Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: For fun Holt's Wiscombe how much?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    That learned friends is the power of a proper international auction

Selling privately that’s a £2000 gun and you would have to wait months for the right buyer.

Suddenly the sellers premium looks cheap
    How much did the seller have to pay Holts, I wonder? And maybe it's a £2,500 gun privately these days.

Not such a great deal, I suspect, although in this instance Holts would seem to have been a reasonable choice. Pot luck really. Some Holts sales don't make a decent return at all.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    How much did the seller have to pay Holts, I wonder? And maybe it's a £2,500 gun privately these days.

Not such a great deal, I suspect, although in this instance Holts would seem to have been a reasonable choice. Pot luck really. Some Holts sales don't make a decent return at all.
    From what I have been told by Holts the seller fee is 15% on first £1000 and 10% on the remainder all +VAT, that's negotiable on how much you are selling, what you are selling and so on.

So as the gun sold for £3300 the fee would be (150+230)*1.2= £456, so the seller would actually get £2844, the buyer actually paid £4290 inclusive of 25% buyers fee and VAT on the fee.

I make that over £1000 of profit in this case...

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    From what I have been told by Holts the seller fee is 15% on first £1000 and 10% on the remainder all +VAT, that's negotiable on how much you are selling, what you are selling and so on.

So as the gun sold for £3300 the fee would be (150+230)*1.2= £456, so the seller would actually get £2844, the buyer actually paid £4290 inclusive of 25% buyers fee and VAT on the fee.

I make that over £1000 of profit in this case...
    That's a hefty seller's commission! In this case it seems that if the rifle had been advertised privately for, say, £2,995, BBS member JSD would have snapped it up, if he was willing to pay £3,300 plus fees at auction.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

So Holts makes a tad over 25% fee.
    When you buy a sandwich at the petrol station they make a lot more than that. A lot of retail is 60% or higher. Some other suff 10%.

Auction houses have their place, as do on line auctions. Private sales sections too. As a seller the question to be asked is: "am I happy with the price I am getting?" How much time do I want to spend maximising my return and what confidence do I have actually finding the top value?

Someone has a fantastic rifle. More than one person wanted it, that day that was the going rate if you wanted it. Sadly not me

And if the buyer bid online that's another 5% on top to Invaluable.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    So Holts makes a tad over 25% fee.
    When you buy a sandwich at the petrol station they make a lot more than that.
    Just to be accurate, Holts makes a lot more than this because both buyer and seller pay fees on the same sale. Sandwich is an apt comparison...

I'm not actually knocking Holts, since they are just another business functioning within the marketplace and the high fees are balanced against market reach and access.

But lets not pretend that this is a cheaper option than a private sale or purchase, purely in economic terms.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

itf all b sh,,t

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    GSMN1's guess was very close then.
    Yes, well played.

I think mine was the furthest away.

Quote Originally Posted by ratshot5 View Post
    itf all b sh,,t
    Another fantastic contribution to the BBS, ratshot5.... if you were to leave, the forum would be so diminished without you.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

I bought a beautiful 1947 AYA Live Pigeon Gun from Holts with 2 sets of barrels last year, £1500 with fees and a bargain to my reckoning. I found them very good to deal with, they have a wide variety of stuff going through their sales but they do have some very nice items.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Yes, well played.

I think mine was the furthest away.
    I have a vested interest in this particular guns inflation. This is mine JW80.22 FAC #51 Last one ever made. Guesstimates on valuation?

https://www.walnut.black

Nice, but sorry to say it wasn't the last Whiscombe made, last one was a JW75Mk2....
    Last JW80! I stand corrected.
    https://www.walnut.black

Incredible flame-type grain on that Whiscombe! Is the other side of the butt as good?

My best stock is this Diana and it's quite different one one side and the other - not plain, just different.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    It also looks like the HW55 are becoming desirable, it sold for 600 plus fees!
    that's just silly....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Holts

I wonder how much the gold HW80 went for? Seems the HWW55T prices are starting to go up? Mach 1.5