Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .22 hornet

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Blimey.

As the bear suggests, if your empties are giving you a stiff bolt lift, on something as small as a Hornet, well, its a classic sign of over pressure (quite bad overpressure as it goes, usual early signs are flattened or cratered primers and the case being burnished by the opening bolt rubbing on the case head).

Your cases are not able to spring back and eject which means the poor little things are not well.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

themariners Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Oh contraire, I have been asked just not by you....

As for shooting over other people's land, what on earth does that have to do with anything? (Rhetorical question)
    Most feral people that don’t own any land call people
    Idiots when they have never met them so it’s very relevant
    You have also never tried the round or the that bullet weight or even
    Have access to a chrono unless someone lends you one on the lent land you shoot on

themariners Guest
    the Hmr head doesent weight 18 grains quite a bit more

Quote Originally Posted by themariners View Post
    Have access to a chrono unless someone lends you one on the lent land you shoot on
    Oh this is fun!

You clearly have no proper grasp of the English language or the definition of feral...

The idiot comment was, by my own admission, based purely on that one post.

I find the choice of a lead ball over even a cast bullet idiotic in terms of accuracy for shooting live quarry.

I find the idea that 13 gr of black powder can push a 20 gr projectile plus a cardboard wad to 4800 fps safely, if at all, idiotic.

I find people posting load data that is a million miles from published or commonly accepted load data with no way of knowing if that is way over pressure, though the stated velocity would certainly suggest so, idiotic. I also find it hugely inappropriate and irresponsible when they suggest other people try said data.

No, you're right I don't own a chrono, I don't need one as I know accuracy kills and wins comp's not speed - knowing speed is useful for working drops or for long distance, not for shooting pigeons or rats.....sure I could certainly buy one should I choose to do so,but as I have access to a club chrono and several mates with one I've never bothered.

As for 'borrowing land' yes I guess I do but then the landowners are borrowing my ability to control wildlife in return, so works both ways. I certainly feel pretty happy with what I've achieved so far in life, so owning land, or not, really isn't a biggy....
    Thanks for looking

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”

Any chance of explaining the physics of getting 155% more velocity from a bullet of more than 57% of the mass whilst using a powder charge containing ~67% energy than a smokeless loaded .22 hornet with a 35 grain bullet?
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

the Hmr head doesent weight 18 grains quite a bit more
    Um, no one mentioned HMR, which are commonly 17 or 20 gr loads and gets nowhere near your quoted figures (2250ish with a 20gr) using modern powder, ok probably only only 5 gr of powder but smaller cartridge so higher pressure, tripling the powder won't more than double the velocity.

If you're referring to Guesty's post then he is talking .17 hornet, same cartridge as yours necked down and renowned as a bit of a speed demon for capacity, yet it falls 1000 fps short of your reported figure without the wad slowing things down and using modern powder.
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Any chance of explaining the physics of getting 155% more velocity from a bullet of more than 57% of the mass whilst using a powder charge containing ~67% energy than a smokeless loaded .22 hornet with a 35 grain bullet?
    No physics, just magic and fairy dust only those that own land can access or understand

I always find muzzle energy a useful comparison, so 20 gr at 4800 fps, 1025 ft lb, with BLACK POWDER, now hornet can be loaded to .222 levels but with heavier bullets and loaded way beyond published data (not recommended). I don't believe a lesser amount of lower energy propellant can push a light projectile north of 1000 ft-lb (without magic of course)
    Last edited by 223AI; 27-06-2018 at 07:02 PM.
    Thanks for looking

I'd hazard a guess that the chrono is reading bit's of wadding blown out ahead of the ball

I can manage 3450fps with a nice aerodynamic 30gn from my "K" but that's a compressed load 13.7gn of lil-gun, & under 750fpe

themariners Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Oh this is fun!

You clearly have no proper grasp of the English language or the definition of feral...

The idiot comment was, by my own admission, based purely on that one post.

I find the choice of a lead ball over even a cast bullet idiotic in terms of accuracy for shooting live quarry.

I find the idea that 13 gr of black powder can push a 20 gr projectile plus a cardboard wad to 4800 fps safely, if at all, idiotic.

I find people posting load data that is a million miles from published or commonly accepted load data with no way of knowing if that is way over pressure, though the stated velocity would certainly suggest so, idiotic. I also find it hugely inappropriate and irresponsible when they suggest other people try said data.

No, you're right I don't own a chrono, I don't need one as I know accuracy kills and wins comp's not speed - knowing speed is useful for working drops or for long distance, not for shooting pigeons or rats.....sure I could certainly buy one should I choose to do so,but as I have access to a club chrono and several mates with one I've never bothered.

As for 'borrowing land' yes I guess I do but then the landowners are borrowing my ability to control wildlife in return, so works both ways. I certainly feel pretty happy with what I've achieved so far in life, so owning land, or not, really isn't a biggy....
    I have a perfect grasp offered some advice and some dole
    Scroat that hasent a pot to piss in starts taking the piss

Well mate if you street mapped where I live and where you live you
    Might not think you had done that well in life

I have a perfect grasp offered some advice and some dole
    Scroat that hasent a pot to piss in starts taking the piss

Well mate if you street mapped where I live and where you live you
    Might not think you had done that well in life
    Dole scroat? Yes, that's just what I am honestly I'm more than happy, I don't measure my success against that of others or my town against someone else's.

I do call out bad advice though.
    Thanks for looking

themariners Guest
    well now that we are best friends the idiot agrees with
    You that beyond 30 yards the ball is not accurate
    The round disintegrates and there is minimal chance
    Of richochets or it going very far as the wind grabs it
    much less than a 22lr it’s as cheap as chips to load
    You will only shoot one Rat per night as it’s so loud that
    All the other rats run off

well now that we are best friends the idiot agrees with
    You that beyond 30 yards the ball is not accurate
    The round disintegrates and there is minimal chance
    Of richochets or it going very far as the wind grabs it
    much less than a 22lr it’s as cheap as chips to load
    You will only shoot one Rat per night as it’s so loud that
    All the other rats run off
    Well as we're friends, I'll apologise for calling you an idiot on the basis of one post alone.

I think I may go out and buy a chrony to celebrate
    Thanks for looking

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Christ

And I thought CSR Shooter was rough but ferral dole scrote idiots

Gold dust
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    Christ

And I thought CSR Shooter was rough but ferral dole scrote idiots

Gold dust
    I know, a bit of light entertainment, grab us if your about at Bisley for the next shoot, I still have those 25-45 and .223 AI dummy rounds knocking about
    Thanks for looking