Thread: FWB 300S stuck sidelever solution

FWB 300S stuck sidelever solution

I recently had need to free a stuck 300S sidelever in order to service the rifle and bring it back to shooting condition. The sidelever was stuck in the open position but would not return; the action was, as expected, cocked.
    Initially I had a look on the web but found no real help. So this post is about what I found and how to free the lever so that a service can be made. I am not going into the service procedure as there are several posts available on that, many with pictures ... just run a search.
    So you have a possibly cocked rifle with the sidelever stuck open. What to do: If you have loaded the rifle, remove pellet by pushing it out from the muzzle. Remove the stock, 2 screws. Remove action and lay it trigger uppermost. This puts the sliding sledge on top ... it may help to keep the sidelever to the right.
    Release and remove the cross pin half way down the sledge ... 4mm E clip then slide the pin out. Release the small spring that attaches the sledge rail pins to the action: simple job with needle nose pliers. No need to remove spring entirely, just unhook it. Now remove the E clips (3.2mm) that hold the sledge slide pins in place. The clips are a bit fiddly to remove so I advise keeping a finger over the location during the process so that they do not ping into oblivion. Remove the 2 pins ... I used a small mole grip type plier to grip the ends. The sledge part can then be moved back and up to free it. Lift it away... a bit fiddly but easy once you have done it.
    Now look inside the trigger frame and note a ratchet about 5cm long. The problem will undoubtedly be that the ratchet pawl has stuck on the end of the ratchet. There is a small expansion spring attached to the pawl. You need to release the pawl: get a small screwdriver or 'pick'. Place the sidelever against your side and, while pushing the sidelever open a fraction in order to release tension on the pawl, use the screwdriver blade to push down on the edge of the pawl near the spring attachment. This will release the pawl from the ratchet and allow you to ease the sidelever back into rest. If the sidelever is clearly under tension all the time then the action will not be cocked. If the lever is not under tension then the action is cocked so treat with care. The trigger should not trip with the lever open because of the trigger lock but better be safe, just in case. It may need a couple of operations to get it done but persevere. I do not really recommend taking the pawl out immediately. This would undoubtedly do the job but could release the sidelever in quite an uncontrolled way. Far better to leave the pawl in place and just tease it out of the way.
    Once back in the closed position and if the lever was under tension while closing i.e. action not cocked, you can continue the strip procedure. Do not be tempted to recock the action.. the lever will no doubt stick again and you are back to square one. If the action is cocked then take care .. I hope you removed the pellet ... and maybe dry fire safely. To investigate further I reassembled the rifle without the mainspring. This allowed me to be virtually certain it was the pawl sticking. I removed the pawl but left the ratchet and the rifle worked perfectly.
    I found the solution was a new ratchet ... the old one in my case had a light ridge where the pawl was sticking. Access to the ratchet is from the rear of the trigger frame ... you have to remove the frame as part of the strip down anyway so I will stop here.
    Hoping this helps someone sometime ...
    Cheers, Phil
    A note on safety: I have tried to cover all possibilities and offered a solution in good faith but please take care while doing this as a potentially cocked / loaded gun out of the stock is dangerous.
    Last edited by Phil Russell; 14-03-2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: extra info

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Thanks for sharing Phil !
    I have a couple of nice 300's and its always useful to be aware of all matters concerning our air rifles such is the quality and spirit of the BBS !
    “An airgun or two”………

This is not so uncommon then. Over the period I have been repairing airguns, I have come across this four or five times, also I have seen the actual ratchet piece split and this has caused a jammed action. There is also a tiny dead spot where the action is in a kind of no mans land and if the cocking lever is slightly ''eased-off'' at this point, the gun will also jam but not through any damaged parts.
    I think your post covers an awkward situation very, very well and will help lots of people to safely de-fuse an awkward and worrying situation, as you point out so clearly, if you put a pellet in, be sure it is removed; also to be aware of the power of the mainspring on the cocking lever, it may be more than you expect.
    Really good post, well done sir.
    abellringer

Abellringer ... your inbox is full. I tried to send you a thank you note but failed.
    Cheers, Phil