Thread: Restoring an antique strike-pump air gun

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A wonderful job you have done bringing a piece of history back to life thanks I enjoyed reading that mike

Wow, what a fascinating rifle and resurrection! Great work

At first the bang sounds excessive for the output but then I start wondering, is it deliberate? Was it intended to replicate the recoil of shooting a powder burner of the same era? Whatever the intention it's great to see her working again.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Very nice bit of necessary restoration work, John. Good to see an old timer brought back to life.

Fascinating work

Well done
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Restoring an antique strike-pump air gun

You've certainly eared any profit you'd make selling that one, great restoration , well done!
    Last edited by junglie; 12-03-2018 at 06:08 PM.

Thank you for an interesting post and even better photos. Why are they called a strike pump? Your fine old air rifle works using a piston to compress air and blow the dart down the barrel or have I misunderstood how it works?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Thank you for an interesting post and even better photos. Why are they called a strike pump? Your fine old air rifle works using a piston to compress air and blow the dart down the barrel or have I misunderstood how it works?
    That is a very interesting question and one that I don't really know the answer to. You are right in that the system is basically what we would call now a spring piston mechanism. The term "strike pump" seems to have been coined by Arne Hoff in his 1972 book "Airguns and other pneumatic arms", and he has a whole chapter entitled "Strike-pump Guns". Wherever it came from, the term has now come into general use (especially by auction houses) as a descriptor for very early spring-piston airguns where the cylinder is concealed within the stock. It is also popularly used in Germany, as "Schlagpump".

If anyone knows of any use of the term before 1972 I would be very interested to know.
    Thanks,
    John