Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATF stop leak

The leak in question is on a Dan Wesson 715 recently bought used. It shoots fine and there are no audible leaks. The co2 capsule seal looks to be in good condition. If I leave a partially used capsule in its empty the next day.
    Cheapest atf stop leak I've seen is £6 so I was thinking it's maybe worth a punt as a reseal is a faff and likely to cost more.
    If it doesn't work then I can always use the fluid on the car!

Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post
    The leak in question is on a Dan Wesson 715 recently bought used. It shoots fine and there are no audible leaks. The co2 capsule seal looks to be in good condition. If I leave a partially used capsule in its empty the next day.
    Cheapest atf stop leak I've seen is £6 so I was thinking it's maybe worth a punt as a reseal is a faff and likely to cost more.
    Are the internal seals accessible/available - worth a thought before doing anything that is irreversible. Presumably you have tried different makes of CO bulbs, some are shorter/longer than others. Have you tried a Crosman bulb (contains lubricant for internal seals)?
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post

vaseline can swell . When I worked at silva Uk making GPS handheld units the R&D guys would put vaseline on the o-rings to swell them to see if I thicker o'ring would work if they did not have thicker ones in the stores.

It depends on the makeup of the seals. If you have a spare seal then try it with petroleum based oils or grease and see if they swell up.

You could try forte lubricants and see if they will send you a sample of their one https://www.forteuk.co.uk/product-de...al-Conditioner tell them if it works you will startbuying it buy the case

a thread here on swelling O-rings https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=1854960

Maybe a rebuild will be the best way all round though as you could end up swelling seals that don't need to swelled and cause more problems .
    Last edited by bighit; 10-03-2018 at 01:27 PM.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Are the internal seals accessible/available - worth a thought before doing anything that is irreversible. Presumably you have tried different makes of CO bulbs, some are shorter/longer than others. Have you tried a Crosman bulb (contains lubricant for internal seals)?
    The Crosman bulbs haven't contained any lubricant for quite a long while now, confirmed by both Crosman themselves and their MSDS sheets you linked to earlier

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    The Crosman bulbs haven't contained any lubricant for quite a long while now, confirmed by both Crosman themselves and their MSDS sheets you linked to earlier
    They do according to THIS...and I paid extra for the privelage

Hmm, the MSDS states no added ingredients; I'll ask the site sponser to clarify; either they have the older stock (doult that with the quantities they sell) or the website is out of date. Looks like I may have paid extra for nowt!
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 10-03-2018 at 11:47 PM.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

AdeC,

I have had some correspondence with Mr. Tim McMurray WRT to his 'Secret Sauce' lube.

As he will not ship this to the UK, I asked him for a recommended alternative.

He said 30wt motor-cycle fork oil - in his opinion just as good as his 'Secret Sauce'.

I use Silkolene Fork Oil Extra Heavy (SAE30), and it has performed superbly

All my SSP pistols are lubed with this.

Fork oil is seal friendly, and is packed with extreme pressure and anti-wear additives - made for use in SSPs

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Tim mac's secret sauce is a heavier grade of fork oil is all
    the only co2 carts with oil in are those really expensive maintenance ones afaik

The maintenance ones are very messy to use.
    Not an indoor job!

And to be honest I didn’t notice a big difference in the ones I did.

Pellgun oil or similar will stop some leaks in some co2 guns but can be bad news in others.

I do think that we have more leak and piercing problems now with the numerous co2 capsules around.
    They are not all the same and I tend to stick to the ones Recommended by the gun maker.