Thread: New club potential - cotswolds - declare your interest

New club potential - cotswolds - declare your interest

I have been searching for a while and may have found a promising location for a new private air rifle club in the Cotswolds that can facilitate indoor shooting out to 25 yards approx. and of course, ideal for 10m pistol and rifle.

Also - subject to location, it might be possible to set up a range to cover 55 yards and possibly woodland for a permanent HFT/FT course.

It is early days for sure but this area has no shooting facilities at all unless you want a 2 hour plus return run.

The site has 24/7 365 access so it might be possible to turn up and shoot (within reason) as and when and possibly host HFT and FT comps. Maybe even NV HFT or NV training - whatever.....

I have no idea on costs - there will be a cost as the land is a quasi commercial site - so I am leaning towards a annual membership that covers the costs in one fee. Only addition would be consumables like paper targets, air if you don't have your own, pellets etc.

So can you let me know if you are interested as an annual member in principle only. I cannot give you a fee yet as it obviously depends on what the host wants divided by the number of peeps that come on board at start up.

Pay on the day access could be an option and the charges would assist in offsetting both membership and acquiring equipment such as knock downs and re-setters, pellet traps and the like.

If you have ideas about what to include as well.....to make it a 21st century facility - please do not be shy.

Thanks for looking

Steyr
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Could be interested , are you able to give a rough location?
    Kind Rgds
    Craig

Having trodden a similar path fifteen years ago, a few thoughts...

An all-in-one fee might turn out to be rather more than newcomers want to lash out. At the beginning you'll be looking to recruit enough members to make the operation financially viable, and as quickly as you can. You might find the potential members more comfortable with a lesser fixed up-front fee and then a small range fee, basically the more you use the range the more you pay.

Be prepared to put on the type of shooting discipline that the members will sign up to and enjoy. It might not be your own personal preference.

If you intend to manage the operation yourself then recognise what you are good at and get help for the rest. Work out in your own mind what number of members you'd be happy with. And also work out how many you need to break even.

There is grant funding available out there if what you proposed to do ticks the right boxes for involving youth, minorities etc, and it's much easier to get ££ if you have a club that is democratically run rather than being a private commercial enterprise.

I wish you success with it; it's a very fulfilling journey to take. Too far for me to be a member, unless I move 150 miles east.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Having trodden a similar path fifteen years ago, a few thoughts...

An all-in-one fee might turn out to be rather more than newcomers want to lash out. At the beginning you'll be looking to recruit enough members to make the operation financially viable, and as quickly as you can. You might find the potential members more comfortable with a lesser fixed up-front fee and then a small range fee, basically the more you use the range the more you pay.

Be prepared to put on the type of shooting discipline that the members will sign up to and enjoy. It might not be your own personal preference.

If you intend to manage the operation yourself then recognise what you are good at and get help for the rest. Work out in your own mind what number of members you'd be happy with. And also work out how many you need to break even.

There is grant funding available out there if what you proposed to do ticks the right boxes for involving youth, minorities etc, and it's much easier to get ££ if you have a club that is democratically run rather than being a private commercial enterprise.

I wish you success with it; it's a very fulfilling journey to take. Too far for me to be a member, unless I move 150 miles east.
    Sorry Mate, I should have said,

I am a very experienced club member and Hon Sec of a HO approved club. I am also very aware of how hard it is to find a venue and also the cost of running versus the costs shooters are familiar with today. We complain bitterly if we have to pay £100 annual membership. Try joining a Gym or a golf or squash club for that.

We complain if the range fee is £2 - but book a squash court for 45 minutes and see how much change you get out of a tenner.

This venue (Moreton in Marsh area to kill two replies with one post) is not short on space and has indoor and outdoor potential so disciplines covered will probably be

Bench indoor and out
    HFT
    FT
    Air Pistol & 10 Meter Olympic
    Possibly the new fangled sport where people run-around then try and shoot
    Training people to hunt etc.....

I am looking at legal limit air only but again, who knows. Maybe they will be OK with hot air too. I am not pressing on poweder even though I am FAC and experienced hunter.

I am not looking at this as a traditional club - this is concept that is dyeing as I see it. I am thinking there will be a training course of X number of weeks and when signed off, you can crack on. Also pay and play so you can come along and do your own thing at a higher day rate to help swell coffers and buy equipment and pay any overheads etc. If you look at Bisley air rifle club - once a member has been signed off they come and go as they please. This is helped as Bisley is an attended venue as this site is. You are not just going to drive in.

Then again, nothing is set in stone and it may be that there just isn't the footfall or interest. There is a commercial range a reasonable distance away and it operates on a day rate basis but only Saturdays I think.....to me its expensive. Ian Cole I believe.

Another commercial range is Emmet & Stone Little Marlow - again, club or pay as you go. their fees are on line - go check it out.
    This venue is doing well so it seems and it isn't a weekend only operation - so lets see.

The sport is changing. the venues are becoming rarer. The need is to look at more commercial venues - and therefore commercial costs - is increasing.

Councils are no longer supporting this community - as MTSC will attest to as well as Norwich too.

If you want to shoot then stump up and smell the coffee or take up crochet. Its cheaper and you can watch grass grow between your toes.

You want to shoot then the overheads new venues face is now changing and not for the better. Its a case of respond and evolve or die. I am looking to fill a hole in the area. The hole might be there for a reason of course in which case this is dead in the water anyway. But lets see.

This also has the potential to become a bit of an epicentre as a facility - tempered with I might be getting too excited too early...

But prima facia, the potential is great. But if the footfall isn't there then it isn't going to blossom. However, nor will I shrink from giving it the best shot that I can.

I also have a couple of other ideas I might link into it..... but that's my business at the moment.

OH...and as far as a private venture V's a members club - hell I have been in a members club and to be frank, its a pain in the arse if you want anything done as well as personal agendas, back biting and stabbings that would better Julius Ceasar and general small mentality.

Private ventures are not risk free but of the two....I know which I prefer.

Good luck mate any help you need give me a shout I live down there

The very best of luck with your venture, you can't please all of the people all of the time so don't let those who will knock your ideas put you off.

Thumbs up

I'm already a member of a club closer to home that, with my working patterns, is very convenient for me so, I probably wouldn't go for a membership at a new club but, i'd definitely be interested in popping down on a day ticket from time to time.

Your ideas sound like the beginning of a nice place.

Good luck and all the best with it - I hope it turns out how you envisage.

All of the above.

Best of luck with your new venture.

Great news.

I’m moving back to my old stomping ground and currently house hunting about 10 miles north of Moreton.

I used to work on the Batsford estate so know it well.

Best of luck.

Please keep us updated.
    Shoot long range = Live till old age

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Not my "manor" but its great to hear of someone wishing to start a new Club.
    I wish you well Sir !
    “An airgun or two”………

Will keep you posted if it comes out right

Good luck with your venture and I hope it is a success, would love to be able to pack a rifle next time we head down to M-in-M caravan club site.
    Regards,
    Dave.