Thread: Hmm new proof test for precharged guns?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Google GinB stocks.....
    Wasn't that a specific case where the threads on the cylinder/valve assembly were not quite right?
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

I've shot airguns for 30 years and as I said earlier, never heard of a pcp cylinder exploding. If it were a issue, we would here of it on a regular basis. Of course there will always be the odd knob who will make news somewhere, but personally I've never been aware any incidents.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    I've shot airguns for 30 years and as I said earlier, never heard of a pcp cylinder exploding. If it were a issue, we would here of it on a regular basis. Of course there will always be the odd knob who will make news somewhere, but personally I've never been aware any incidents.
    My Dad used to tell me stories about various biazarre ways in which people met their ends, one being a Heinz ketchup bottle which exploded and killed someone during the traditional slap-on-the-base routine. Some kind of vacuum and a weakened glass sidewall thing.

The manufacturers are supposed to make the tubes twice as strong as they need to be, so it must be pretty uncommon, even with the cheaper brands. It would be a great way to kill sales if a brand got a reputation for exploding.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    My Dad used to tell me stories about various biazarre ways in which people met their ends, one being a Heinz ketchup bottle which exploded and killed someone during the traditional slap-on-the-base routine. Some kind of vacuum and a weakened glass sidewall thing.

The manufacturers are supposed to make the tubes twice as strong as they need to be, so it must be pretty uncommon, even with the cheaper brands. It would be a great way to kill sales if a brand got a reputation for exploding.
    Taking the example of Steyr, 200 bar PW (pressure working), 300 bar PH (pressure holding). The manual states not to exceed the 200 bar MAX fill. So depending on your source tank, you have to be careful not to exceed that and VERY careful not to get anywhere near the PH value.

The cylinder for the CZ 200S is 190 bar MAX fill (170 bar for CZ T200) and the manual states use a source NOT exceeding 230 bar. The manual advises that the cylinder (design) has been hydraulic tested at 300 bar but goes on to state that the (useable) cylinder incorporates a safety feature that operates (vents) at 250 bar; but that deforms the cylinder making it unusable.

So fill very very slowly for all PCPs!

None of this surprises me. A chum of mine who deals with law constant tells me how many colleagues she knows who are served from "foreign" parentage are keen to see changes in the law reference to freedom in firearms. She laughs as she tells me how they are obsessive enough to bitch about how the west is evil, yet are happy enough to wipe their arses with toilet paper while wearing Gucci glasses and Armani suits.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol p View Post
    None of this surprises me. A chum of mine who deals with law constant tells me how many colleagues she knows who are served from "foreign" parentage are keen to see changes in the law reference to freedom in firearms. She laughs as she tells me how they are obsessive enough to bitch about how the west is evil, yet are happy enough to wipe their arses with toilet paper while wearing Gucci glasses and Armani suits.
    Can we have that in English please?

Burst

Hi Birmingham proof house do not do pressure testing for compressed air so that part of your mates tale is duff info.
    I dont know how many of you have taken the air cylinder off a gun!!
    I have done a few air arms ones and each was fitted with a screw thread, Quite a long one and very fine but the actual seal was an "O" ring which was squashed into a flare on the receiver. The actual thread was weaker at this point so an overfill would burst the "O" ring out at this point. BUT a groove is cut along the length of the thread so the air would escape down this groove. Would be a bit exciting but not dangerous.
    I do hope its just a tall tale as it's unenforceable.

Of course a weakness anywhere else might be dangerous but abnormal overfilling I doubt would blow up a cylinder.
    Last edited by Peter Dunkley; 04-03-2018 at 10:36 PM.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

PCPs are still relatively "new" as a technology. Is there a risk that cylinders will corrode in time with greater age?Especially any made from aluminium alloys? (Are there any?).
    Would corrosion cause slow leaks or a massive failure?
    It may be that as time goes on a procedure from some sort of testing may be desirable how ever little we would like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedder View Post
    PCPs are still relatively "new" as a technology. Is there a risk that cylinders will corrode in time with greater age?Especially any made from aluminium alloys? (Are there any?).
    Would corrosion cause slow leaks or a massive failure?
    It may be that as time goes on a procedure from some sort of testing may be desirable how ever little we would like it.
    The inside of steel cylinders are in theory subject to corrosion if not charged with clean dry air, or left empty (whereby ambient air might enter). Such risks might depend on the surface finish inside.

Leaks probably depend on the design, maybe corrosion could cause poor sealing at internal o-rings (slow leaks), but would not make a bet on it

A pressure test alone is of limited value, do not see how that alone could validate the on-going condition of the interior of the cylinder for 5 or 10 years.

Hmm new proof test for precharged guns? Your Message

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol p View Post
    wtf has that to do with pressure testing of pcps may I enquire?

Having tested diving cylinder's for many years, I can supply the following information.
    Cylinder's under 1 litre did not require pressure testing as per BS and euro test house rules, this is why the buddy bottles on rapids etc did not require testing, although it is recommended and any filling station can refuse to fill a cylinder without a test cert/mark, cylinder's on PCP,s now carry a manufacture date, and any rifle sent for repair will need the cylinder tested or replaced as per that manufacturers guidelines, the cylinder test House's won't be equipped to test the various types of PCP cylinder and as people fill them from a scuba tank or pump pretty uninforceable , unless you have an accident, I would suggest that all gun pressure vessels are replaced after 10 years, and visually checked every year by the owner or gun shop.