Thread: Turret tape....

Turret tape....

Hi all.. I've just bought a nice little Nikon scope with tac turrets & it's got a Plex Ret so if I'm going to do any long range shooting I'll be dialing it in. I want to get some tape so I can tape the elevation turret and mark the ranges on it. Anyone got any tape tips? What sort of tape is best & what pen also works best?
    I'd thought I would start with electrical tape but Im wondering if there is something better/slightly more permanent??
    Thanks Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

No tape tips?
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    This stuff normally comes with the scope but theres an off chance a member may have a bit ?
    Depends on whether its compactable with your scope Rhys ?

The "Target Guys" may be clued-up on this subject also !
    “An airgun or two”………

Use white Electrical tape and extra fine sharpie permanent marker pen

As above, and there are better grades of 'outdoor' white electrical tape. A butty who's an alarm engineer gave me a roll -- bless.

What you really need is the tape for the little labelling machines, different colours, range of widths and cheap as chips

http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/a/bb/...s/N=2+1289026/
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by poth View Post
    Use white Electrical tape and extra fine sharpie permanent marker pen
    NO DONT USE ELECTRICAL TAPE. Its the worst thing you can use. It shrinks, doesn't stick and leaves glue residue.

The stable and best option is DYMO plastic tape for electronic machines...NOT the heavy gauge ones where you have to squeeze to leave a raised impression of the letter.

Use a ultra fine til marker to mark your distances having zeroed your scope then mark all the distances you want.

Take it off and tape a similar section taught so you can use a ruler to make better lines.

I do a top line for 10x mag and a bottom line for a higher mag.

Then get some 3M Scotch tape and cover over the Dymo as this protects the sharpie type pen from wear.

Trim to size and reposition the zero line and seal.

Use meths to clean the turret head of grease. Maybe use a blob of super glue where it joins.

But electrical tape is the single worst medium to use.

The other would be car line tape - you know the sort when pin stripes on cars was all the rage. Also a very stable and resistant product.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I've just done the same thing on a scope. Used white vinyl, the kind that's used to make vinyl graphics. So long as you don't pull or stretch the stuff when you put it on it won't shrink. Then used a CD marker pen for writing on the new distances.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    NO DONT USE ELECTRICAL TAPE. Its the worst thing you can use. It shrinks, doesn't stick and leaves glue residue.

The stable and best option is DYMO plastic tape for electronic machines...NOT the heavy gauge ones where you have to squeeze to leave a raised impression of the letter.

Use a ultra fine til marker to mark your distances having zeroed your scope then mark all the distances you want.

Take it off and tape a similar section taught so you can use a ruler to make better lines.

I do a top line for 10x mag and a bottom line for a higher mag.

Then get some 3M Scotch tape and cover over the Dymo as this protects the sharpie type pen from wear.

Trim to size and reposition the zero line and seal.

Use meths to clean the turret head of grease. Maybe use a blob of super glue where it joins.

But electrical tape is the single worst medium to use.

The other would be car line tape - you know the sort when pin stripes on cars was all the rage. Also a very stable and resistant product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    I've just done the same thing on a scope. Used white vinyl, the kind that's used to make vinyl graphics. So long as you don't pull or stretch the stuff when you put it on it won't shrink. Then used a CD marker pen for writing on the new distances.

Cheers
    Greg
    Thanks guys.. just ordered 10m of 10mm wide light grey (didn't want to put white on my hunting rifle) vinyl pinstripe tape.. and 3x ultra fine Sharpie markers red black & blue.. I'm going to do black for the first turn of the turret then red for the second. Haven't thought about covering it yet but I thought I'd try it and see if the pen stays
    Great job
    Rhys

Or buy an MTC Viper Pro with a 3 to 1 top turret
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Or buy an MTC Viper Pro with a 3 to 1 top turret
    Mmmmmmm... I prefer a 2-7 Plex I think for hunting. I had a 4-12 on my daystate & only ever used up to 7mag in the field and down to 3&4 in the farm. The reason for the turreted scope is more to improve the range of a Plex Ret allowing me to get away from hold over markers which are cluttering the view., Particularly with night vision. I reckon I'll use it more for "changing zero" as apposed to dialing, although I'll probably be making full use of it in a dialing fashion at the bash, but then the time involved won't matter as it's plinking.
    I'm really looking forward to trying it out, ive always gone for hold over markers but lusted after a nice Plex like my first scope, a Nikon 4x32. I'm hoping now I have the best of both worlds

Dialing's great as long as you return to zero after every shot. It's so easy to find yourself a whole turn out. And a dialing range of more than a full turn is asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Dialing's great as long as you return to zero after every shot. It's so easy to find yourself a whole turn out. And a dialing range of more than a full turn is asking for trouble.
    It goes to 98 yards on one turn.... I only want it to go past as I want it to go up to 110! Which is close enough to be all the way to 11, just because it's louder! I will mark this in red .
    the turret does 3 turns lock to lock & rises & falls over markers on the scope tube body which marks which turn you are on. It's pretty simple to be honest.