Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is the 99s so efficient ?

Why is the 99s so efficient ?

I have rebuilt dozens of different air rifles and some leave you feeling indifferent and some leave an impression like the 99s. Is it a perfect storm of the cylinder diameter, swept volume and transfer port dimensions ? What do owners think. Tempted to trade in my 95 for one.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Imo the only advantage the 95 has over the 99, is its cocking arm. Other than that the 99 is the much nicer gun imo, yes it's dimensions are better suited to our 12 ftlb limit, making it a very sweet shooter, especially in .22.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

no way on earth would I trade in a 95 for a 99

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Imo the only advantage the 95 has over the 99, is its cocking arm. Other than that the 99 is the much nicer gun imo, yes it's dimensions are better suited to our 12 ftlb limit, making it a very sweet shooter, especially in .22.
    My 95 is a tuned .20, would like to get a 99 in that calibre. This 99 I refurbed had the centre of the piston seal separated from skirt, looks like it was an oil burner. I made one on the lathe.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 10-03-2018 at 08:59 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I've tried three times with the HW95. Love the look of it, but I would never buy another. I've lost a lot of money on brand new HW95s.

The HW99s is just better in every way at 12fpe.

Mine starts to become hard to cock after about 70 shots. It isn't galling, but when the main section of the cocking lever heats up it becomes tight in the connection with the shorter part. In time it will wear in.

I like to take a break after 70 shots anyway.

Leave the gun for 5 minutes and go back. It works perfectly again.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I have rebuilt dozens of different air rifles and some leave you feeling indifferent and some leave an impression like the 99s. Is it a perfect storm of the cylinder diameter, swept volume and transfer port dimensions?

Baz
    Yep, I think it's such a sweet little shooter (for power levels up to our limit) for the reasons you state plus the relatively light piston and short stroke. Lovely little guns and, like the '95, not requiring much spring at all to achieve the desired power.

Often berated, very seldom bettered.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

How efficient are they, in terms of % efficiency?
    Never had one so not had a chance to work it out

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    I've tried three times with the HW95. Love the look of it, but I would never buy another. I've lost a lot of money on brand new HW95s.

Mine starts to become hard to cock after about 70 shots. It isn't galling, but when the main section of the cocking lever heats up it becomes tight in the connection with the shorter part. In time it will wear in.

I like to take a break after 70 shots anyway.

Leave the gun for 5 minutes and go back. It works perfectly again.
    think you might have something there Arthur.At my range a lot of different guns are used and in a typical 3hr slot pcps need air a few time whilst us hw springer shooters just carry on after short breaks here and there.Is it possible that shooting a spring gun over 3hrs - about 200 shots for example is too much for them?In the field maybe 5-15 shots maybe fired at vermin and that's it for the day etc.Anyone think the same or thereabouts?

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Because za are GERMAN! and everything from ze Farterland must be efficient (apart from VW's)

Like what's already been said, the 99 just has that perfect everything for our 12ftp limit, if we had a different power level then other rifles would be better suited.

Pete

Oh I nearly forgot YAWN!
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

I've never had an issue with a '95, Arthur, even with standard stroke and piston. Many others love them too and also trust the one-piece cocking lever more.

Theoretically, reducing the piston weight of the '95 by about 25 grams and reducing the stroke by 10 to 14mm should give it identical firing manners to the '99?

Love the '99 too, by the way.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Because za are GERMAN! and everything from ze Farterland must be efficient (apart from VW's)

Like what's already been said, the 99 just has that perfect everything for our 12ftp limit, if we had a different power level then other rifles would be better suited.

Pete

Oh I nearly forgot YAWN!
    But the '99 also has its very own cute "character" features too, Pete.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    But the '99 also has its very own cute "character" features too, Pete.
    I wouldn't call a rifle that eats itself cute or a character

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Baz, just do a nose extension on your 95 to short stroke it to the 99's stroke - or ideally about 1-2mm longer. Job done.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Its the short stroke , makes it less hold sensitive than the others , I have one with a lightweight piston in , very fast but in all honesty no better than the standard gun .

Short stroke it as much as you like. It still won't shoot like a 99.

Mine has practically no recoil. It remains on target throughout the shot cycle.

Amazing for a cheap little gun.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.