Thread: Restoring an antique strike-pump air gun

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Hoff is Danish.

At the intro of chap three, Hoff explains how he came to use the term "strike pump."

'Systematically different from the bellows gun is a type which is generally called a spring gun, where the momentary air pressure is created by a spring-propelled piston rushing forward in a pump-cylinder. The term spring gun is rather unsatisfactory as it ought to indicate a gun where the projectile is expelled by the direct action of a spring. In the following, the gun with spring-propelled piston will, therefore, be called strike-pump gun.'

Thanks. That explains it. It was the strike part that threw me off. I thought it referred to the energy from the spring being being passed to the projectile by way of a stiff rod

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Thanks. That explains it. It was the strike part that threw me off. I thought it referred to the energy from the spring being being passed to the projectile by way of a stiff rod
    Hoff closely follows Wolff, so, he tends to be a stickler for terminology: see Wolff's Air Gun Batteries.

By the way, there are very few proper antique air gun references available. Hoff's work and Wolff's are absolutely essential. Not much else is.