Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley Mk 3 questions.

Webley Mk 3 questions.

I have, in my trawling/haunting of the North West gun shops come across a .177 Webley Mk 3 (ser no: 42**) which has the double sear trigger, grooved stock and rounded grooved loading tap. Its in pretty good condition with 90% blueing, a few dinks in the stock but the 'medallion' is as good as new. I guess its was produced mid 1950's?
    Now Im no expert in Webley rifles so I read The Bible (Dennis Hillers book) which states, in capital letters 'DO NOT USE THIS RIFLE' due to the weakness of the sears.
    Now while few of my rifles are overworked I occasionally like them to be used if not by myself by fellow club members.
    My question is are these sears that fragile the gun cant be used?

Thank you for any info or advice on this gun.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Love mine. Same age range as yours , bought new by my dad, has been used thoroughly and built like an ox. Never missed a beat, despite numerous strip and relubes it still has the original leather washer and delivering a very consistent 10.2/10.3 ft lbs in .22.

One of the best open sight plinkers I have, along with several vintage BSAs. Buy and enjoy...
    ...you will still be grinning in years to come.

Aye, but does yours have the DST? Which I assume is the fragile area what Mr Jones refers to.

I assume that, because I don't have Dennis Hiller's rifle book (though I do have his book on hair pistols - that he kindly signed for me).

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Aye, but does yours have the DST? Which I assume is the fragile area what Mr Jones refers to.

I assume that, because I don't have Dennis Hiller's rifle book (though I do have his book on hair pistols - that he kindly signed for me).

Hmmmm!! Hair pistols Rick??

Ed, I have an old one, Serial 39**, It always seems to feel solid when I cock it, It's really been abused too and is in a terrible cosmetic state!!

It's the top one of these!

John
    Last edited by johnbaz; 15-03-2018 at 12:45 AM. Reason: cuz eye karnt spel proply!!
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hmmmm!! Hair pistols Rick??

Ed, I have an old one, Serial 39**, It always seems to feel solid when I cock it, It's really been abused too and is in a terrible cosmetic state!!

John
    Ah, silly me, John.

I made yet another mistake, by reading the OP as 'double set trigger' instead of 'double sear trigger'... thinking that Mr Jones had come across a MK3 target version with DST.

If I had the book, which I don't, I reckon it wouldn't tell me that Webley made a MK3 with DST. Which isn't as exciting as if they did - to be fair.

I dont know that trigger, but Id say; use it.
    Worst case, the sear dies, but imo its always reparable. There must be someone who can make you a new one
    ATB,
    yana

I thought that trigger was only used on very early Mk3s?

I had one serial no 46 which I bought as a wreck.

My friend who restored it got very excited about that trigger which had 27 separate bits to it.

If I’m remembering right.

THAN YOU ALL for your prompt replies. I knew I could count on the BBS 'massive'.

It is the complexity of the trigger that I think Mr Hiller [looks East and bows] was referring to.

What is the value of such a rifle? (I want to know if I got a bargain or not. )

mk

try 'Chris Thrales book on Webley Rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    try 'Chris Thrales book on Webley Rifles.
    His book has no mention of the 'fragile' trigger unlike Mr Hiller.

My friend who sorted mine says the dt trigger is complicated ,but well made ,and not fragile.

As to value ,as ever condition dictates price, the early one I had restored was in v poor condition and I paid £90 for it.
    I promptly sold the peep-sight that had been added to it for £65!

I paid Binners a lot more for a very nicely restored early one in .177.
    Mr Malloy re blue etc.

I guess £150 is a good starting point for an average one ?

You do know that these are made by the same people who make the pistols Ian ?
    They shoot like them too
    Last edited by gingernut; 15-03-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Mine is 2xx9 one of the first series it’s been reblued to a very high standard it’s 1948-1949 it’s supposed to have the double pull trigger like you I did not use it as Hiller said I probably bought mine from the same shop as you did mike

Oh forgot to say mine is 177 to I think 22 was not available due to lead not being available after ww2 mike

Webley

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

THAN YOU ALL for your prompt replies. I knew I could count on the BBS 'massive'.

It is the complexity of the trigger that I think Mr Hiller [looks East and bows] was referring to.

What is the value of such a rifle? (I want to know if I got a bargain or not. )
    Looks like a sack of sh*te to me IJ, don't even know what you paid but I reckon you got burned😘
    ATB J.
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]

Quote Originally Posted by 1shot1kill View Post
    Looks like a sack of sh*te to me IJ, don't even know what you paid but I reckon you got burned��
    ATB J.
    It wont have been much knowing IJ - and you would have to get up very early in the morning see him get himself "burned" on a deal
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.