Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anschutz 335 - a candidate for piston seal conversion?

Anschutz 335 - a candidate for piston seal conversion?

After years of looking, one of my "grails" finally showed up, an Anschutz 335 magnum.
    It seems well built, better than most in my opinion, but the action is a bit harsh, and it only does about 650fps with lightweight Geco/Rws wadcutters. The spring seems like it is quite good, and there is not much shooting wear on the gun. I have of course cleaned it out, and changed the piston head with nails and matchheads for one in better condition from an old diana35.

I would like to soup it up a bit, has anyone tried to convert to modern synthetic seals? A transfer port reducing sleeve might be needed?
    The gun seems to have plenty of stroke/volume to make good power.

T R ROBB does a ptfe seal for these but don't push them more than 11 ft lbs as the front stock brackets don't like alot of power. Mach 1.5

Have you tried it with medium weight roundhead pellets? I have a feeling it might feel less harsh compared to when using lightweight flathead pellets.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I have a Bowkett modified '335 in .22 that doing 11+ ft.lbs and very smooth. Ive not stripped it so I dont know anything about the internals.

I seem to remember Worcs Black Powder Supplies doing a '335 conversion. Marauder 335?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Have you tried it with medium weight roundhead pellets? I have a feeling it might feel less harsh compared to when using lightweight flathead pellets.
    Rich.
    Yes, I have used 7.0, 7.3, 8.2 and 8.4grs pellets. The heavier ones do as you say dampen the action a bit, but not enough.
    6.5fpe Is just not enough for me out of a gun of this size.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    T R ROBB does a ptfe seal for these but don't push them more than 11 ft lbs as the front stock brackets don't like alot of power. Mach 1.5
    No need for more than 10fpe in my world... How does the gun feel with the ptfe head at 11fpe?

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I have a Bowkett modified '335 in .22 that doing 11+ ft.lbs and very smooth. Ive not stripped it so I dont know anything about the internals.
    Could you look at the transfer port and guesstimate the diameter? Would be greatly appreciated!

i have a 333,same power plant as a 335 and that shoots about 9flb with it's leather washer,not a beauty but very accurate and sweet to shoot. ATB

I've converted all except a .22 example to ptfe by Robb and all produce the right side of 11ft llbs as said here. But as also pointed out around the 11 or thereabouts is fine for a smaller capacity gun like the 335. Indeed if you want it for hunting I wouldn't go above this and for plinking and targets less again. The cylinder to action fixing lugs can shear off if too.much spring is used in.them and that can be potentially disastrous if you are in the middle of cocking the gun.
    Bowkett went the O ring route and I found it smoked like a chimney way past a tin of pellets. That said it could be I was unlucky back in the day.
    They are superbly accurate guns and worthy of some work. Not many tuning houses lavished any attention on these guns back in the day with Bowkett and WBPS being the only ones from memory. The WBPS Marauder with its re worked action and lovely walnut stock was and still is very desirable.
    Dave

Theoben also worked their magic on the 335. Very accurate and underrated rifle. Mach 1.5

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Probably best to get a Vortek parachute seal & adaptor and maybe sleeve down the transfer port.

Theoben also worked their magic on the 335. Very accurate and underrated rifle. Mach 1.5
    I never knew that but definitely agree they are a forgotten, underrated classic.
    Dave

Did WBPS do a synthetic piston seal conversion? I can't remember if I ever knew, but the timing (1984-85) suggests they must have done. They were very impressive at the time.

I recall getting a tiny bit of counter-battery fire on here the last time I mentioned the shearing stock mounts. Pleased I'm not the only one to have encountered that.

I also recall some debate on here at some point on whether the internals were up to Anschutz/FWB standards, the sense being that, roughly, despite the brand name, barrel, finish, etc, the unseen bits were more like those in a Webley Vulcan or BSA Mercury rather than Olympic match quality in a springer format (e.g. FWB Sport).

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

I also recall some debate on here at some point on whether the internals were up to Anschutz/FWB standards, the sense being that, roughly, despite the brand name, barrel, finish, etc, the unseen bits were more like those in a Webley Vulcan or BSA Mercury rather than Olympic match quality in a springer format (e.g. FWB Sport).
    The Anschutz is like the Hammerli, they never went all the way with it so it is a mixed bag. It's a basically sound design, with a far better trigger and breech arrangement than a Merc or a Vulcan and should not really find itself in the same sentence as those two British bunny-bashers. I shot a two pigeons through the head at 40 yards with mine, with RWS Match pellets, no Merc or Vulcan could do that in 1982...

A Maccari 28mm seal went in the gun last night. No big change in velocity, but it seems to be a bit softer.
    The seal might be a bit tight, but I want to try a port sleeve before the seal is fit to this specific gun.

This example of the 335 Magnum has the German "F in pentagon freimark" for the german home market- could it be that the Germans did something to restrict power on these?

How do original springs measure?