Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle recommendations

Good luck with the advice given, the older HW's will be good value at half of your budget.....

But, yes, these warning signs can be ridiculous sometimes. We had a drinks machine in work that had a large laminated sign that read; "Warning! This machine serves hot drinks"....I would be disappointed otherwise as it only served hot drinks.....

Walther Classus £199.99 Lothar Walther barrel, Minelli stock. Undiscovered secret

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    A "BrumBow" if you can find a nice one !
    Probably more common, a well tuned HW 95 !
    Caliber up to you Sir !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    LGV Master Pro with a Weihrauch silencer.
    Excellent choice

Quote Originally Posted by jumbuck View Post
    HEALTH AND SAFETY is for modern Numpties, old Numpties it seems had common sense over their modern counterparts My 2008 HW80 has warning... Good job too as it saved me twanging myself My 1991 HW85 hasn't and old 80 never had the stamping on it.
    What cock. Why do you think that Employers Liability Insurance is mandatory amongst others. Even today, examples of saving a few quid at the potential risk to an individual is still rife. That's speaking generically.

Speaking specifically, just watch Youtube to see how many people don't follow a proper safety regime in gun handling. Not holding the barrel or cocking lever and redesigning the coefficient of drag for your thumb when it slams shut, finger on trigger, swinging the rifle around like its a light sabre.....looking down barrels after a hang fire, getting hit by ricochets......you name it really. Its all there.

The ability for individuals to be total cocks is unbounded. I would rather a warning is issued because when Mr or Mrs Pratt come a knocking, they have a possible line of defence. Its like cyclists who think no light is an "Option" and wearing black non reflecting clothing is a "good" idea. Yet when they get hit, they think its all the car drivers fault......100% plus. And when you stop and point out you cant see them, you get told to "foxtrot Oscar"......the men are even worse.

You see where I am coming from.

If your competent then woohooo.....but sadly for every one that is, there are many that are not.

Whether a rifle has warning signs on it or not is totally immaterial. Its down to being taught correctly.

Sod air rifle licensing, it should be mandatory for anyone wanting an air rifle to get trained and signed off by a competent club before they can purchase any equipment. Makes more sense to. Sadly, not all clubs are competent.....I walked into one and had a loaded S200 pointed directly at my face by an "experienced" shooter that had been handed to a total novice 1st time shooter who was just left to "get on with it".....I jumped on that one a bit lively.

Maybe a tattoo on the forehead isn't too little either.....
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    The ability for individuals to be total cocks is unbounded.
    I know it's off topic(ish) - but this reminded me so much of the example which Steyr has highlighted:

I worked in retail - A Chinese guy bought a top end computer and set it on fire the same day by doing this:

Not reading the instructions, disposing of the A4 yellow warning sheet on top of the PC in it's box, removing the anti tamper sticker on the power supply, removing the anti tamper plastic cover on the power supply, plugging in a home made USA type lead to the now exposed power supply, and finally pushing the switch from 240v to 110v - which promptly set it alight!

His reasoning - 110v is half of 240v so it must be cheaper to run it

I kid you not!

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Another vote for a walther lgv

Got an LGV but I find it a bit weighty, Classus suits me much better but I only knock cans around in the garden. I think the low price is because nobody noticed them when they were priced a lot higher so they have faded into the background. If I hadn't noticed one at the shooting show I would never have brought one. Don't believe the restocked Terrus stories they were originally priced much higher price. I wouldn't sell either but if the house was on fire I would pick up the Classus.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Hw 98, the adjustable stock makes it hard to beat. Look at buying a second hand one and getting the action refinished
    Pete

Why on earth did Walther decide to leave the breech block visible on the Classus

Makes it look like a cheap Spanish gun.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl2 View Post
    Walther Classus £199.99 Lothar Walther barrel, Minelli stock. Undiscovered secret
    Where can I find the Walther classus for that price my good sir? Didn’t notice it was threaded, could be a nice rifle to have

Sportsman guns. Free delivery and yes its threaded. Bargain

Quote Originally Posted by Carl2 View Post
    Sportsman guns. Free delivery and yes its threaded. Bargain
    Do you know if the front and rear open sights are removable?

A sorted Brumbow,
    or, at your budget,
    A new Diana 280 from SFS with a tune and a moderator,
    or tuner of your choice etc,
    or a 95,85 etc

2 Allen bolts on front sight, 2 straight screws on rear sight. Didn't actually undo them but sure they are not dummy's. Think there is a Terry D test from last years Feb magazine floating around somewhere in cyber space. He used the opens then popped on a scope and went back to opens.

This gun looks so much better in the flesh. I thought the price was wrong when I ordered mine, I was waiting to be told it was out of stock. I have come so close to buying a 99 or a 95 but hesitated every time after reading about issues with quality control. Glad I did now.