Thread: Air Arms Field Alternatives

chris u'5 is offline I'm a dumbass, it's official!!

Air Arms Field Alternatives

Hello Guys,

I've pretty much always used Air Arms Field pellets but the last few tins I have had have had a significant number of pellets with damaged skirts so I was thinking about trying an alternative and was hoping I could call on your expert knowledge.

I'm currently shooting a HW95K in .22 with a Venom kit installed (oh and a beautiful stock from Custom Stocks ) so what do you think I could try out as an alternative to the AA Fields?

In the past I have always been happy with them but it seems I am binning a lot at the moment as the skirts really are damaged so I'm looking for something similar but just a bit tougher.

Thank you for your time everyone.

Chris
    "Who's the only one here that knows illegal ninja moves from the government?"

They're made by JSB so any other of the pellets they make for other people.

I must be lucky because I've never had this sort of issue with excessive damage, Obviously being soft lead & having thin skirts you have to make an allowance for a few to get biffed about but I've never seen worse than 10% & all bar 1 or 2 pellets can usually be reshaped with an empty biro body or similar.

Another option is buy the same pellet from elsewhere in case it's caused by rough handling in the supply chain at your end.

Could be due to rough handling. I've started buying JSB's from Intershoot and in the last tin I had 1 bent pellet. More than happy with that

I would change where you buy them from and see if they are less damaged. As for what else to use nobody can say what's best as every rifle is different even the same rifles. It will be a case of try a lot of different ones to find out I am afraid. It's strange but none of my Weihrauch's like AA pellets anyway. I was using Weihrauch Field Target Specials for a while but I have found most of my Weihrauchs also like H&N Field and Target Trophy. You could start with trying them and see how it goes.
    If you want to send me via a PM your name and address I will send you some to try.
    All the best, Ade
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Thank you very much for the advice guys, I really appreciate it.

I've bought some of the same from elsewhere so we'll see how it goes.

Ade - You are an absolute gentleman, thank you for such a kind offer, I'll send you a PM.

Edit.
    Ade it looks like your inbox is full, I've tried to send you a PM.
    Last edited by chris u'5; 13-03-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post
    It's strange but none of my Weihrauch's like AA pellets anyway. I was using Weihrauch Field Target Specials for a while but I have found most of my Weihrauchs also like H&N Field and Target Trophy. You could start with trying them and see how it goes.
    If you want to send me via a PM your name and address I will send you some to try.
    All the best, Ade
    I would most definitely be giving the FTTs a try.

An excellent established favourite and seemingly good in many rifles. All my .177 and .22 HWs seem to love them.

In .22, a little lighter than the standard weight JSB Exact Jumbo / AAF, too.

RWS Superdomes can be very good, too. Maybe a little less efficient in terms of power production compared to some (and reportedly shed energy quicker at range), but if they suit your barrel, they can actually be the tops for accuracy in some guns, which has to be the top priority?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Not sure if you are set on heavier pellets, but if not my HW95 in .22 with VMach kit is a little bit more consistent with Falcon Accuracy Plus than with anything else.

Hi Chris, the in box is clear and the pellets are ready to be sent all I need is your address. Cheers Ade
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    Not sure if you are set on heavier pellets, but if not my HW95 in .22 with VMach kit is a little bit more consistent with Falcon Accuracy Plus than with anything else.
    I have a tin of the JSB Jumbo RS in .22 (which I think are the same) but I am yet to give them a go. I have high hopes for them as, if accurate, should deliver an even more refined firing cycle from springers going by Jim's works.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thank you everyone, excellent suggestions and ideas there, I really appreciate your time.

Ade - You are a diamond, I have sent you a PM

Yes, the last tin of AA`s I purchased were the same, with many deformed skirts, perhaps 40%.

I get mine from either Uttings or Ramsbottom, and sometimes it's like playing pass the parcel there's so much packaging, a few years ago I used to get the odd damaged tin, but it doesn't appear to happen anymore, or maybe I'm just lucky Rog

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I have a tin of the JSB Jumbo RS in .22 (which I think are the same) but I am yet to give them a go. I have high hopes for them as, if accurate, should deliver an even more refined firing cycle from springers going by Jim's works.
    I would be interested to know how you get on with them Tony, perhaps we can do a comparison on 7th April? The firing cycle on my 95 is the gold standard by which I judge all my other guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    I would be interested to know how you get on with them Tony, perhaps we can do a comparison on 7th April? The firing cycle on my 95 is the gold standard by which I judge all my other guns!
    i tested 100 falcons in my .22 hw95 and did very well-so I just got a full tin of 500 to test properly on Friday.Up to now h+n ftt were ok but were a bit tight loading(5.53)however jsb express 14.35g do a fantastic job with 5p groups out to 45yds.Accupells and crosman ultra were decent but inconsistent.Of the heavier pellets rws superfield were very good in 5.51 aafd were good too in 5.52.less drop/flatter tradjectory in lighter pellets.