Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To what criteria do collectors collect?

To what criteria do collectors collect?

Here is a question that will, doubtless, stimulate some interesting responses: what criteria do collectors, here, use when developing their collection?

My collection is modest, compared with many. I tend to look for - in no particular order - accuracy, reliability, reputation of the manufacturer and the model itself, balance of the rifle, the availability of open sights, power over 10ft/lb, British manufacture (albeit not in all cases), rarity value, trigger function, antiquity, condition. Not all of these factors are available in each instance. A BSA Standard, for example, has considerable antiquity value while an FWB 127 has less and is not British but I now have one in my collection.

I am wondering what factors other collectors consider when they purchase a new second hand rifle and do they expect to use them, either in the field or on targets?

I collect:

1. Things I like.

2. Things I find interesting.

I also appear occasionally to acquire:

3. Random things that are cheap or seem good value.

And:

4. Classic 80s scopes. And random period bits (mounts, suppressors, etc) if cheap/good value.

In practice, this means a focus on classic era (1960s-80s) springers, in particular Webleys, Dianas and some HWs, but also others (BSF, Jackal, Sterling). Essentially, stuff I thought was cool when I was 14 (1982).

I also appear to have an affinity for classic pumpers and Crosman CO2 rifles, and a minor thing for full-power SSPs.

And I like pistols a lot. I dislike rubbish inaccurate pistols, especially Gats (though I still appear to own two of the latter).

I have a feeling that things collect me more than I collect them.

Anything that will propel a projectile and is not overpriced
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

1) Any pre war pistols. When quality came first and cost cutting was not yet on agenda. Typically steel in UK/EU. Brass in USA.
    2) Quirky clever mechanisms. Acvoke, Abas, Tell, Haenel, Hubertus, etc.
    3) Recoiless springers. The high point of AP design imo :-)
    I could probably keep adding..

I've found my collecting criteria has changed radically over the years, with no apparent logic to it at all!

At one time I found prewar underlever BSAs deeply unattractive, mainly because they lacked a forend (although I never had this issue with the Webley Mk2 Service). Fast forward a year and I was an avid early BSA collector.

At another time I collected almost every postwar German match spring rifle ever made because (a) I found the precision, clock-type manufacture attractive and the mechanisms - especially if recoilless - ingenious (b) I could buy them relatively cheaply on eGun.de back in the days when the pound was strong against the euro (c) I couldn't afford them when I was young but lusted after them and (d) because for the most part they used blued steel and walnut, a combination I still find irresistible.

These days I collect spring air pistols because they are easy to shoot indoors and to store, but I still have quite a few rifles too which are 'keepers'.

I dread waking up one day and finding plastic-stocked, painted air rifles strangely attractive.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I am trying to keep my criteria to Air Arms PCP's that are no longer in production - mint/near mint examples that still shoot as they should.

I look for original spec although I have some give leeway - for example, there's no point having an early FT version of an RN10 with an original reg as it will likely be no good to shoot.

All with quality period scopes.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    'Airsporteritis' - nuff said!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Owt cheap, rare or rare AND cheap.

I like German engineering (HW, BSF, Original, etc.) but have been known to buy British but not Theoben, Milbro Diana or Jackel.
    Definitely not Relum.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

1 Brand/make (Webley/Tau/Alfa Proj or Diana if very rare)
    2 Looks ; is it a model I like?
    3 Do I already have one from that model ? > not likely to buy another
    4 Is it probable Ill be actually using it after I bought it? > No? > Wont buy it or it must be a steel
    5 Can I afford it (now)?
    ATB,
    yana

Have newish stuff.but have a few i lusted after in my youth also.

I initially concentrated on Webley air pistols regularly ticking of the list until I had collectable examples of all the main models both pre and post war, but resisted looking for pistols with small or transitional changes. At that point I thought my collection was complete and I could give myself and my wallet a bit of a rest. Unfortunately, the urge spread to other early, British spring air pistols quickly followed by German and then a few from the USA. I'm now hooked on finding period accessories and paperwork associated with the pistols which can often cost more than the pistols themselves.

I do also have a few BSA & Webley air rifles in the collection which was started with a Cadet Major being the first real air rifle I owned when just eleven years old.

Regards
    Brian

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I started off intent on collecting differing mechanisms. So one underlever, one side lever, one tap loader etc.

Trouble now is, I see something shiney and I like it.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    I started off intent on collecting differing mechanisms. So one underlever, one side lever, one tap loader etc.

Trouble now is, I see something shiney and I like it.

Dave

What about 'push in' like Crosman M1? Over lever like the Haenel 550. But I can see where your coming from.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I'm a relative newbie here,
    I've started a little classic pistol collection and I've found I'm most interested in pistols with an unconventional mechanism. I'm drawn to the recoiless pistols, mainly the last variant of the different types.
    Also the quirky one-off multi shots like the Drulov DU10, the Record Champion and the Crosman 600.

My main criterea is they have to be in great condition and they have to be shot!

Matt.
    Last edited by ptdunk; 21-03-2018 at 09:26 AM.

I have found it most interesting to read what others collect and the criteria employed. I asked these questions when starting the thread because I thought it might inspire my own activities and provide some new ideas.

Abasmajor and Garvin, along with others, have made the rather worrying point that collections tend to gather their own momentum and often stray from the original criteria, embracing new areas of interest. I am trying to resist this but warmed to Geezer's focus on what he termed the 'classic era' - 1960-1980, including German guns. Meanwhile, Airsporterman has remained rigidly disciplined, collecting only Airsporters - quite a task in itself, I suspect.

I agree with ptdunk and others that collected items must be shot but rather think that some collectors do not do so and are quite happy to have something that works and can be admired, perhaps in a rack or display cabinet - where some pistols are placed, with an impressive effect.

Abasmajor has made the fascinating point that often the accessories and paperwork associated with his pistols can be worth more than the pistols themselves - quite remarkable. I had heard that a pistol's worth rises if the original box exists. Probably, an invoice adds to the value, too, along with the instruction manual.

Probably, a gun's popularity amongst collectors quickly rises if production ceases. I feel no desire to collect HWs that are in production but I might seek out some of those currently in production were this to cease.