Thread: Serial Number 1.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If you have a look at Protek Supplies, on the 2nd hand 'target rifles' page at the bottom is an immaculate Daystate Mk3 Serial no.1...

It has been there for years (literally).

Don't manufacturers often keep hold of the first few serial numbers for themselves / friends of the company / gifts to their importers? (particularly #1, to stick on the office wall)?

Then of course there's the practice of starting production numbers at 1001, or 5001, etc. To give the impression that they've made more than they actually have...?

These are probably questions for the old duffers in the collectable section, to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by trick cyclist View Post
    If you have a look at Protek Supplies, on the 2nd hand 'target rifles' page at the bottom is an immaculate Daystate Mk3 Serial no.1...

It has been there for years (literally).

http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/used...ir-rifles.html

The very first production model of this most successful rifle. Upgraded to current status in 2005. Thumbhole stock, adjustable butt plate, three magazines, silencer and muzzle break. Instruction manuals for first electronics and upgraded electronics. Fitted with BKL mounts. All in immaculate as new condition. A unique piece of history, collectors item that shoots superbly. .177 £895

just a guess but if it was left in its original status it may have sold before now. Its not in its original manufactured state as when it was made . That could put a collector off buying .

Like buying a 1960's sports car that has a 1980's engine fitted . Its not an original spec car .

I guess it depends on why it was upgraded - could have been a safety issue, or perhaps the original just failed to operate? I think in either case, if I were collecting rifles, I would see this as desirable, similar to "Iconic British sports car, complete with original 'widow maker' drum brakes..."?

Quote Originally Posted by trick cyclist View Post
    I guess it depends on why it was upgraded - could have been a safety issue, or perhaps the original just failed to operate? I think in either case, if I were collecting rifles, I would see this as desirable, similar to "Iconic British sports car, complete with original 'widow maker' drum brakes..."?
    Depends if it's going to be used or hung on a wall .

Loads of people collect classic cars that get trailer to car shows and never driven So being 100% spec it rolled off the line is desirable to some .

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Depends if it's going to be used or hung on a wall .

Loads of people collect classic cars that get trailer to car shows and never driven So being 100% spec it rolled off the line is desirable to some .
    Indeed, good point!