Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointed with my dream gun

Disappointed with my dream gun

Hi everyone, first time posting here, been loitering for a bit.
    So yesterday I very happily bought a brand new Air Arms TX200HC in .177 with a beautiful walnut stock, this was my dream gun. I say was because after a half day with it down at Pete's Airgun Farm I am not happy. From the very first time I cocked it there was an issue with the safety not setting and the trigger not engaging. All I could do was uncock it by pressing the anti bear trap button and releasing the tension in the spring and trying again. I've used a TX200 before and I know you need to be forceful with the cocking effort, however I was applying so much force only to set the safety say 1 in 2 times that I was worried I'd tear the action out of the stock.
    After 50 or so shots it got better but after about 200 shots it started again and it would only cock (engage trigger) about half the time and engage the safety about 1 in 10 times.
    However, what stopped my day at the range was when in an effort to un jam the knackered cocking action the spring tension released suddenly and the under leaver shot back up and the breach slammed shut. Needless to say if this had happened when my fingers were in there I'd be down the hospital right now.
    A quick search of google shows that cocking and safety button engagement issues are relatively common and that alone will make me take the gun back, however the near miss with the slamming breach has made me lose all confidence in the safety of this rifle. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.
    Has anyone else heard of this happening? Something must be seriously wrong with the internals of my rifle surely?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Take it back and get another one.

This is the reason why I get most of my rifles second-hand, the foibles have been sorted or if they haven't then I can strip the gun, relube and tweak any QC issues that have been missed.

Generally these are excellent rifles, sounds like you were unlucky and got a duff one. The internet will give the impression of faults being more frequent than they actually are, the rifle is extremely popular for a reason, and it is possibly one of the best springers made in terms of design.

Quote Originally Posted by AAPaulF View Post
    .....A quick search of google shows that cocking and safety button engagement issues are relatively common and that alone will make me take the gun back, however the near miss with the slamming breach has made me lose all confidence in the safety of this rifle. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.....
    I had one that could be tricky to set the trigger or/and safety consistently. When I asked others about it the response was that they need a 'positive' cocking action particularly at the end of the stroke. Once you get the knack it worked OK...but that's not to say I liked the action one bit. NEVER let go of the underlever, ABT or not.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

What a pity. Have you carefully checked the underlever for true? It's possible to bend them in this way, either too much cocking force or letting it go and slamming shut. Clearly your wisest route is to return it forthwith to the dealer. I can think of two or three simple causes, easily checked for and put right if you have experience of stripping the type, although you're unlikely to want to risk warranty voiding in these circumstances. I hope things are quickly resolved for you. They are super guns.

Welcome to the forum

As already said, don't ever let go of that under lever - regardless of any safety features. You've seen why, in no uncertain terms.

Also, I agree with everyone else - take it back to the shop.
    The lever flying up may have caused damage so, I'd request a swap for a new one - try it before you leave the shop so that you can be sure that you're happy with it.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    I had one that could be tricky to set the trigger or/and safety consistently. When I asked others about it the response was that they need a 'positive' cocking action particularly at the end of the stroke. Once you get the knack it worked OK...but that's not to say I liked the action one bit. NEVER let go of the underlever, ABT or not.
    This 'give it a good pull' business is often stated. To me this smacks of poor engineering as I have shot several TX where the action cocks / safety sets with no problem. There are fixes available if you search the web or on here, usually associated with tweeks to the spring guide / top hat. But in the meantime, return the rifle and test any new one before accepting it.

Cheers, Phil

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    This just sounds like you need to adjust the trigger as it's not engaging properly and therefor the safety/underlever and sear are all literally hanging by a thread - It's the first thing you should have done after the first shot. Try adjusting it now before you take it back, this could be your own inexperience of this gun rather than a big issue - if it's not, then it has only taken you 5 minuets to find out that you do indeed have an issue and have to return it.

Best of luck, but don't just write it off as a duffer.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Straight back to the shop with it would be my answer,
    if the stock is faultless & you want a TX you could ask for the action to be replaced rather than a complete new rifle but that will probably mean it goes back to AA for inspection/repair.

I have Tx200hc and I have had the problem you describe, but not as bad. I found a really firm cocking stroke was required and once I got into that routine all was fine.

Check the pistol grip area of the stock as I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find a crack straight across that...
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

I've had a few TX200's and a couple had this issue when I bought them (mostly second hand)
    Every one was fixed very easily by doing two things

1. Cleaning the factory gunk out of the trigger and safety, and lubricating the safety mechanism with a light oil
    2. Properly adjusting the trigger

I shoot a few hundred pellets a week (up to a tin a week sometimes) with my Mk3 and never have to tug it hard to get it all to engage. Sometimes the cocking lever will come all they way to its end stop with barely any noticeable resistance from the trigger.

However having said that, you shouldn't have to modify a new gun, so you should be perfectly entitled to take it back. You might have got unlucky and maybe your trigger has an excessive amount of factory grease in, or the latch rod is off centre.
    It's a shame you've had this problem as they really are excellent airguns

Welcome to the forum.
    Don't be to disheartened about the issue with your rifle. It is very disappointing when you buy a new gun and it lets you down from the start. I just bought a Diana 470TH and had to take it back to the shop to get it sorted out, that was nearly 4 weeks ago and still not got it back yet. My advice to you is to do the same take it straight make to the shop, they may just swap it over there and then.
    You have bought one of the best springer air rifles money can buy, and once you have this niggle sorted out you will love her to bits. It's like buying a lot of things you could buy your dream car and it breaks down, so get it sorted and rekindle your love affair with her, because she will be worth waiting for.
    All the best, Ade
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

You should have bought german springer

When buying a british springer you should expect problems

I would never buy another air arms after the problems i had with a tx200.
    Not firing
    Not cocking
    Not being accurate
    Shaking it screws loose
    ....in the end i smashed it with a hammer --as i would have felt guilty passing it on

Anyway take it back and go german
    Air arms do howevet make good pcps never had a problem with an aa pcp

I posted a thread a few months ago about cocking problems with my MKII it turned out I was just being cack handed (left hand shooter, right hand writer) after some time just practicing cocking all was fine. Don't get disheartened by it I'm sure the problem will get fixed, they are great rifles when working properly. As you found out to your detriment, never take your hand off the lever when cocked!
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, but mostly I just sits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
    ....in the end i smashed it with a hammer --as i would have felt guilty passing it on [...]
    Cripes, I'd have thought there's quite a few folks on here who'd have been up for the challenge.

Being as there's only about 6 moving parts in a springer (plus about 6 parts in a trigger unit).

And there was me thinking you were fairly sane for the most part.