Thread: Webley Victor?

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Webley Victor?

I might have the opportunity to pick one of these up - good condition, apart from a broken rear sight - but haven't heard much about them. Price will be very low or possibly free, but TBH at this point I have storage to think about so don't want to necessarily have another gun for the sake of it.

What's the general opinion of these?
    Good deals with these members

It's basically a Vulcan with a plainer stock and no safety catch (which is no loss). Pretty much like the more modern Excel. Rear sight will be easy to find. Full power and should shoot just fine.
    I think, but am not 100% sure, that it uses the thinner barrel of the Mk.1 Vulcan.

Basically a Vulcan with shorter spring & no safety catch sat in a shorter stock marketed towards the younger shooter.

And, er, what are the Vulcans like?

Plain shorter stock Vulcan action with a slightly weaker spring (10 ft-lbs allegedly in .177, 11 in .22", but those are factory figures, reality may be a bit lower). Made 1981-89.

Vulcans and Victors are classic Webleys. Lovely finish, light, handle well, poor single-stage triggers, bit jumpy, not quite up to contemporary FWB/HW standards of performance, but decent plinkers, good barn guns, and perfectly capable of pest control out to 25 yards. Just not quite as consistent or accurate as an 80, Sport, etc.

Personally, I'd prefer a German Diana 27 in the not-quite-full-power-springer plinker stakes, but a Victor at the right price and in good nick is still a nice thing. Free, it's a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    And, er, what are the Vulcans like?

They're like a Victor, but with a fancier stock and a safety catch

Thumbs up

Thanks all, I will probably pick it up if I can then

Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post
    Well it tickled moi!
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

This was my first ever .22 when I was about 7 , still got it beutifally made the lock up to breach is lovely and solid clunk, don’t make them like this anymore this is when Webley had something magical about there engineering and bluing on these where beutifally done, is oil it every night and take pleasure in doing plastic pull throughs.

I got mine shooting very very sweet with a home tune and even buttoned the piston way back when I was probably 12 years old believe it or not 😳 I really must get that gun out again, in fact if anyone has a stock for one give me a shout as I record mine.

I would deffinately buy it, very easy to strip and nothing to the trigger , I got my one very light bit safe.

Atb
    Daniel

Pin or bolt at the breech pivot? So, an open sight only rifle even though Webley put scope rails in the cylinder.

I rest my case.

[Well Im snowed in and bored. ]
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

Well it tickled moi!
    Ha ha ha, and me, too. ... But if the o-p wants to know more about the Vulcan range of rifles please have a search under my started threads and all will be (mostly) revealed, as I started a thread on the subject towards the latter part of last year (on the 16th September to be precise) ...

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 18-03-2018 at 01:54 PM. Reason: to ad the actual date the Vulcan thread was started for ref etc.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Further to this thread, I should be receiving the rifle in the next week or two - does anyone have a spare rear sight for sale (or swap, if I have something you need) that could be set aside for me?

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Further to this thread, I should be receiving the rifle in the next week or two - does anyone have a spare rear sight for sale (or swap, if I have something you need) that could be set aside for me?
    Drop abellringer a line. He has or used to have quite a few Webley bits knocking around.