Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed with my dream gun

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    OP may have a problem gun.

I am not big and strong and I dont have to use an "incredible amount of force" on my .177 TX.

As long as its braced on my leg/hip its ok.

It is harder than my .177 97 tho.
    Seems that way. The OP may benefit by letting another HC owner have a go with it.

The effort excerted must seem higher on a HC due to the shorter barrel/underlever; it can be bad enough on a full size TX.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

That’s true.
    I had forgotten that, so comparison to 97 unfair.

I've got both the full length, and the HC. Both can be a bit iffy when cocking. Both have TBT kits fitted, both short stroked with export springs. Occasionally, you can cock the guns, put a pellet in, then when you want to close things up, they refuse point blank. Press the bear trap in, and it still won't allow you to return the cocking lever or decock the gun. A little extra pull on the cocking arm and all is well.

It seems that an awful lot of TX's behave like this. The simplest cure sems to be to make sure that you cock the gun fully the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    A permanent fix for this problem is a custom steel guide

I can slowly cock my TX HC counting the clicks until I hear the ping sound of the safety ( No jerking )

Are you sure that's right, Barry. My factory guide looks ever so like your custom one?

WP_20180316_00_33_33_Pro.jpg

Sorry to hear you've had no joy. You seem to have been very thorough with your tests but your remarks about the latch rod prompt me to ask if you have checked that it is concentric in the piston, easily tested for by rolling the piston on a flat surface, and not loose either.

When I had a duff Prosport twenty years ago, I didn't bother with the shop as it was a long way away, I rang Air Arms and they agreed for me to take it along to their factory. A helpful chap took me inside, had a look and replaced the trigger unit for me.

Perhaps worth a try. They're a good outfit.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Are you sure that's right, Barry. My factory guide looks ever so like your custom one?

Yes the guide on the left is a AA factory guide and the guide on the right is a one that Steve Pope made and tested for me and it has stopped all that jerking to cock, But It was about 10 years ago

Yes the guide on the left is a AA factory guide and the guide on the right is a one that Steve Pope made and tested for me and it has stopped all that jerking to cock, But It was about 10 years ago

Is your guide one or two piece ?
    Last edited by Barryg; 16-03-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Is your guide one or two piece ?
    Interesting, my gun is an SR, from the mid 1990's IIRC.

It's 2 piece. That's a big old washer on there.

Interesting, my gun is an SR, from the mid 1990's IIRC.

It's 2 piece. That's a big old washer on there.
    I wonder if something has changed over the years and the TX now needs a one piece precision guide to sort this problem if its there and we do hear a lot of it. Just wondering

I wonder if something has changed over the years and the TX now needs a one piece precision guide to sort this problem if its there and we do hear a lot of it. Just wondering
    The guide on the left is from the early MarkIII days. AA have gone back to a 2 piece guide like the older guns had. The 2 piece guide looks exactly like the custom guide,but it is not fixed solid. Once inside the gun, the washer holds the guide central. The guide on the left has a swaged washer and they were know to come apart and then the guide tube could shift to the side affecting cocking. The 2 piece guide has a nice big shoulder that won't pass through the washer and it also fits into the end plug recess. I've seen some that fit so tight they seem to be glued in place. I like the 2 piece because the guide is free to turn in the washer and the spring can rotate as well. I don't know if it helps accuracy, but they don't seem to hurt.

That ^^^^ explains the guide situation, then.

I've had a swaged guide come apart. The 2 piece are definitely better. Will probably be loose fit in a mk3 spring though

Just had in a TX200 to reduce power. Kept reducing coils to see how it responded, but in the end the spring was so short it was loose in the uncocked position and still over by 1.5 ft.lb. Found in the end if I fitted an HW95 spring shortened to no pre-load so the trigger block was just touching the spring guide when bolted in it was at 11.53 ft. lb. and very easy to cock. Additional to these findings I had trouble cocking the rifle every time I re-assembled it until I tried backing off the locking bolt by half a turn (the bolt that holds the trigger block in place). Once the rifle cocked it seemed to reset itself and I could retighten the bolt. Weird.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 17-03-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

None of this makes sense to me, surely you shouldn't have to wrench a cocking lever back as hard as you can to make a brand new gun cock, nor should you have to learn a certain technique either and definitely not have to take the thing apart yourself to put it right, a tx200 with a walnut stock must be around £500, would it be too much to ask for Air Arms to try and cock the rifle themselves before it leaves the factory, it's not rocket science is it for god sake, they should be ashamed of themselves, atb Daz

Put around 500 pellets through my TX now. Latest session was yesterday evening at Pete's and was next to a chap with a 10 month old TX200, all be it in .22. I had a go cocking his and the difference was night and day compared to mine, I could slowly ease the underlever back and engage the trigger and safety with no effort at all. Clearly there are some big differences between TX's.
    I've now pretty much mastered the cocking technique and after 150 pellets yesterday I only had 3 incidents of the trigger sears not engaging, the safety didn't work about 1 in 4 times. The effort though is still, in my opinion, extreme ,and my arm is still aching today. I have mastered the art however and it is great to shoot which helps. Will I keep hold of it... well that's yet to be decided.