Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 or 2 guns??

1 or 2 guns??

Hi all.. been thinking a bit about reducing my PCP collection to 1. Having had problems with my Bsa and not getting much time on my daystate I'm wondering if I can fit all this in one gun and get a .20 instead of a .177 & a .22... Something reliable and consistent. I figured that having 1 gun also reduces the parafinailia and the cost of upkeep. Plus it leaves 1 extra slot for another Springer ......
    What's people's thoughts? One gun .20 or 1 .177 & 1 .22?
    Thanks
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I guess I'm also asking if .20 is versitile enough to do rats in a barn at 8-10yrd all day long (or night if you want to be pedantic ) and then go into a field and bash bunnies at 35yrd all day long??
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    "Beware the Man with One Gun" !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    My thoughts entirely

Not up to speed on current PCP's Rhys, certainly "old school" but if it were me I'd have a .20 R7 Mk. 2 on ticket. That would do anything I've ever done or asked for in my airgunning career. Others would differ of course.
    “An airgun or two”………

That saying originated because it was noticed that people with only one pistol were more accurate. It makes sense because if you have a lot of rifles etc you have to get used to them each time you take them out. The full saying is "Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it" Clint Smith. We used the saying a lot in Africa when taking part in practical pistol competition.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Not up to speed on current PCP's Rhys, certainly "old school" but if it were me I'd have a .20 R7 Mk. 2 on ticket. That would do anything I've ever done or asked for in my airgunning career. Others would differ of course.
    So you would rate the .20 as a good long & short range hunting caliber then sir?
    I'm actually looking at the hw100 in sub 12.
    I'm just a bit sick of feeling like I have the "wrong tool for the job" because I left my other gun at home if you know what I mean?

Never had a HW 100 Rhys but any quality combo that suits you and repeatedly delivers would get my trust.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    So you would rate the .20 as a good long & short range hunting caliber then sir?
    I'm actually looking at the hw100 in sub 12.
    I'm just a bit sick of feeling like I have the "wrong tool for the job" because I left my other gun at home if you know what I mean?
    Wouldn't touch a .20 with a bargepole Rhys. No, not even yours. They're absolutely useless, nobody uses the calibre and you'll never find a pellet that's any good at all. Forget all about it

My friend had a new 100 in .20.
    He had trouble finding a pellet it liked and ultimately it was just not as accurate as a .177.
    He is a very good shot.

I have a 77 and a 95 in .20 and they are fine with H&n ftt.

Never could figure out the 100 tho.
    Went back to the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Hi all.. been thinking a bit about reducing my PCP collection to 1. Having had problems with my Bsa and not getting much time on my daystate I'm wondering if I can fit all this in one gun and get a .20 instead of a .177 & a .22... Something reliable and consistent. I figured that having 1 gun also reduces the parafinailia and the cost of upkeep. Plus it leaves 1 extra slot for another Springer ......
    What's people's thoughts? One gun .20 or 1 .177 & 1 .22?
    Thanks
    Rhys
    Sorry just sold it .......There’s a lovely .20 sk for sale on here Rhys I am only in warminster so not far if you want a look! I’ve just got a Steyr hunting 5 .177 so the .20 has got to go ,huge amount of pigeons and squirrels with it last year and I am taking a risk as the Steyr hasn’t proven itself yet ! I just wish they done the Steyr auto in .20 . I might even be talking myself into keeping the hw 100 and feel I might keep it until at least I have had success with the Steyr Mike SOLD SOLD
    Last edited by nuggs; 07-03-2018 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Sold

peterd8877 is offline Anschutz connoisseur and marksman
    Just get the Air Arms s410 or s510 extra fac which is adjustable from 6-30 ft lbs in .22 and you have a gun for all eventualities both indoor and outdoors.

I've said this several times, but everytime I go to the range with my .20 97 I wonder why I bother using anything else.

I've shot a decent hft score with it too (I've only shot HFT twice in my life so might be beginners luck!). Trajectory is pretty much the same as .177 out to 30m.

One hole groups are easily achieved at 25m too.

Then I remember the day I took it hunting. It's very heavy to lug it round for a few miles over stone walls etc...

If I take my shotgun round the field, s, you can guarantee a situation will arise were I wish I'd had my air rifle and vice versa If you can reduce it to one pcp mate, I think in the long run it can only be a good thing. Mmmm, wonder if I can follow my own advice
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by nuggs View Post
    Sorry just sold it .......There’s a lovely .20 sk for sale on here Rhys I am only in warminster so not far if you want a look! I’ve just got a Steyr hunting 5 .177 so the .20 has got to go ,huge amount of pigeons and squirrels with it last year and I am taking a risk as the Steyr hasn’t proven itself yet ! I just wish they done the Steyr auto in .20 . I might even be talking myself into keeping the hw 100 and feel I might keep it until at least I have had success with the Steyr Mike SOLD SOLD
    Lol!! Yes I know.. it was your sales thread that inspired the thought process. I wasn't expecting it to be still available by the time I'd decided and or sold both of my other rifles.. thanks for the thought though