Thread: k 98

k 98

got a diana k 98 mauser in 177 it is the most twangy of twangy things i have ever owned is it worth fitting a tinbum tuning kit or stripping and polishing and regreasing had a quote from cgr who are always very good from 75 to 150 depending on actions taken..bearing in mind it has had about 100 pellets thro it since new last year is it worth doing or not
    whale oil beef hooked

Ask Tinbum as he did own one or still does.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Ask Tinbum as he did own one or still does.
    I've had two of them but both .177 so didn't have them long. They both twanged (twung?) like a baggy banjo. Whatever else you do, it does need degreasing and relubing properly as a matter of urgency.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Twang!

I remember TonyL saying something like "Mainspring twang is entirely dependant on guide fit".

That sounds right enough, but I also suppose there's a few other parts in a springer that can buzz or twang.

What was/is up with Diana? Did they make the Kar98 copy as just a wall-hanger, or what?

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I remember TonyL saying something like "Mainspring twang is entirely dependant on guide fit".

That sounds right enough, but I also suppose there's a few other parts in a springer that can buzz or twang.

What was/is up with Diana? Did they make the Kar98 copy as just a wall-hanger, or what?
    The twang is the spring rattling around in the piston, bouncing off the sides. Having good fitting guides at both ends stops this from happening. Diana, like HW, have no front guide (top hat) so the spring end thrashes around like a big, metal thrashy thing!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I have fitted Tinbum guides in my .22 K98 and it shoots quite nicely. It is also extremely accurate, on a par with any other .22 I have owned. All told a rather nice rifle with an excellent trigger.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    The one I swapped with tinbum was only oiled from new no grease at all on the guides or spring
    Pete

I avoid Dianas in .177.

My K98 is in .22 and is fine.
    Not smooth but acceptable.