Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: For fun Holt's Wiscombe how much?

Richard I have a question for you... there was a Haenel 28R at today's auction. It was estimated at about 400-600 I think. In that region anyway. Yet there was only one bid on it.... at £1,300! Now surely that's a bit of a rip off not to start at the lower estimate and let the chap buy it at whatever price it settled at rather than jumping right in at £1,300.

The other niggle was how quick the auctioneer closed some of the lots. I know he has a little quip at internet bidders taking their time however on one lot I certainly did not take my time. I bid at the same time as someone else and was out-bid. I immediately bid again only for the auctioneer to slam the hammer down. I think there had only been three bids so far on it. Oh well, save my cash for Kempton Not really moaning, just some feedback for you.

The Webley Mk2 services seemed to do well at this auction with this cased three barrel example fetching £3,100 hammer ( £4,130 with costs).

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...4907&saletype=

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    The Webley Mk2 services seemed to do well at this auction with this cased three barrel example fetching £3,100 hammer ( £4,130 with costs).

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...4907&saletype=

Brian
    Top money but a very nice piece
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    Richard I have a question for you... there was a Haenel 28R at today's auction. It was estimated at about 400-600 I think. In that region anyway. Yet there was only one bid on it.... at £1,300! Now surely that's a bit of a rip off not to start at the lower estimate and let the chap buy it at whatever price it settled at rather than jumping right in at £1,300.

The other niggle was how quick the auctioneer closed some of the lots. I know he has a little quip at internet bidders taking their time however on one lot I certainly did not take my time. I bid at the same time as someone else and was out-bid. I immediately bid again only for the auctioneer to slam the hammer down. I think there had only been three bids so far on it. Oh well, save my cash for Kempton Not really moaning, just some feedback for you.
    I’m not sure how that can happen?

Interesting question I will find out for you

Unsold lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    Unsold lot!
    Looks like it sold

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...6165&saletype=

Looks like someone wanted it quite badly

That or the price paid is a mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post

Richard can answer that.

But usual auction practice is that if you start out with commission bids, you start at the highest, one bid increment above the one below. Perhaps they had one commission bid at £1250, and another at £1300. That means you start at £1300.

Which is silly money, as we all know. That pistol was probably over-valued at £500-600. But if two people really wanted it and put in high commission bids, then £1300 happened.

If so, it's possible that if £1300 guy had not bid, £1250 guy could have had it for a lot less than £1250. Or vice-versa.

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    It looks like the 2 Whiscombes in today's Holts auction have also sold for serious amounts of cash!

The LH sporter in .22 sold for 2900 (3770 with fees) and the 'rusty' action only with missing parts sold for 550 (715 with fees)...

It also looks like the HW55 are becoming desirable, it sold for 600 plus fees!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    that's just silly....
    Agreed. The Whizzers I can sort of understand, but a total price of something over £700 for an HW55T is indeed silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Richard can answer that.

But usual auction practice is that if you start out with commission bids, you start at the highest, one bid increment above the one below. Perhaps they had one commission bid at £1250, and another at £1300. That means you start at £1300.

Which is silly money, as we all know. That pistol was probably over-valued at £500-600. But if two people really wanted it and put in high commission bids, then £1300 happened.

If so, it's possible that if £1300 guy had not bid, £1250 guy could have had it for a lot less than £1250. Or vice-versa.
    Possible but that’s a lot of money for something that’s not terribly rare, we sold a nice Giffard pistol for very little more which looked too cheap to me.

Did anyone see it sell at that or could it be a typo?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Agreed. The Whizzers I can sort of understand, but a total price of something over £700 for an HW55T is indeed silly.
    Does seem a little toppy but really nice 55’s are hard to find these days.

Market for really good air guns is very buoyant right now, I am going to put a few of mine in the next sale

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Does seem a little toppy but really nice 55’s are hard to find these days.

Market for really good air guns is very buoyant right now, I am going to put a few of mine in the next sale
    Why not bring them to KP

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Possible but that’s a lot of money for something that’s not terribly rare, we sold a nice Giffard pistol for very little more which looked too cheap to me.

Did anyone see it sell at that or could it be a typo?

Yes, £1,300. I was watching it live. Also confirmed on Holt's website. Shocking.

Whiscombe

An observational thought, how much do you think the JW70 would have sold for had it a right handed rifle?
    Hands up for those that think far more.

I handled the 55T and it was a minter. I've seen tatty ones for sale at £500 plus, whats going on, is there something about these 55T's I don't know about ? Good mind to put mine in the next sale although after Holts have taken their cut I suppose I'd be better off taking it to Kempton. What is the true/real value of a nice clean 55T then without auction fever ?
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

55t

A fair value would be between £250 and £350 without auction fever and additional costs.