Thread: Bsa superstar end catch in bits

Bsa superstar end catch in bits

Finally got a free hour to look at a project superstar I bought and its great apart from the paint job and end catch, its in bits and does not seem to look like any of the end catches online. Can anyone help if these are even the right bits in there? They do not match up apart from the retaining pin holes.
    Does anyone have a picture of a complete catch as I think a steel one is going to have to be made up.

Quote Originally Posted by rovercoupe View Post
    Finally got a free hour to look at a project superstar I bought and its great apart from the paint job and end catch, its in bits and does not seem to look like any of the end catches online. Can anyone help if these are even the right bits in there? They do not match up apart from the retaining pin holes.
    Does anyone have a picture of a complete catch as I think a steel one is going to have to be made up.

Funny, I have just had to make up a set this week. Tried the usual suppliers used for spares but no luck. The parts comprise of a small washer, spring, a small wire ring, a short plastic tube, and the main plastic body. The wire ring is the part that latches on to the lug on the barrel. Looks like you have broken parts of the tube and main body. Here is a pic of the main part, I had to make mine from Delrin. I can do a drawing of how it all goes together if you want.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 02-03-2018 at 09:14 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

That would be great, i have no wire ring to latch onto the barrel so could not work out how its was ment to latch!

Quote Originally Posted by rovercoupe View Post
    That would be great, i have no wire ring to latch onto the barrel so could not work out how its was ment to latch!
    Will put a sketch on here tomorrow and you will see how it works, takes a bit to get your head around how these parts work together. Also forgot to mention the tiny metal pin required.

Baz

[QUOTE=Benelli B76;7449573]I can do a drawing of how it all goes together if you want.

Baz

If you could do that I would appreciate it hugely, I have a phosphor bronze push button that someone on here made years back, I'd like to finally get it fitted to my Venomac Goldstar.

Hope you can get your heads around the drawing. The whole unit of course fits into the cocking lever tube which I have left out for clarity. The little pin which is about 2.8 mm dia holds the whole unit in place by sticking through the top side of the cocking lever. The wire ring must be able to fit into the notch of the locking lug on the barrel. The stop washer slides down into the cocking lever until it hits a ledge where it sits to hold the spring. The plastic sleeve slides on the main body to hold the wire ring in place against the machined shoulder on the body. You can work out all your dimensions from the cocking lever.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]

That makes perfect sense thanks for that it explains why it is not working and what i need to knock up.
    Just need the weather to get a bit warmer so I don't freeze in the garage!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Yeah, I just made an ali replacement when mine broke.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

One of my Superstars had "sticky" latch plunger due to previous owner(s) slamming the under-lever closed indenting the thin wall by contact with the fixed latching pin. I needed to grind a boring bar to carefully scrape or de-burr the the damaged areas to get the plunger out and quite a time involved to do carefully. Fortunately, the plastic plunger was not broken, or damaged and worked fine after cleaning up the area.

I made a sketch of the component dimensions for future reference to make in brass or bronze. I do not have a cosmos photograph hosting website and do not want one. I am not sure if a photograph can be attached to a reply in a thread, or even if it is not permitted in the forum rules. Maybe, it is possible in a PM? If someone can advise, or, I can email it to a member to host, I am happy to share the photograph of the sketch. I apologise for not being savvy about transporting a photograph through the cosmos.....

All the best...

Thought I better add this for those who want to make their own. Managed to get an original BSA unit to measure. The missing dimension of the slot depth is 4.5 mm.

Baz

Thanks for that, I still have to mount my new chuck on the lathe so its still on the project list but thats saved me a fair bit of time.

Well its still a bit rough round the edges but it works! Knocked up from a scrap 12mm bolt. Far better than that plastic nonsense and has a lovely click when closed.

Just need to get the bluing process sorted and then its time to strip the paint back.

The standard one also clicks as the barrel catch should be locking up on the steel ring, not plastic. Yours will be much more robust, I would blue it with G96 Crème, 2 minute job.

Baz