Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATF stop leak

ATF stop leak

Anyone used this for slow leaks on co2 guns?
    There's a piece on the Pyramid Blog by BB Pelletier which swears by it

no just strip and fit new seals

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Maybe I've just been unlucky - but I've never had a leaky CO2 gun that got cured by any oil treatment and stripdown has always revealed a damaged seal face.
    If it does cure it, I suspect it might be a short term fix...

Atf

Not sure if it's true but I'm sure I'v heard Crosman pellgun oil is atf, anyone know for sure because it would certainly be cheaper than the tiny little tubes of pellgun oil,
    John.
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]

Pellgunoil is 20w motor oil, but for electric motors rather than engines. Nearest equivalent easily available in the UK is oil for compressors or pressure washers.

Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post
    Pellgunoil is 20w motor oil, but for electric motors rather than engines. Nearest equivalent easily available in the UK is oil for compressors or pressure washers.
    I don't think it is....

pelgun oil is 30wt monolec marine diesel oil
    hyrdaulic oil or powersteering oil works ok and I use both along with an equivalent to Tim Macs secret sauce which you could buy on evil bay under pds substitute pellgun oil

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    pelgun oil is 30wt monolec marine diesel oil
    hyrdaulic oil or powersteering oil works ok and I use both along with an equivalent to Tim Macs secret sauce which you could buy on evil bay under pds substitute pellgun oil
    Now convinced of that one either... I'm in the ATF camp being the nearest equivalent and ATF has all the necessary additives to keep o-rings healthy.

The Crosman site has the MSDS for Pellgunoil. HERE.

That link has an MSDS by Lubrication Engineers Inc, Texas, which refers to 8430 Monolec GFS Engine Oil HERE.

The LE Inc site lists their product range including 8430 HERE.

A Flyer HERE refers to the 8430 oil as SAE 30.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 09-03-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: MSDS
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Anyone used this for slow leaks on co2 guns?
    There's a piece on the Pyramid Blog by BB Pelletier which swears by it
    Use of a suitable oil depends where the leak is? If it is the seal with the neck of a 12gm bulb, no oil will have much effect there. If it is an internal valve seal, suitable oil might help with the seating/release of a seal, but there are so many variables/types of airgun design, it is difficult to say.

When I had a problem with a SSP not holding air in the valve, applying suitable oil did not help, I stripped it down and found that the o-ring valve seal was bone dry and fairly dirty. Once cleaned and a light smear of Pellgunoil on the seal, the moving o-ring/valve sealed consistently.

I know someone that had a problem with a CP88 where the C02 was being dumped down the barrel due to a poor valve seal, a small amount of Pellgunoil resolved that problem (without a stripdown); so in some cases suitable oil can help resolve some issues...depends on the cause.

Hi as far as I am aware stop leak works by swelling seals, prissily how long this would work or what the effects would be I don't know.
    Rather replace the seals and have the maximum reliability and life.
    As regards pellgun oil I have used a straight 30 oil for years and all seems fine.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff555 View Post
    Hi as far as I am aware stop leak works by swelling seals, prissily how long this would work or what the effects would be I don't know.
    Rather replace the seals and have the maximum reliability and life.
    As regards pellgun oil I have used a straight 30 oil for years and all seems fine.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.
    Ah yes, plumping up the seals is supposedly one of it's properties (I'm not sure how it actually does that though).

As you say quite a few use alternatives, folk seem to have their own favourite 30W oil - and get along fine with it

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    The Crosman site has the MSDS for Pellgunoil. HERE.

That link has an MSDS by Lubrication Engineers Inc, Texas, which refers to 8430 Monolec GFS Engine Oil HERE.

The LE Inc site lists their product range including 8430 HERE.

A Flyer HERE refers to the 8430 oil as SAE 30.
    I think this is just a mistake and you're reading too much into it - an MSDS that carries a different product name and a different manufacturer's name to that actually on the packaging is for a different product.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I think this is just a mistake and you're reading too much into it - an MSDS that carries a different product name and a different manufacturer's name to that actually on the packaging is for a different product.
    The Crosman site refers to a MSDS for Pellgunoil, one would hope that it is appropriate for their product (or at least a very similar product). Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Ah yes, plumping up the seals is supposedly one of it's properties (I'm not sure how it actually does that though).

As you say quite a few use alternatives, folk seem to have their own favourite 30W oil - and get along fine with it

From a car forum
    How does it work? White Shepherd Oil Stop Leak works while you drive. White Shepherd absorbs into the seal to soften, expand & revitalize the size and flexibility to its original condition.
    How large of a leak does it repair? White Shepherd will seal leaks in any fluid systems that are seeping or dripping

seal soaked in white shepherd https://landroverforums.com/forum/at...len_o-ring.jpg
    Last edited by bighit; 09-03-2018 at 11:51 PM.