Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini cannon

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world

Mini cannon

I saw this item on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-A...013849&sr=8-57
    and was curious how Amazon could be selling it, as they aren't an RFD. I contacted the seller, who said it wasn't sold as a firearm & they could ship directly to me in the UK from China.
    Anyone think this is likely, I expect Customs would stop it. But I'm interested in Amazon's & the sellers legal stance here.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    I saw this item on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-A...013849&sr=8-57
    and was curious how Amazon could be selling it, as they aren't an RFD. I contacted the seller, who said it wasn't sold as a firearm & they could ship directly to me in the UK from China.
    Anyone think this is likely, I expect Customs would stop it. But I'm interested in Amazon's & the sellers legal stance here.

If it's drilled through to the chamber, then it is not only a firearm, but likely, with a teeny barrel like that, to be classed as a concealable weapon and therefore prohibited under the Firearms Act.

However, don't let that stop you from buying one. Let us know how you get on, eh?

tac

Although this would be a fun little item, and free from restriction in the USA and a lot of the sane world, it would undoubtedly be restricted here - the only debate would be sec 1 or sec 5.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Although this would be a fun little item, and free from restriction in the USA and a lot of the sane world, it would undoubtedly be restricted here - the only debate would be sec 1 or sec 5.
    Well, it's a VERY short smoothbore, for a start, so it's at least Section 1, but I'd be more concerned about the 'offensive weapon' aspect.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 03-03-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Section 1 in this country, we shoot them at club.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

I agree with tac. I think it would be a prohibited firearm.

I know cannons are legal here, but I thought they had to be a minimum length with a bore no larger than 1-1/2".(The 1-1/2" might only apply to punt guns)?

I'm interested to know what is allowed, just in case I fancy getting one.

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    I emailed the seller, who is in China, and sounds ignorant of UK laws. I also emailed Amazon, who said initially they think it's Section 1 but are seeking advice before pulling it.

I do fancy a little cannon.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    I agree with tac. I think it would be a prohibited firearm.

I know cannons are legal here, but I thought they had to be a minimum length with a bore no larger than 1-1/2".(The 1-1/2" might only apply to punt guns)?
    2" for punt guns.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Section 1 in this country, we shoot them at club.
    Even so short?

Elucidation would be appreciated, since I'm floundering here.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Even so short?

Elucidation would be appreciated, since I'm floundering here.

tac
    Not to sure, never seen anyone with one so small, usually 6-12".
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

It's a muzzle loader so I don't think there is a minimum barrel length.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    It's a muzzle loader so I don't think there is a minimum barrel length.
    ..is correct. But it is still S1.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I found this snippet but not much else.

Shotgun or Firearm? There is no reason why you should not be permitted to have one or more cannon if you already have a Shotgun Certificate (SGC) or Firearms Certificate (FAC). A smooth bore of less than 2” calibre with a barrel at least 24” long is a shotgun and can be placed on a SGC. Anything else is a firearm.

I'll have a mooch and see what I can find out.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    I found this snippet but not much else.

Shotgun or Firearm? There is no reason why you should not be permitted to have one or more cannon if you already have a Shotgun Certificate (SGC) or Firearms Certificate (FAC). A smooth bore of less than 2” calibre with a barrel at least 24” long is a shotgun and can be placed on a SGC. Anything else is a firearm.

I'll have a mooch and see what I can find out.
    My concern is how the PTB view a firearm with a barrel of around 2" that has no 'stock'. Most mini-cannon I've seen are at least 6" long barrel-wise, and Section 1. A SGC would cover multiple shotguns of the type covered by the Shtogun Certificate, but NOT a Section 1 shotgun like this. One Section 1 shotgun = 1 entry on a FAC.

tac

I have three table top cannons with barrels of between 11 and 12". They are all section 1. It doesn't matter if they are smoothbore or rifled (except for competition purposes) as they are under 24" barrel length. Anything over 24" and with a bore up to two inch can be held on a SGC. Obviously the small ones are more dangerous in the eyes of officialdom! This little tiny one would def be section 1.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi