Thread: 1st Air Pistol. A 2nd hand Walther LP400 or a new Steyr LP2? Opinions please. Thanks

1st Air Pistol. A 2nd hand Walther LP400 or a new Steyr LP2? Opinions please. Thanks

I am going to buy my first ever competition air pistol. The club where Im at have a 2 year old Walther LP400 thats practically never been used. I also have gained interest in a new Steyr LP2 online...both going for almost identical prices...around €1130. Issue is there is no way for me to test a Steyr beforehand unless I buy one. Opinions are much appreciated. Thanks! Chris

Need to consider if the LP400 grip fits well so you won't have to buy a replacement. Is the LP2 grip the correct size for you ?
    Evo 10 Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by silvershooter View Post
    Need to consider if the LP400 grip fits well so you won't have to buy a replacement. Is the LP2 grip the correct size for you ?
    Thanks for your reply. I can confirm the LP400 has a L grip and I need an S size (nuckle width 85mm)..the Steyr I can order with an S grip already. The Lp400 owner sells to me for €1075 plus €175 for a new grip...the Steyr LP2 I can get for €1115 with the correct grip from www.shootingshop.de

Quote Originally Posted by chiggs0026 View Post
    I am going to buy my first ever competition air pistol. The club where Im at have a 2 year old Walther LP400 thats practically never been used. I also have gained interest in a new Steyr LP2 online...both going for almost identical prices...around €1130. Issue is there is no way for me to test a Steyr beforehand unless I buy one. Opinions are much appreciated. Thanks! Chris
    Is there no one at your club with an LP2 for you to try? Might be worthwhile asking the club why the LP400 has practically never been used (what do others prefer and why)? If you buy the LP400 it will have two years less life on the cylinders than a brand new LP2. Can you have the small grip fitted to the LP400 so that you can spend a day shooting it? Make sure the used pistol comes with all the necessary items (fill adapter, instruction manual, spare cylinder, weights and tools where applicable). No warranty on the used pistol so fill and test any spare cylinders.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

The LP400 is a better pistol than the LP2. It only comes with one cylinder but should come with a voucher which allows you to exchange the cylinder for a new one when it is 10 years old. It does seem a little expensive For about the same money you can get a LP10 EVO ( in sales section ) Don't forget if you buy from abroad your bank will charge you commission on converting the Euro price to pounds.
    Some people just don't get on with or don't like a pistol for no good reason. It is always best to try a pistol before you buy. Holding it and dry firing it is a bare minimum when buying a pistol you intend to use in anger.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

I have had an LP1 which is nearly identical to the LP10 and better than and LP2, ( more adjustable sights) but now shoot an LP400 Carbon. They are not that dissimilar. There is more grip adjustment on the Walther which is good for me as a left handed right eye dominant. However, I find the LP400 a tad light and have added additional weights to compensate for this. Some more mature people or people with a smaller stature prefer lighter pistols, so depending on how you're built this may be a factor. Of course its best to try first if at all possible, but ultimately I bet your averages will climb with either, since you will be getting the chance to practice at home, even if dry firing, and you will get used to YOUR pistol which can be adjusted to yourself. On a final note, it's easier to get spares/repairs for the steyr, but how often do you need spares for these bits of kit!
    Hope that helps!
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

I own and use both (LP400 Carbon) on a regular basis and they both bring home the bacon if I do my bit. I would be hard pressed to say which is the best. It all comes down to personal preference. What I can say is that I recently sold a Steyr LP10 because I didn't get on with it as much as the LP2. I do find the LP2 uses more air and requires regular barrel cleaning to maintain accuracy.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I believe the LP400 has a recoil reducer whereas the LP1 and LP2 don't. The LP10 and evo do have one as well. There are good used target pistols at around the £550 mark which are nearly as good as a modern one. My LP 10 and LP300 where around this price. Someone at my club has a used LP2 for sale for about £700 ish I think.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Hi

Take your time and don't rush into a purchase.

I would not want to buy a pistol which I had not been able to use even if it is brand new.

A fundamental part of pistol shooting is trigger control. The trigger has to be flawless in its operation. I have shot many different pistols including both Steyr and Walther (as well as Anshutz, Feinwerkbau, Benelli, Morini etc). Both the LP400 & LP2 have mechanical trigger units. My Steyr pistols all developed variability in the 2nd stage trigger weight as they got older. I didn't rate the LP400 trigger unit when it 1st came out. However, they have made improvements in later models.

The balance of both pistols is very good.

The Benelli was a brilliant gun for the money but rare & difficult to get serviced in the UK.

My Feinwerkbau was also a great gun with a superb mechanical trigger.

I now favour Morini as it has, in my view, the best trigger unit (the electronic version).

Overall it is a close call as both guns you are looking at should hold very tight groups when batch tested and are likely to be very consistent and accurate.

Good luck

South
    Morini Air pistol
    Morini Free pistol

There is no 'better'in top line matchguns. Theres only personal preference.
    If yr really gonna shoots competitions or are really serious about yr shooting, than néver buy online.
    You háve to feel/try first! You'll never get optimal performance from a gun that doesnt fit/suit you
    ATB,
    yana