View Poll Results: BSA R10 or HW100? What would you choose?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • BSA R10

21 28.38%
  • Hw100

53 71.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA R10 or HW100?

Not much between them both have issues in the reliability department regs on both guns are not the best but when they are working well both guns are accurate and consistent the R10 is the better looking and handling of the two in my opinion.

Dave,

R10 or hw100

I have had both and still own the hw. I had no problems with my BSA mk2 vc . BUT the current build quality of r10s means you could well end up with a bad one, the majority of the people I know who have had one have had problems with their r10 carblnes. Virtually everybody I know (around fifty shooters) has a hw100 and is happy with it.
    mk2 rapid.22

Ive never handled a Weihrauch hw100, but ive recently bought a tactical R10 super carbine and its lovely, very accurate too. The finish is fantastic. The regulator seems to be doing its job and it cycles its mags without issues. And ....its British .

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderbeest View Post
    The R10 SE is different in character than the HW 's , if you don't know what i mean no explanation is possible
    if you know what i mean , no explanation is needed.
    Amen!!
    Arte et marte.
    Brocock Compatto Target .177 - Hawke Airmax 3-12x50SF
    BSA R10se BP laminate .177 - Hawke Sidewinder 10x42SF

I've got both, I much prefer the R10 for the looks and the fact that (for me) it's much more pointable, therefore more enjoyable and easier to shoot accurately.

As for quality, it took four Weihrauch's to get one that didn't have a problem, the bluing still isn't great though.

The R10 did have an intermittent problem and rather than mess about with sending back to BSA, I took it to RancidTom to sort out, it made a world of difference.

Cheers,

Mark.

Nothing wrong with either as both are good in their own way and both suffer silly problems.
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Its a shame you only have those choices, best of luck with either

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    Its a shame you only have those choices, best of luck with either

Chris
    And the award for the most useful comment goes to..
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I would consider both.
    I have an HW100.
    I would buy an R10
    Both are sorted.
    The R10 can be fettled but the 100 doesnt really need it
    The 100s biggest achilees heel is the weight so I would swap out for an alloy cylinder and flog the steel to someone who wants to kill elephants.
    The R10 has the edge on balance but I hate nose heavy guns. .i e has a Pope FX alloy and its a huge difference.
    As a hunter the mag system for the 100 is untouchable. And its side lever as opposed Bolt action another huge plus for me.
    The R10 is a good looking rifle for a front end bottle gun but looks is NEVER a factor I use. Fit and Functions are the kings for me.
    You wont waste money on either and I recommend both. The only way to do this is to try them and see the fit. As i said when you swap out the cylinder on the 100 its a very fine rifle for club or field.
    100 would be first.choice and R10 as a 2nd.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    I would consider both.
    I have an HW100.
    I would buy an R10
    Both are sorted.
    The R10 can be fettled but the 100 doesnt really need it
    The 100s biggest achilees heel is the weight so I would swap out for an alloy cylinder and flog the steel to someone who wants to kill elephants.
    The R10 has the edge on balance but I hate nose heavy guns. .i e has a Pope FX alloy and its a huge difference.
    As a hunter the mag system for the 100 is untouchable. And its side lever as opposed Bolt action another huge plus for me.
    The R10 is a good looking rifle for a front end bottle gun but looks is NEVER a factor I use. Fit and Functions are the kings for me.
    You wont waste money on either and I recommend both. The only way to do this is to try them and see the fit. As i said when you swap out the cylinder on the 100 its a very fine rifle for club or field.
    100 would be first.choice and R10 as a 2nd.
    Thanks that's a nice even overview.. I have an R10 and the annoying bits are the bolt catching my NV boot when I'm night shooting & the arkward rail that limits the rings you can use. The other issue I have is. I think I want to go .20, I have had a .177 & a .22 for a while now and I love the .22 for the farmyard and I find the .177 alright overall but better in the field than the .22. I'm getting really bored of having 2 pcp's to upkeep and choose from and then thinking "I want the other one now!" I want just one as I'd rather have another Springer.
    So i figure on a .20 carbine & really the only option in .20 I think is the hw100 k. I feel it would be the best all-round solution to efficiently shooting in barns & open fields.
    Thanks steyr
    Last edited by rhyslightnin; 11-03-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I originally bought a Walther RM8 but after going back to fix a leak it came back with serious accuracy problems so i bought up to a HW100.

Was seriously impressed with the groupings after shooting springers most of my life 5p groups at 25m was good enough for me. easy action nothing to dislike except the finish of the stock.

I thought i was a pretty good shot with that gun!
    My 7 year old grandson paid a visit and wanted a go having never shot a real gun, just on video games.
    1 session later with some serious supervision the little "£$^$£"" had the same 5p groupings as me!

His finger could barely reach the trigger, so its looks like its not me its the gun.

i am not sure if i should let him have another go!

bossmugler is offline More breaking even than breaking bad
    HW100 for me. Built like a tank and functions flawlessly. Easy to work on too. Only problem was a valve stem o-ring replacement in six years of regular use

Having owned a couple of R10s and four Hw 100s over the years I would personally go for the 100. Really all you need for anything.
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

I've had 2 HW100's and 1 R10...I've still got the R10 enough said....cheers

Mick

Whichever you choose try and buy local, not so much of a pain then if it needs to be returned for issues. Both my 110 and 100 went back to HC for issues. My laminated 100 KT is very pellet fussy unlike previous 100s I’ve owned. Not owned an R10 but did have an Ultra SE which was very consistent
    R10SE .22 Tactical, Huma Regged, HW100 KT .177