Thread: Webley pistol windage adjustments

Webley pistol windage adjustments

My Webley mk 1 does not shoot where I aim, and the sight is only adjustable for elevation.

What is the accepted method of windage adjustment on these pistols? Barrel bending?

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Seen a few webleys with filed foresights.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    My Webley mk 1 does not shoot where I aim, and the sight is only adjustable for elevation.

What is the accepted method of windage adjustment on these pistols? Barrel bending?
    Hello,
    Certainly not barrel bending. A limited amount of windage adjustment is possible by enlarging or elongating the rear sight blade retaining screw slot with a small round needle file sufficiently to provide some lateral movement in the direction required. Reproduction blades are readily available should you not want to modify an original item. Remember to move the rear sight blade in the direction you want the group to go.
    Regards
    Brian

PS Ignore the daft comments from those such as I.J. below who will never appreciate these fine examples of British engineering.
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 12-03-2018 at 04:45 PM.

my webley mk 1 does not shoot where i aim, and the sight is only adjustable for elevation.

What is the accepted method of windage adjustment on these pistols? barrel bending?

yes !!!
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Generally, I aim off. It's quite a nice skill to explore.

Nod to the Wobbly-haters: if I want real precision, I tend to use a pistol with a better, adjustable, rear sight.

Gentle sight filing is good. (Patronisingly, echoing my (awful, hated) technical education teacher at school, never forget that that you can remove metal, but not put it back on.)

Have you tried different pellets? Different ammo can shoot to different places horizontally, not just vertically.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Generally, I aim off. It's quite a nice skill to explore....

...Have you tried different pellets? Different ammo can shoot to different places horizontally, not just vertically.
    Aiming off, could be OK, but its not for me... Different pellets have been tried, and they don't change point of impact enough.

I'm still leaning towards gentle bending, as that is reversible, which filing is not.
    The barrel is already bent from aggressive cocking by previous owners, so its needs some bending anyway.
    Hmm.
    Getting a separate blade is perhaps the best option, anyone have an idea where they can be sourced?

Aiming off, could be OK, but its not for me... Different pellets have been tried, and they don't change point of impact enough.

I'm still leaning towards gentle bending, as that is reversible, which filing is not.
    The barrel is already bent from aggressive cocking by previous owners, so its needs some bending anyway.
    Hmm.
    Getting a separate blade is perhaps the best option, anyone have an idea where they can be sourced?
    Hi,

Further bending the barrel will only destroy the accuracy of the pistol. Like you, I'm not q big fan of aiming off, so I would gently straighten the barrel and then ensure that I could achieve reasonable groups at your chosen range before determining the direction and extent of any sight adjustments.

Replacement rear sight blades sometimes appear on that well known internet auction site or can be sourced from any of the three suppliers listed below in the UK.

http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/webl...ols-parts.html

https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24533/MK-I-Pistol/

http://www.airgunspares.com/store/ca...LEY/page5.html

If you do decide to purchase a replacement rear sight blade, make sure you specify the exact model ie pre or post war.

Regards
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 13-03-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Is the trigger pull heavy? this can produce a marked lateral innacuracy.......
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    The barrel crown can also significanlty affect POI..
    how far out is your gun shooting ? Also what is the power output ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    Mr Gen is absolutely correct with his reference to a hard trigger possibly being the problem as It's very easy to pull shots off to one side if this is the case. I's important to ensure that the trigger blade is moved directly to the rear with consistent pressure until the shot breaks followed by the holding of the pistol on aim for a further 2 -3 secs (follow through)

Iv'e found that correct attention to follow through has provided the biggest contribution to accuracy especially when shooting spring powered air pistols with the bonus of being easy to learn as you need only remember to keep the pistol on aim for a few seconds after the shot is released.

Regards
    Brian

Wouldn't be hard to make another rear sight with the extra slot if you've got a hacksaw and a file

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Further bending the barrel will only destroy the accuracy of the pistol.
    Not trying to start a debate, but I have to disagree, barrel bending has to be extreme before it affects accuracy ;-)
    The gun is grouping quite okay for a spring air pistol as it is, with a slight upwards bend.
    Thanks for the links to parts suppliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    It has a fairly good trigger for a spring pistol.
    And I'm fairly certain its not me jerking the trigger ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    The barrel crown can also significanlty affect POI.. how far out is your gun shooting ? Also what is the power output ?
    Should perhaps put it over the chrono again, I have forgotten how fast it shoots. But it has a fresh spring and piston seal, thanks to a very generous member on here, and I have been satisfied with its performance after the spring and seal change.
    It shoots about 6-7cm to the left at 10 meters if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post
    Wouldn't be hard to make another rear sight with the extra slot if you've got a hacksaw and a file
    How come I didn't think of that myself??? Must be cause I am lazy. But that seems like the best suggestion so far!