Thread: Collectable springers and quality scopes question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Collectable springers and quality scopes question

I'm fortunate enough to have some nice vintage glass that I've collected over the years, Lisenfeld, Pecar, USA made vintage Weaver's and Redfield's etc and would love to put them on some of my old collectable springers, HW35's, HW80, and a couple of gas rams like the Theoben Fenman and similar but reluctant to do so as I'm not sure the old reticles in these scopes could take the double recoil of the springers as they were designed for r/f and c/f. What do you guys think, anyone use good vintage scopes on springers with no breakages ?
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Id keep them away from the rammers Bob, but should be fine on standard sprigers, especially if they've been fettled and aren't oversprung.

I have Quality japanese 80s glass on all my old springers now, Ive never had a problem with reticules breaking.
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

: Collectable springers and quality scopes question

my pecar champion seems well up to the task having been on 3 of my springers. the reticule did break, but that was my cack handed fault trying to fix a broken adjuster screw on it on the 5th attempt.
    Last edited by junglie; 14-03-2018 at 06:19 PM.

Those old reticles do break, sometimes. My rather over-large collection of classic scopes includes two with broken reticles.

However, my old FWB Sport had literally tens of thousands of pellets through it, sometimes hundreds in a day.

The trigger/safety went wrong twice and needed fixing. The breech lock up eventually wore until it was out of vertical alignment. The spring kinked and it and the piston seal were replaced with Terry Robb items (not a great choice). Field use wore the bluing. The stock developed a small crack at the pistol grip.

Basically, I wore that rifle out. Through use, not abuse.

But the Japanese ASI 4x40 I bought with it new in 1982 just kept soldiering on. Its only issue being that after about ten or fifteen years the front ring came loose and needed re-tightening.

My only Theoben rammer has a Leupold on it. Bomb-proof, and they fix it free if it breaks. I wouldn't myself chance a lesser scope on something which has such a sharp firing cycle. But many have done, without problems.

With a gas ram id worry more about my teeth - they are more expensive to replace
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

I love vintage rifle scopes. My collection includes most of the makes you have mentioned. I've always thought the glossy Jap Tasco's go nicely on 80's springers, they're very good quality and not *that* valuable that you'd worry about wrecking them. Having said that I genuinely don't think you'd break any of the ones you listed, or a good quality Tasco.

The only scope I've managed to break on a gas ram was a Millett, and I put that on because it was designed for a centrefire rifle.

Cheers
    Greg