It seems everyone uses telescopic sights these days but I still have a nostalgic hankering for open sights. Some manufacturers don't even bother to produce them on their models these days, which I consider to be a glaring omission.

Deteriorating eyesight is clearly a problem for many - especially on this section of the forum, I suspect! However, there were those rifles that were only really designed for open sights, such as the early Airsporters and Webley Mk3s, along with all pre-WW2 rifles.

There is also a discipline in using open sights and it is particularly satisfying to master it. The same applies to despatching vermin, rabbits and pigeons - it introduces a sporting aspect, rather like fly-fishing, perhaps.

In addition, there is a considerable difference between the various open sights, some providing a sharper image than others. In this respect, the pre-War BSA Standard's sights were hard to beat, notwithstanding the absence of an adjustment wheel for windage.

I wonder what others think. Am I alone in still enjoying the use of open sights? Are there many who still use open sights here and, if so, at what distances? Producing a 1inch group at 30 yds is easy with a telescope on a good rifle; it is not so simple with open sights but it is much more satisfying. If everything must be made easy, one might as well use a PCP and be done with it!