Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed with my dream gun

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement. I took it back to the shop today and incredibly couldn’t get it to replicate the trigger sear not engaging. Typical! That being said, the amount of force I was encouraged to use was a lot more than I had ever used before, and as a big bloke I wasnt messing around with it before. It’s just a characteristic of the rifle so Needless to say they wouldn’t take back a rifle which wasn’t exhibiting any fault.

Agreed, I was lucky with the underlever flying back both in respect of keeping all my fingers and not breaking the rifle. Lesson learnt.

All this being said I still have to put an incredible amount of force into cocking this tx, much more than the only other over ever used and it isn’t fun. So...
    I got home and stripped it down fully, degreased and re-lubed, that made no difference although I have introduced some twang annoyingly. I determined how the latch rod engages the trigger and safety and cleaned both mechanisms but again no difference. The only thing that made it marginally easier for both trigger and safety to engage was to lighten the trigger weight but I was verging on having a hair trigger.

Has anyone please got experience of fixing this non fault?

Have a look around online at CD trigger diagrams and how to correctly adjust them, if you've not already done so. They take a bit of doing to get right as each adjustment affects the other.

Also, take the stock off again and check that the ally front stock screws fixing bracket bolted onto the underneath of the compression tube has a flush fitting allen headed bolt securing it. It is possible for the cocking lever pivot bracket when drawn right down to foul a non-flush bolt head, impeding rearwards travel and cocking.

The bolt may screw on tighter and seat properly, or require a bit more of a countersink.

Good luck.

As above.

Also, make sure the trigger mechanism is lubed.

And the safety catch - oil on a regular basis.

Check the power output. If this were on the healthy side and there is scope for a little power reduction, collapsing a coil will have the desired effect and lessen the cocking effort slightly too.

Hope you get there and start to gel with it. When I first got mine I liked it, but didn't love it. Wouldn't be without it now.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

THis is a comment I found a few years ago ... same problem ; having to yank on the underlever:

1. had this problem with mine. found it was the piston and spring guide touching removed half a mill from top of guide and it cocks as easy as you like now

I did this to a 'yanking' rifle and it cured it.

Just thoughts ....
    Cheers, Phil

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post

THis is a comment I found a few years ago ... same problem ; having to yank on the underlever:

1. had this problem with mine. found it was the piston and spring guide touching removed half a mill from top of guide and it cocks as easy as you like now

I did this to a 'yanking' rifle and it cured it.

Just thoughts ....
    Cheers, Phil
    Get your RFD to do this for you however or you will invalidate your warranty. Persevere with it, and get it sorted, however, as imo, you have there, one of the very best straight from the box spring-powered air rifles to ever grace the market place.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I had this problem after fitting a plastic spring guide and power washer, I removed the power washer and this fixed it.
    for this reason I would suggest that the spring length was at its absolute maximum.
    I agree that it needs a knack to cock it.
    don't give up on this rifle however just get used to it. I love mine.

Mine has done this since new.

It’s 4 years old now.

Not all the time and I just decided it was me not the gun.

There is a definite technique involved in cocking.

I had the same problem with a Prosport years ago and a young Lady at AA talked me through it
    Made me feel a bit daft to be honest.
    But I learned the value of the final jerk -so to speak!

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Mine has done this since new.

It’s 4 years old now.

Not all the time and I just decided it was me not the gun.

There is a definite technique involved in cocking.

I had the same problem with a Prosport years ago and a young Lady at AA talked me through it
    Made me feel a bit daft to be honest.
    But I learned the value of the final jerk -so to speak!
    Did the discussion with AA suggest it was 'normal' behaviour? That's what I was told by others - and to give it a final tug at the end of the cocking cycle!
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Yes indeed.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    A permanent fix for this problem is a custom steel guide

I can slowly cock my TX HC counting the clicks until I hear the ping sound of the safety ( No jerking )

TX

I had this issue whilst trying a few drop in kits, and thought its trigger going wrong, since fittment of my TL jobbie its smooth as silk and I can kinda feel the sears lock on with a click

I found the problem was on one kit the spring was just binding on compression and the other kit it was the guides touching each other I think ?

Any how, both those kits gave me the issue or it was how I was installing them !

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post

I can slowly cock my TX HC counting the clicks until I hear the ping sound of the safety ( No jerking )

As it should be ....

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post

I can slowly cock my TX HC counting the clicks until I hear the ping sound of the safety ( No jerking ) .....
    Considering the OP has just bought a new rifle with the problem, AA do not appear to have made any improvement? Maybe they should be informed that folk have to fix up brand new guns! Then they would truely have the best gun out of the box
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 15-03-2018 at 11:18 AM.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

OP may have a problem gun.

I am not big and strong and I dont have to use an "incredible amount of force" on my .177 TX.

As long as its braced on my leg/hip its ok.

It is harder than my .177 97 tho.

Thanks again everyone. I've now had the gun apart at least 10 times (it's incredibly simple) and tried every single variable to try and improve the situation, including every suggestion made in this thread. The most interesting thing for me is that if I simply take the spring out then reassemble the rifle then the trigger sears and safety engage with ease regardless of cocking effort. As soon as I put the spring back then it is back to before with only a very firm single pull on that underlever cocking it. Even taking the cocking action beyond the ABT clicks and stopping and then applying all the force in the world won't engage either trigger or safety, you have to release the underlever and start again with that single and very firm pull.
    My personal opinion is that I think the force of the compressed spring might be moving the latch rod out of line in relation to the trigger arming sear, so it won't engage it properly, that is all I can think.

Clearly the manufacturing tolerances are not the same on all TX's and that is evidenced on these forums with a good mix of people who have easily cocked rifles (and therefore no experience of this annoying trait) and those owning a TX that requires a heavy hand.

Funnily enough the Air Arms own You Tube video showing how to cock a TX clearly shows the successful use of a soft cocking action that if I were to use I'd have the problems I've discussed here.

Still not impressed if I'm honest, I will email Air Arms and stress my dissatisfaction, I will let you know how I get on. i think the challenge will be that ultimately it works fine, you just have to use brute force and I cannot blame the retailer for not taking it back. My issue is that compared to the only other standard TX I've used which was a dream to cock, I'm left with a rifle I am fed up with and lost all faith in.