Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 or 2 guns??

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Lol!! Yes I know.. it was your sales thread that inspired the thought process. I wasn't expecting it to be still available by the time I'd decided and or sold both of my other rifles.. thanks for the thought though
    Just hope I don’t regret it .

With 12ft/lbs rifles then its shot placement be it any of the usual calibre's. Nothing else matters.
    .20 adds little to any equation not covered between .177 or .22, and the fact finding a pellet that a rifle likes is much harder in .20 unless lucky.

So like many before you, you are searching for a solution that isn't really any solution at all.
    If you fancy having a .20 then have one, but its not for any of the arguments speculated.
    Last edited by Muskett; 07-03-2018 at 05:44 PM.

If I was looking for for one rifle to do shorter range rats and longer range vermin too I would get a .22" and a range finder.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    With 12ft/lbs rifles then its shot placement be it any of the usual calibre's. Nothing else matters.
    .20 adds little to any equation not covered between .177 or .22, and the fact finding a pellet that a rifle likes is much harder in .20 unless lucky.

So like may before you, you are searching for a solution that isn't really any solution at all.
    If you fancy having a .20 then have one, but its not for any of the arguments speculated.
    There is definitely a big difference between .177 & .22 when I comes to barn work.. it was the reason I bought a .22 in the first place. full tilt sub 12 .177 at 10 yards really badly over penetrates and I believe at these ranges does do less damage. I definitely get more kills with .22 in this situation.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Rhys, why not buy a cheap .22 for dedicated barn/farm yard work (Ultra) and keep a nice .177 for general field work. A single shot Ultra can be had for about £200
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

I've got a .20 MFR sold all the rest (.177 & .22) shortly after buying it, yes it's happy ratting or rabbiting.

Finding a pellet is actually far easier than with .177 or .22, because no one makes cheap nasty .20 pellets
    FTT, FT, Superfield, Pest Control, JSB, Accupell, at least one will be spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    There is definitely a big difference between .177 & .22 when I comes to barn work.. it was the reason I bought a .22 in the first place. full tilt sub 12 .177 at 10 yards really badly over penetrates and I believe at these ranges does do less damage. I definitely get more kills with .22 in this situation.
    Agreed for barn work then .22 has an advantage, but soon lost once the range increases beyond the farmyard. At short range then on rat or body shot pigeon then the .22 seems to give more wallop. But wound tract over 2 or 3cm isn't that spectacular. Again its pellet placement that counts. I too like the .22 at bayonet ranges, but give me shot placement over all other considerations first.
    A .20 isn't of any practical answer to solve the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Rhys, why not buy a cheap .22 for dedicated barn/farm yard work (Ultra) and keep a nice .177 for general field work. A single shot Ultra can be had for about £200
    If you decide to go this route please get in touch as I may be able to help 😀
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    I've got the R10 for that
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Agreed for barn work then .22 has an advantage, but soon lost once the range increases beyond the farmyard. At short range then on rat or body shot pigeon then the .22 seems to give more wallop. But wound tract over 2 or 3cm isn't that spectacular. Again its pellet placement that counts. I too like the .22 at bayonet ranges, but give me shot placement over all other considerations first.
    A .20 isn't of any practical answer to solve the differences.
    I definitely agree with shot placement. Maybe I should just sell the daystate & use the R10 for everything for a while & see how things in the field go.
    There are a few irritating things about the r10 one is the bolt catching the eye bell of the scope with the NV on & the second is the flipping stupid 13mm rail that's stopping me from using the mounts I want !!!. The hw100 solves both of these and a .20 in my mind is definitely a compromise that I think I should just try... It would be so much better to have 1 PCP & I'll use my Springer's if I need a spare.

Think we have all been there, no rifle is perfect. Another calibre always seems attractive. Whatever the next rifle there will be something.
    If you have a rifle that really delivers and you can hit things with then keep it.

But where is the fun in that?
    I keep rifles that seem to hit things again and again and again. I move on the ones that are hard work keeping it "there". Gone through quite a few rifles over the years, kept a few for a very long time and unlikely to part with.

Think we have all been there, no rifle is perfect. Another calibre always seems attractive. Whatever the next rifle there will be something.
    If you have a rifle that really delivers and you can hit things with then keep it.

But where is the fun in that?
    I keep rifles that seem to hit things again and again and again. I move on the ones that are hard work keeping it "there". Gone through quite a few rifles over the years, kept a few for a very long time and unlikely to part with.
    Yeah.. know what you mean. I'm just finding the PCP thing only needs to serve a purpose.. and I'd like to cover that purpose with one I think... Plus it leaves space for another "hassle free" spring gun.
    One of the reasons I like the hw100 is it's a bit boring!! And it pulls the excitement to my spring guns.
    I know for a fact that the daystate is more of a pleasure gun than a hunting gun because of how much more efficient I find the R10. So I think it's time to let go..
    Thanks for your help guys :-)

If I had only one rifle at uk power, it'd be 20 cal -

I do like 177 heavies in pcp for shooting in open spaces (fields) and 22 for shooting at close range, but if could only choose one, 20 cal for me now converted after years of championing 177 ...
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    Wouldn't touch a .20 with a bargepole Rhys. No, not even yours. They're absolutely useless, nobody uses the calibre and you'll never find a pellet that's any good at all. Forget all about it
    LOL.. good to see that flippant dry sarcasm isn't dead in the older generation!!

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    Wouldn't touch a .20 with a bargepole Rhys. No, not even yours. They're absolutely useless, nobody uses the calibre and you'll never find a pellet that's any good at all. Forget all about it
    Same as above , I've had a couple of guns in .20 and got rid of them.