been missed however; you will need to be a PATIENT person to succeed (or just naturally very skilled).
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Quote Originally Posted by trick cyclist View Post
    I took up 10m pistol a couple of years ago at the ripe age of 49, and though I need reading glasses to adjust the sights and do other stuff, I have really enjoyed my progress, and been equally mystified by the plateaus and backward steps I seem to take too.

Much to learn there is!
    That's a good one. For the first time I got all 5 in a very tight clover leaf in the 9 and 10 ring, it was just like they were destined to land there; I was in the zone...I had arrived I stopped while the going was good. Next day, it was not so good As long as you identify where you went wrong, there is the opportunity to put it right....usually 100% concentration on the front sight (alone) and an effortless trigger release is my Achilles.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    That's a good one. For the first time I got all 5 in a very tight clover leaf in the 9 and 10 ring, it was just like they were destined to land there; I was in the zone...I had arrived I stopped while the going was good. Next day, it was not so good As long as you identify where you went wrong, there is the opportunity to put it right....usually 100% concentration on the front sight (alone) and an effortless trigger release is my Achilles.
    Yes, you get to that point, then you put a card up with a little white sticker in the corner (AKA 'bullet deflector'), and the whole thing turns into a crock of shit!

And why has the OP removed his post?
    Last edited by trick cyclist; 11-03-2018 at 04:47 PM. Reason: OP gone!

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Yes, you get to that point, then you put a card up with a little white sticker in the corner (AKA 'bullet deflector'), and the whole thing turns into a crock of shit!
    And we've all been there - many, many times

There are naturally gifted shooters who, with a trigger at one end and a hole at the other, can really annoy you by shooting any weapon to a high standard while making it look easy.

For the rest of us, practice of good technique backed up by relevant quality coaching is the way to go.

With a large bucket of patience for good measure
    ATB,
    Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

That's a bit odd? Maybe the OP thought it would stop any further responses! In which case un-subscribe from the thread would be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    And we've all been there - many, many times

There are naturally gifted shooters who, with a trigger at one end and a hole at the other, can really annoy you by shooting any weapon to a high standard while making it look easy.

For the rest of us, practice of good technique backed up by relevant quality coaching is the way to go.

With a large bucket of patience for good measure
    ATB,
    Mike.
    And you didn't mention Zooma or I.J. once (oops)

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    And you didn't mention Zooma or I.J. once (oops)
    The allusion was to "Hippo" Wray really - I. J. shoots well with the threat of a house brick to the head to ensure follow through. He tries to see the pellet go through the card by ducking down to look through the scope (even when it's been removed )

The small white lead deflectors are particularly effective on his targets.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

I wonder if he didn't like the advice given.

He removed all his posts from the Clothing Thread too.