Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hmm new proof test for precharged guns?

I googled this but could not find anything regarding EU proposals.

However I found some interesting articles on the proposed changes to the internal inspection periods for dive cylinders. When this was first aired on here a year ago, EU was mentioned, but this appears to be an ISO change (international and applies whether in or out of the EU).

Bear in mind that this refers to dive cylinders used for breathing air/sub-surface use, which presumably are exposed to more arduous conditions than one fitted with an Airgun Valve/Gauge. Does NOT appear to have an impact on dive cylinders fitted with an Airgun Valve/Gauge (for surface use only).

Maybe such changes have caused the EU to review PCP cylinders?

FOI request to the HSE regarding failures of dive cylinders (which highlights issues with internal corrosion):
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...anges_to_scuba

Scuba:
    https://www.scubadivermag.com/propos...inder-testing/

Read the informed comments on the second link which are interesting.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 05-03-2018 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Internal corrosion added.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

One would hope not.

Lat month i took apart a 15 year old Steyr cylinder expecting to find some sort of debris inside. Nothing at all, it was shiny, clean and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    One would hope not.

Lat month i took apart a 15 year old Steyr cylinder expecting to find some sort of debris inside. Nothing at all, it was shiny, clean and dry.
    Share your concern. Having a mandatory test or 10 year replacement (scrapping cylinders) could become a bugbear where they have been well cared for (correct fill Px, clean/filtered/dry air, far fewer fill cycles than anticipated by the manufactures). Tests/fixed replacement interval are sometimes set up to cater for the worst examples even if those are very rare. Certainly need to keep informed of the outcome of any proposals as they might significantly increase cost of ownership of PCP airguns.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

When i worked at MDE i did the hydro testing on the first off finished tubes for Falcon airguns , The failures we had were due to wrongly placed o'ring seal seating areas allowing the pressure into the threaded areas where the alloy was the thinnest , This area swelled outwards releasing the end plug , Not a pleasant experience to have a rogue flying alloy threaded plug emerging at 200 bar + even when using just water pressure.
    I also tested the new superlightweight kevlar hoses they were going to use 300bar working pressure they said ,It raised more than a few eyebrows when ends started blowing of at 130 bar-170 bar.
    As for marking the tubes with the working pressure no way was i going to stamp the tubes as they were already minimum thickness and hammered stamping would create thinned fault areas .
    Last edited by acmsarh; 05-03-2018 at 08:14 PM.