Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waxed my stock

Waxed my stock

Got a walnut Air Arms so i gave it about ten coats of oil and about four of wax. It looks ok but i want it to look nice and Glossey but i have just a satin finish. The question is how do i get to look glossey
    BSA Ultra SS Regged.177

Hi buz email me i think i can help?

Kingplinker Guest
    Can you post a reply on here as I am also interested , just done my stock and pistol grips . Lovely looking but the same satin finish ?

Dave

I do it with danish oil, get the oil warm, and put it on nice and thick, a couple of coats like that and it looks like glass, even waxing it doesn't dull it much, just increases the depth of the sheen.

Not sure if it takes much skill to do as I can just 'do it'.

I play a Fender bass, I shoot a springer. I like things to be, well, dependable

Quote Originally Posted by HarryPotter
    I do it with danish oil, get the oil warm, and put it on nice and thick, a couple of coats like that and it looks like glass, even waxing it doesn't dull it much, just increases the depth of the sheen.

Not sure if it takes much skill to do as I can just 'do it'.

I also use danish oil and I find that after a couple of coats and a lot of friction the stock has a deep shine, my PH6 looks stunning after this treatment just follow the info on the tin and try to ignore the smell

Alan.

I am in the process of French polishing my stepsons Walnut stocked S400, be it under the guidance of someone that knows what he is doing.
    It now has had five coats, and is looking brilliant. I did have to flatten it a few times with floor paper, to get rid of runs etc, and then apply the next coat. The final coat will be done in the next few days with French polish diluted with meths. It will then be finished with Beeswax.

I dont know what would happen if you tried to apply french polish after you have already put numerous coats of polish already. The advise I was given was to practice on some scrap pieces of wood before attempting to apply it to the stock. That advise works, I cant wait to see the finished product, it already has transformed what was a dull stock into something very special. Hope this helps.

jim
    ex blue job

The problem is that because i have already oiled it and then waxed it i can't put anymore oil on it. When i appiled the wax i put on with fine grade wire wool but it is not bringing it up in a shine just satin. The wood looks better than when Air Arms made it but i want it better.
    BSA Ultra SS Regged.177

Thats what i want my stock to look like, i would settle for reflective value of what you have on that, give us your addy and i'll post you my stock!
    BSA Ultra SS Regged.177

If you've waxed it, try Burnishing Cream.
    Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Whats that, what does it do and were can i get it
    BSA Ultra SS Regged.177

Let me think about that one for a while
    Besides it's not finished yet UK Neil is making a muzzle and moderator for it and it's got to have the quick fill and the stock sorted yet, and i only yeserday got the new adjustable trigger blade from Harry Preston, so after giving your very generous offer due consideration, i think i will decline on this occassion
    BSA Ultra SS Regged.177

"The problem is that because i have already oiled it and then waxed it i can't put anymore oil on it."

Soak a clean rag in surgical spirit and wipe over stock and buff. It will be ready for oiling again. This has worked against Birchwood Casey stock wax and may work against what ever wax you have used. Alternatively, use Liberon's Wax and Polish Remover. Available from Axminster.

"When i appiled the wax i put on with fine grade wire wool but it is not bringing it up in a shine just satin."

I think this is due to the use of wirewool. I would apply the wax using a clean and soft cloth, such as an old cotton t-shirt. After rubbing in the wax you should also buff it with a polishing cloth.

Rustam

P.S.: What finishing oil did you use? Some dry to a satin finish.
    Last edited by Rustam Bana; 19-09-2005 at 03:52 AM.

duck of death Guest
    I used several coats of Finishing Wax on my Walnut stock, just applied with a soft cloth and then buffed it up with a clean soft cloth. Took many coats but came up like glass.

Cheers
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Coney
    I also use danish oil and I find that after a couple of coats and a lot of friction the stock has a deep shine, my PH6 looks stunning after this treatment just follow the info on the tin and try to ignore the smell

Alan.
    Where do you get this 'danish oil' as my stock needs a bit of a reshine also.

Cheers,
    Simon.
    Beretta 692 30" Sporter L/H Adjustable Stock
    Crooked Barn 2240 .22

You can get danish oil in B&Q or reasonable DIY shop
    Last edited by Ty; 20-09-2005 at 09:14 PM.
    BSA Ultra SS Regged.177