Thread: 1st ever Air Pistol. 2nd hand Walther LP400 or new Steyr LP2? Opinions please. Thanks

1st ever Air Pistol. 2nd hand Walther LP400 or new Steyr LP2? Opinions please. Thanks

I am going to buy my first ever competition air pistol. The club where Im at have a 2 year old Walther LP400 thats practically never been used. I also have gained interest in a new Steyr LP2 online...both going for almost identical prices...around €1130. Opinions are much appreciated. Thanks! Chris

You may get a better response posting this question in the Target/Competition Shooting sub-Forum on here; lots of knowledgeable Target folk in there.

BTW Welcome on your first post :-)
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Yeah, what he said.
    When spending that kind of money I'd say it's essential to shoot both and see which one fits you better

[QUOTE=Aimstraight;7450492]You may get a better response posting this question in the Target/Competition Shooting sub-Forum on here; lots of knowledgeable Target folk in there.

Thanks for reply. Ive posted to the thread you suggested!

Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post
    Yeah, what he said.
    When spending that kind of money I'd say it's essential to shoot both and see which one fits you better
    Thanks for your reply! My issue is that I have no way of testing a Steyr unless I buy one...so Im a bit stuck there.

Steyr have a UK distributor and service facility so I think it would be easier to resolve any issues with a Steyr rather than a Walther.

Just another aspect of ownership to consider.

I have a Steyr LP2 Compact and it is fantastic.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Steyr

Steyr all the way. I have heard pf problems getting parts for Walthers but cannot confirm this!
    I started this life with nothing and I still have most of it left!

I'm guessing you into serious pistol target work? If you interested are broader, I might recommend a Drulov Du-10 if you can find one. They're not as expensive, mine cost me £250 a couple of months ago. CO2 powered, but the capsule sits upside down in a chamber which then fills with liquid co2 under pressure. This gives a larger area for it to absorb heat from, makes it better for rapid shooting by minimising cool down. This is important because it can hold 5 or 6 pellets depending on pellet length, and can fire them off VERY fast. It's a true semi-auto matching, as gas pressure recocks the striker when it fires. It's set up pretty close to a match pistol, with a good 2 stage adjustable trigger. It also has a dry-fire facility to practice trigger release. With a 4x28 scope off a bag mine will make 15mm groups outdoors at 20m. It's not a full on match pistol, but it's pretty close. But it can also be used for other disciplines such as IPAS and more informal competitions.