Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther CP3 problem

Walther CP3 problem

As previous posts I bought a Walther CP3 in December. It was shooting fine and I was really pleased with it.

but...

I left the co2 cylinder on the pistol, went to use it and the cylinder was no longer screwed to the pistol!

closer inspection showed that the threaded portion of the brass part that the co2 cylinder screws into (part no. 264 see diagram below)

http://www.carl-walther.com/fileadmi..._2500311_c.pdf

was now in the cylinder.

At first I assumed the thread had stripped off, but I was able to retrieve the threaded section and in fact the threaded part appears to be more like a brass ferrule that has been soldered or glued onto the main part (although the Walther diagram shows it as a single part).

Ideally I'd like to get hold of part no 264 (anyone got a broken CP3 they don't want) or I need to somehow fix the ferrule permanently onto the main part.

all (sensible!!!) ideas welcome

cheers

CP3 problem

Hi, can you upload photos, item 264 is solid on my CP1s
    Dave
    never put off till tommorow, what you can put off till the day after
    Walter CP1 (x2). Feinwerkbau C60. Hammerli 450. Webley mk3 Baikal IZH 46M. QB78. Crosman 766

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Hmmmmmm?

Are you sure you have described this accurately? If so you have a very interesting and mysterious case!

I have a CP2 which is near enough the same, part 264 is not brass, its steel, and the male thread is all one machined part, the 3 is the same.

You say brass threaded part? The only brass threaded part is a female brass thread, a part of the cylinder, it is supposed to be in the cylinder (and can't escape!) its not only the attachment thread to the pistol body but also holds the cylinder valve in place, and is secured in the cylinder by a locking ring, with an o ring seal between the locking ring and the part I think you are referring to, and that locking ring is some where between tight and b***y tight!

If you can find a drawing of the internals of the cylinder it will all become apparent to you how mysterious this is!

Is the locking ring still there on end of the cylinder? (it has a hex internal drive), I can't see how your brass threaded bit has escaped!!!

I'm bemused by the cylinder came off when stored!!

Have you ever taken the cylinder off since you've had it? If not I'd suspect an incredible bodge had previously been done with the cylinder miss assembled?

Interesting!!
    Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Part 264 is a 1 pce male unit and used on many Walther CO2 models.

You may find a replacement here:http://www.waffencenter-gotha.de/shop/index.php or on egun.de

Try Protek supplies.They seem to have some Walter spares
    Chris.

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the comments.

Just to clarify the part I mean is 'male' and machined from brass, it is secured with 2 allen pan headed bolts into the receiver and sits between the (removable) co2 cylinder and the receiver and also secures the spring loaded plunger within the receiver.

Part number 262 is definitely brass (at least it is on my CP3) As Robin said the part is similar on the CP2 (part 304 Aufnahme) I think the CP1 is of different construction.

What seems to have happened on my pistol is the the pressure on this part (from the nearly fulll co2 cylinder) has caused the threaded part of the 'Aufnahme' to detach. As per Robin the fact that it is in two parts may be a 'bodge' from the past possibly because the threads got stripped?

Looking at the Walther diagrams, the part looks the same on the Walther CG90 (part no. 49) http://www.carl-walther.com/fileadmi..._2490544_c.pdf

and I've found it available for euro 80 at https://www.schiesssport-billharz.de....-49-Aufnahme1

These pictures show the valve internals that screw into a brass end cap on the cylinder. The mating thread on the pistol is one piece that bolts onto the pistol receiver. It sounds like the end cap of the cylinder has come unscrewed I don't know how as they are f'ing difficult to remove.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcsHjpm
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

I have just looked at my CP1 and CP2. On the CP1 the cylinder mount is steel and is held on with three screws. On the CP2 the cylinder mount is brass and is held on with two screws.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    I have just looked at my CP1 and CP2. On the CP1 the cylinder mount is steel and is held on with three screws. On the CP2 the cylinder mount is brass and is held on with two screws.
    The cylinder is fine, it’s the threaded part of the cylinder mount that has come away

In theory you could have it silver soldered back together. It should be plenty strong enough. Failing that I would try Protek supplies as they have quite a lot of obsequre walther spares.

Going to try Protek, if no joy then I’ll try silver soldering option.

Well I called Protek, not really expecting them to have this piece, got a call back and was amazed that they’d found a brand new one. Collected today at Kempton along with some green co2 cylinder seals.

So should be up and running later tonight, after top gear!

FYI I found a caution message on a German airgun site to ensure that the seal and threads are kept lubricated to prevent the brass threads stripping

Big thank you to Protek and the advice offered here.

final update...

Fitted the new part Sunday eve, also changed the green seal in the co2 cylinder and lubed with pellgunoil.

All working fine now.

I'd also suggest not filling the co2 cylinder to the full weight, as this puts more pressure on the threaded receiver, unlike a modern pcp if the thread does strip its not going to be easy to find a replacement, think I got very lucky with Protek having the part in stock. I'd also recommend not storing the pistol with a filled co2 cylinder screwed on.

It was a pleasure to meet you on Sunday. Having looked at your old part I would say it had been thoroughly mucked around with by some past owner. The pressures in Co2 are much lower than PCP and an unaltered adapter will be more than strong enough to take the pressures. I personally find it is quite difficult to fill a cylinder to near the limit. Enjoy your pistol

I was hoping you'd finally give up and I could take it off yer hands It was good to meet you Sunday and pleased you've got it sorted, they're a great pistol, Protek have suprised me in the past with what they seem to have within there store, If you ever fancy shooting somewhere different you'd be more than welcome to pop into Bexley one Thursday evening for a cuppa and some time on the range,

atb
    Nige

[QUOTE=Discocom;7467847]final update...

Fitted the new part Sunday eve, also changed the green seal in the co2 cylinder and lubed with pellgunoil.

All working fine now.

I'd also suggest not filling the co2 cylinder to the full weight, as this puts more pressure on the threaded receiver, unlike a modern pcp if the thread does strip its not going to be easy to find a replacement, think I got very lucky with Protek having the part in stock. I'd also recommend not storing the pistol with a filled co2 cylinder screwed on.[/QUOTE
    Last edited by nige346; 27-03-2018 at 08:59 PM.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more