Thread: Feinwerkbau P44.

Feinwerkbau P44.

About the time I returned to target shooting (after a 40 year break) in 2009 - 2010 I bought a Feinwerkbau P44 - the only reason for this choice was that I had shot really well with the FWB Model 65 and Model 80 match pistols in the 70's and so stayed with the brand that had served me so well in the past.

I started the Rossendale MTC then, and some of our members followed suite and also bought FWB P44 match pistols so at one time we probably had 5 or 6 being shot on a regular basis every week with some others lurking in the area that did not make such a regular appearance on the club range.

Most of these were the early type that were finished in a pale blue anodised finish but some were also the later type that started to come through in black until they were discontinued and replaced by the P8X.

Gradually all of the P44 pistols left the club and were replaced by pistols such as the Steyr LP10, LP10E and LP2 with various others including the SAM, Bennelli, Pardini and Walther LP300 making a showing too.

Looking back at it now, one of the main reasons why the pistol fell from favour was its high sight line - all those mentioned above had lower sight lines that just "felt better", but further memory searching recalls that none of us really shot any better with their "low sightline" replacements!

As I was sifting through my "shelves of treasure" today I found that I still had some nice grips to fit the P44. I no longer had the original medium size Morini type that was supplied with my new P44, but I did have one of the later type grips that was made by Minelli (medium size) that FWB changed to on their later models. A walnut (large size) RINK grip and a Laminated RINK grip (medium size) complete the collection.

The laminated RINK grip was my earliest "option" grip purchase - and it never got used - as it was too small to fit my hand!! At that time I did not know how important it was to buy "one size up" when ordering a new RINK grip!

I had previously tried to sell these grips but I had no response at all - hardly surprising with so few P44 seen in action these days!

Another option for me to consider that may help me to get some "use" out of these grips (not the laminated medium sized RINK ) is to find a nice P44 (at the right price) and enjoy shooting "something different" at our club and find out if (as I suspect) that the results I can achieve with this "high sightline" match pistol are really not any different to what I currently score with my Morini 162ie.

Are there any other BBS members that have fond (or otherwise) memories of shooting with a P44 ?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

My shooting started like yours with a FWB 80 then i went to a p30 before my p44. Fantastic and never faultered but i have a fettish for ssp's so also bought a Baikal 46m..(never found a FWB ssp) it sat for too long not getting shot so i moved it on.
    It was not a problem with the FWB it was supriemly accurate and very easy to shoot but its more of a challange with the Izzy and i shoot for a challange not competition.

The sight line on my P44 has never bothered me although I find I do have to drop my wrist more with this gun than other pistols even with the grips adjusted for me. I love it and doubt I'll ever sell.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Bob,the only FWB I have ever shot was a 103, which had the best trigger I have ever used
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Quote Originally Posted by tufty View Post
    Bob,the only FWB I have ever shot was a 103, which had the best trigger I have ever used
    I was also fortunate enough to be the "temporary custodian" of an FWB 103 and agree that it had a superb trigger.

My 103 was a mk2 (these came in a similar pale blue colour to the early P44 match pistols) and the trigger on the P44 felt very similar.

The P44 failed to gain any real international support and few (if any) could be seen in use at any of the international championships during its production life span.

Maybe Feinwerkbau did not succeed in finding any suitable competitors to sponsor - or maybe the high sight line was not a desirable feature during the time period that it was in current production, but this lack of exposure would appear to have affected its desirability as a serious choice too and most opted to spend their "hard-earned" on a Steyr or Morini instead!

I bought my P44 from a fellow club member about 5 years ago at a very good price although I owned a Morini 162EI for at least 10 years then but thought I would 'have a change'.
    I kept both pistols for about 6 months not being able to decide which I preferred and in the end I sold the Morini which,on reflection, I think was a big mistake. Both pistols had their merits and the high sight line on the FWB never bothered me but I think the Morini was the better pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by AC99 View Post
    I bought my P44 from a fellow club member about 5 years ago at a very good price although I owned a Morini 162EI for at least 10 years then but thought I would 'have a change'.
    I kept both pistols for about 6 months not being able to decide which I preferred and in the end I sold the Morini which,on reflection, I think was a big mistake. Both pistols had their merits and the high sight line on the FWB never bothered me but I think the Morini was the better pistol.
    Your thoughts regarding the Morini being the better pistol is something that I agree with - at least thats what I thought at the time as I actually bought a Morini 162ie after I sold my last P44 !

I never regretted buying the Morini but several years later I think it would be nice to own a P44 again.

If I can find one at an affordable price I would enjoy owning one again and shooting it at the club for a change now and again - and I do have a good choice of grips already!

Still interested in a nice P44 - if the price is right!

Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    I am away until Monday next week, but I will enquire after I have seen one that has just turned-up locally.