Hi everyone, first time posting here, been loitering for a bit.
So yesterday I very happily bought a brand new Air Arms TX200HC in .177 with a beautiful walnut stock, this was my dream gun. I say was because after a half day with it down at Pete's Airgun Farm I am not happy. From the very first time I cocked it there was an issue with the safety not setting and the trigger not engaging. All I could do was uncock it by pressing the anti bear trap button and releasing the tension in the spring and trying again. I've used a TX200 before and I know you need to be forceful with the cocking effort, however I was applying so much force only to set the safety say 1 in 2 times that I was worried I'd tear the action out of the stock.
After 50 or so shots it got better but after about 200 shots it started again and it would only cock (engage trigger) about half the time and engage the safety about 1 in 10 times.
However, what stopped my day at the range was when in an effort to un jam the knackered cocking action the spring tension released suddenly and the under leaver shot back up and the breach slammed shut. Needless to say if this had happened when my fingers were in there I'd be down the hospital right now.
A quick search of google shows that cocking and safety button engagement issues are relatively common and that alone will make me take the gun back, however the near miss with the slamming breach has made me lose all confidence in the safety of this rifle. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.
Has anyone else heard of this happening? Something must be seriously wrong with the internals of my rifle surely?