View Poll Results: BSA R10 or HW100? What would you choose?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • BSA R10

21 28.38%
  • Hw100

53 71.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BSA R10 or HW100?

I’ve also had both an the R10SE was nothing but hassle. Under powered at around 10.2 with most pellets, constantly leaked, nowhere near the shot count BSA claim (I got about 100 per fill), several parts needed replacing under warranty and all this was in just 6 weeks of owning it.

During that 6 weeks it had 5 trips back to the shop and on the 5th, I asked for a swap for a new HW100.
    The HW100 is better in every single area other than looks.

I would never touch another BSA product again!

Mick

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderbeest View Post
    A Tiger against a T30.
    T30 was an American tank, not a great similie....

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Being as I've had neither, I haven't cast a vote as I don't think I'm qualified to do so but as an independent observer and from feedback and "musings" of all the comments I've heard for both air rifles over the years, including maintenance and physical asthetics, I'd probably go for the Weihrauch.
    My local air rifle club uses a number of HW 100's as Club Guns so I have to take that into account also.

I'm not a great PCP fan these days, but I maybe might in the past, have gone for the HW100 possibly in a sporter stock (although the T'Hole is an Ambi and I'm a southpaw) but the right handed cocking lever always deterred me as on the AA 510 series being a lefty like.

So, Yeah, the Weihrauch for me !

So I may as well vote now !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Thanks that's a nice even overview.. I have an R10 and the annoying bits are the bolt catching my NV boot when I'm night shooting & the arkward rail that limits the rings you can use. The other issue I have is. I think I want to go .20, I have had a .177 & a .22 for a while now and I love the .22 for the farmyard and I find the .177 alright overall but better in the field than the .22. I'm getting really bored of having 2 pcp's to upkeep and choose from and then thinking "I want the other one now!" I want just one as I'd rather have another Springer.
    So i figure on a .20 carbine & really the only option in .20 I think is the hw100 k. I feel it would be the best all-round solution to efficiently shooting in barns & open fields.
    Thanks steyr
    OK.... Your next issue will be availability of Ammo in .20 and finding one that the barrel likes. >20 is the least popular cal iro makes and variants so your limiting your choice. Now that isn't necessarily a Bad thing but you're definitely fishing in a smaller pond.

I personally would not buy .22 for a sub 12 gun or .25 for that matter unless it was close barn clearing or tough close quarry such as rats or squirrels or pigeon. Pigeon is tough is your close with .177 as the pellet drills too easily.

I personally would prefer .177 for the flatter traj and I would carry two pellet types rather than 2 guns.

One would be a dome for longer shots and the other would be a hollow point (or similar) for closer tuff stuff.

Both would be as soft a lead content as you can get with no antimony. Soft lead squashes whereas antimony can resist deformation.

I actually go for light soft lead such as JSB Exact Express 7.9 grain. It whacks really well and seems to drop better than 8.4 std JSB Exacts. I use Bisley Pest control hollows as my barrel likes them and I get to 25 to 30 yards before it turns into Cinderella's house brick. But when it comes to HP's the furthest you can shoot them can vary greatly.

.20 is a compromise calibre and a compromise is still a compromise with less choice.

The .177 has a huge option of pellet weight if you want to kcuf about with weights and stuff but I go .177 soft lead and light weight and it does it for me.

I would certainly do you homework on pellet selection open to you in .20 before you make the jump and bigger Cal in sub 12 is just another level of handicap imho.

That said, if you know the distance and you know your gun, you can shoot a bloody sub 12 .30 Cal and drop stuff....I just don't see the advantage in buying something that shoots like a bloody rainbow and isn't as pretty. There sure isn't no crock of gold at either end as I see it.

Also, I guess, you only live once so if you isn't done it......

Still think .177 is the best route an piss about with pellets and head size and weight and plastic point bits and......well you get the idea
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I bought a brand new R10SE for its looks and feel. It could not knock down even the close range targets at my club, managed about 60 shots per fill and went straight back to BSA via the shop who kindly exchanged it for an HW100 which is perfection in quality, reliability and accuracy for me.
    I really wanted to support the BSA name but when I looked at springers/gas ram, I had a choice between a new Lightning GR (on a super discount) or an Air Arms TX200 and the stock finish on the Lighting around the cocking lever looked like it was carved with a blunt butter knife. (Looked OK on the outside though), so if they can't even care about the bits you don't really see until you turn the gun upside down, I don't trust their overall quality of workmanship. Especially after my experience with a new R10SE.
    So I now have an HW100, HW99 and AA TX200. No BSA for me much to my disappointment.
    A couple of the Guys at the Club have new R10SE's and are delighted with them, no problems to be fair, perhaps just mine was a bad one.

I had a hw100 for years, consistent and never let me down. I've never owned an r10 though they have tempted me aesthetically. I was looking at them again recently until I came across a bargain HW110.

I have a HW100KT, solidly built, easy to work on, accurate.
    At my club, Weihrauch's are the only magazine fed guns which NEVER EVER have troubles.
    However, as many say, visit a local club if you can and there you will get any info you need; many people are only too pleased to offer advice and often a few shots as well. Good luck with your quest.

Would be the HW for me.

Never had an R10, but the build and quality of the 100 is top draw. Foolproof, solid mag system and sublime trigger and cocking action. What more could you possibly want?!!
    Brno mod-2 .22lr, Benelli M2 Boom Stick, Tikka M595 .243, Custom Rem 700 .284

Quote Originally Posted by boblee View Post
    Would be the HW for me.

Never had an R10, but the build and quality of the 100 is top draw. Foolproof, solid mag system and sublime trigger and cocking action. What more could you possibly want?!!
    Dancing ladies?!! ...

But in all seriousness nothing..
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.