Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1 or 2 guns??

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Same as above , I've had a couple of guns in .20 and got rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    lol...
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    LOL.. good to see that flippant dry sarcasm isn't dead in the older generation!!
    Ha ha........ I know you're on the right wavelength.

Like you I've found that .177 goes right through Nutkin when he's on the bird-feeder at 23 yards, but it drops him off branches 45 yards away instantly.

The .20 Fenman works perfectly at both ranges though (as does the .20 Rapid but that's "on ticket" so perhaps not a fair comparison) so I have to say that for me, .20 ticks both the near and far range boxes, although I've never used it on anything closer than 20 yards.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

Like you I've found that .177 goes right through Nutkin when he's on the bird-feeder at 23 yards, but it drops him off branches 45 yards away instantly.

The .20 Fenman works perfectly at both ranges though (as does the .20 Rapid but that's "on ticket" so perhaps not a fair comparison) so I have to say that for me, .20 ticks both the near and far range boxes, although I've never used it on anything closer than 20 yards.
    Which .20 Cal. Pellets are you feeding the FAC Rapid Mike ?
    Back in the day, Theoben reccommended Crossie Prems.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Which .20 Cal. Pellets are you feeding the FAC Rapid Mike ?
    The 14gr Crosman Premiers seem best (the ones in the cardboard box) and ordinary JSBs (13.7gr?) work fine for me John. They both give around 23fpe.
    Hope you're well Sir!

To be honest it has to be better than a .177 sub 20 yards... I'm just going to have to try it & see, if I can raise enough cash to get a hw100 and keep my R10 I'll do that & compare them together, then sell the one which works best
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I have owned a quality .20 PCP and it was very good for field use. However, if you intend to just use one gun and wish to have one that can be used for anything, a multi-shot PCP in .177 is probably best. I have just got myself a new one and have decided to shoot JSB heavies which are only slightly lighter than .20 FTT. All you need really.
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    I have owned a quality .20 PCP and it was very good for field use. However, if you intend to just use one gun and wish to have one that can be used for anything, a multi-shot PCP in .177 is probably best. I have just got myself a new one and have decided to shoot JSB heavies which are only slightly lighter than .20 FTT. All you need really.
    mmmmm., have got a .177 currently & ive used heavies in it but its just too quick a pellet for the barns.... the .22 I have now works very well around the farm and to be fair ive not used it in the field too much yet so il do that before getting rid. The other thing is I think I just need to give it a go as ive not tried it before and il always be wondering if I don't.. there is one other option & that is to buy a variable power rifle in .177 like the compatto or fx streamline.... I like the look of the streamline but it does look quite long...

thanks for the input
    rhys

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I've got a .20 MFR sold all the rest (.177 & .22) shortly after buying it, yes it's happy ratting or rabbiting.

Finding a pellet is actually far easier than with .177 or .22, because no one makes cheap nasty .20 pellets
    FTT, FT, Superfield, Pest Control, JSB, Accupell, at least one will be spot on.
    ^^^this^^^

I own .177 and .20 Rapids. I will never take my .177 's out hunting while I have a .20 in my gun cabinet.

There is a good choice of quality pellets available, for close range work use bisley pest control, out of all my .20 barrels these do tight groups out to 25yards and hit like a hammer.

Bb

The 14gr Crosman Premiers seem best (the ones in the cardboard box) and ordinary JSBs (13.7gr?) work fine for me John. They both give around 23fpe.
    Hope you're well Sir!
    Pretty sure these pellets are no longer produced. At least that's the story from over here.

Hi Rhys , I love the .20 cal my most used sub 12fpe airgun is my Daystate Huntsman classic
    in .20 cal with H&n FTT pellets its hard hitting ,accurate trajectory amost as flat as.177, i also own and shoot a HW95 springer in .20 cal . people knock this calibre without trying it . i can say truthfully i have had no runners when a .20 pellet hits a bunny in the head its DEAD!!!
    i am biased i am converted to this cal .
    atb brian
    ps. i own and shoot all the other calibres as well even a .303 fac airgun
    now that is awsesome!!!!!

I must admit that .20 certainly puts the targets lights out well. However, I have also found heavier .177 work pretty damned well for me. The advantage for the .177 as an all-rounder is the fact that it can be used with lighter pellets which flatten out the trajectory nicely. That is why I would now personally use the smaller calibre and vary the pellet weight according to the application.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !