Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To what criteria do collectors collect?

Thank you, DT Fletcher, for your interesting comments on collecting. It is always pleasing to have an American view and there are many Crosman collectors here who will be interested in your thoughts and, probably, your book. Certainly, this is serious collecting! There are those, here, with collections of over 100 rifles and pistols but, perhaps, few are as focused as you are.

As 45flint (also from USA I recall) reflected here, there are also people behind guns - the inventors, the manufacturers, etc - and that is where your focus on paper is especially interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Thank you, DT Fletcher, for your interesting comments on collecting. It is always pleasing to have an American view and there are many Crosman collectors here who will be interested in your thoughts and, probably, your book. Certainly, this is serious collecting! There are those, here, with collections of over 100 rifles and pistols but, perhaps, few are as focused as you are.

As 45flint (also from USA I recall) reflected here, there are also people behind guns - the inventors, the manufacturers, etc - and that is where your focus on paper is especially interesting.
    My desire and final acquisition last month of my Crosman Town and Country came after reading many posts online from DT and others. But having had his book for about a year, it is a kick reading the initial advertisements for the gun. It gives a greater appreciation for my earlier guns as well. These guns come from a very different time and knowing that context gives a greater appreciation for what they are. When I shoot them I’m a time traveler much more fun than the latest bullpup.

The downside is that I am now starting to get a interest in the early Crosman CO2 guns! I never really wanted to go there but I see why they bet the farm on that technology and made it work.
    Last edited by 45flint; 22-03-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Which is why I produced The Literature of Crosman. This book has all of the Crosman paper produced from 1923 to 1952. It doesn't have all of the owner's manuals but it has all of the catalogs, flyers, postcards, etc. It is expensive. I opted for full color, since that is the only way to fully appreciate this collection. I will never produce a B/W version; even though I'll never come close to getting back in book sales what went into producing it. I consider it my most important book on the subject. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Literature-...1687144&sr=1-2
    I bought this book and it's absolutely brilliant - such a good way to share the product of all that hard work building the collection. Like a hard copy version of Troubledshooter's Webley paper collection...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Anything I coveted as a kid and couldn’t have. Any Scorpion pistol derivative I can’t resist. Anything late 80s.

I didn't lust after any air pistols in my youth, I was happy with my Webley Tempest and borrowing my mates Daisy 717 and Record Jumbo.
    Then recently the world of classic vintage air pistols has opened up to me and I'm discovering most of them for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    When I shoot them I’m a time traveler much more fun than the latest bullpup.
    I couldnt agree more.