Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hmm new proof test for precharged guns?

Hmm new proof test for precharged guns?

A contact in the trade mentioned the reservoirs for PCP airguns are soon to need proofing at the Birmingham or London proof houses and then regular retesting after a set period?

Anyone have any more information on this?
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

How are they going police this and how are the rifles or pistol getting to the proof house as posting of pressure vessels is near impossible
    Luckily all mine have detachable cylinders
    ISP Airstream mk3 March F 2.5/25mml. Sportsmatch GC2 mk3 leupold 20/50 Steyr 2014 hft March x 5/50 MTR3 ISP Airstream MK3 March x 8-80 silver, fx impact m3 element helix Ripley AR4 blue Burris 8/32 Steyr 2014 hot all .177

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsmatch View Post
    How are they going police this and how are the rifles or pistol getting to the proof house as posting of pressure vessels is near impossible
    Luckily all mine have detachable cylinders
    One would assume that just like powder guns it would be an offence (and a serious one) to sell a gun out of proof, you'd probably need an RFD to ship it....
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Personally, I've never heard of a pcp cylinder exploding, anyone ??
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

PCP cylinders can explode and have done when extremely mistreated, but the proof houses are not set up to pressure test them or retest them. The places who retest diving cylinders are the ones who could undertake this testing. I don't know how they could enforce it as with diving cylinders they won't refill them unless they have been tested but not many people take a PCP cylinder into a shop or club to refill.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Only one, apparently it made a right mess of the owner's garage,including a fill valve lodged in a wall.

One of his hands was left looking like a giant cotton bud when the good folks in accident and emergency had finished with him.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    Only one, apparently it made a right mess of the owner's garage,including a fill valve lodged in a wall.

One of his hands was left looking like a giant cotton bud when the good folks in accident and emergency had finished with him.
    How did he manage to burst it? Did he fill it with another gas?

Like already said how could they do this as when they test a dive bottle they look at it outside and inside its then filled in a cage after the inspection is done and is ok ---so I cants see how they can start to take a pcp apart to get a look inside? this will cause some pcps to leak if not put back together correctly ----Could the op not be getting confused with the pcps that used a buddy bottle? I have herd that some shops would not fill "ie a rapid 7" because the date on the bottle was out---- most owners have there own tank to refill so these bottles never get retested and the proof house is always back logged with powder burner barrel tests and mods

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    How did he manage to burst it? Did he fill it with another gas?
    No,he simply over pressurised it,the bottle gauge almost as old as the operator.

Knowing the guy in question, he probably opened the bottle valve and then left it to go and make a flask of tea and some cucumber sandwiches .

The police attended the scene and told him it would be recorded as a firearm incident,but with no further action to be taken.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    No,he simply over pressurised it,the bottle gauge almost as old as the operator.

Knowing the guy in question, he probably opened the bottle valve and then left it to go and make a flask of tea and some cucumber sandwiches .

The police attended the scene and told him it would be recorded as a firearm incident,but with no further action to be taken.
    Hmm. So if you have a rifle with a fill pressure of 200 bar and fill it with a 300 bar tank, the cylinder can go BOOM? Sounds like they are a bit under-engineered.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Hmm. So if you have a rifle with a fill pressure of 200 bar and fill it with a 300 bar tank, the cylinder can go BOOM? Sounds like they are a bit under-engineered.
    Not that I'm aware of,just be gentle when opening the bottle fill valve, and above all else observe the gun's recommended maximum fill pressure.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Google GinB stocks.....

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Google GinB stocks.....
    Wasn't that a specific case where the threads on the cylinder/valve assembly were not quite right?
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    A contact in the trade mentioned the reservoirs for PCP airguns are soon to need proofing at the Birmingham or London proof houses and then regular retesting after a set period?

Anyone have any more information on this?
    I'd be surprised at that. It would need legislation/regulation and a lot of resource (that does not exist).

For example, dive cylinders are subject to mandatory testing, carried out by IDEST approved centres (Inspectorate for Diving Equipment Servicing & Testing). To apply a similar scheme to PCP cylinders would require investment for test equipment and compatible fill adapters (and possibly their service manuals) for every PCP under the sun.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

I've shot airguns for 30 years and as I said earlier, never heard of a pcp cylinder exploding. If it were a issue, we would here of it on a regular basis. Of course there will always be the odd knob who will make news somewhere, but personally I've never been aware any incidents.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25