Thread: Daystate Hammer Lubricant

Daystate Hammer Lubricant

I’m in the process of rebuilding a Mirage XLR and wondering whether to use any lubricant on the hammer. The instruction book says the Daystate used Lubrotechnik products but I don’t think they are still available. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

This stuff was recommended by someone on here years ago. I'm still on the first can so a little goes a long way.

Spray it on, wipe it off, jobs a goodun.

http://www.reelfishing.co.uk/quantum-hot-sauce-spray/

I use it on both the bolts of my rimmys and airgun hammers and bolts.
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right.

Yes, I spoke to Dave Welham (SCR) about my X2R that I rebuilt, as I tried to run it dry, and it was not very consistent. He said they must always be lubricated, but that grease can be too thick; I have some Abbey SM50 gunlube, which he reckoned was fine, and so it has proven to be very consistent now.

Thanks, I have some SM50 so may give that a go before buying anything. I also have GT85 and Breakfree CLP if either of these would be better.

Not sure what breakfree is, but GT85 is similar to WD40, and has little real lubricating properties.

Quote Originally Posted by trick cyclist View Post
    Not sure what breakfree is, but GT85 is similar to WD40, and has little real lubricating properties.
    Breakfree is a US produced firearm lubricant containing PTFE. I did think that GT85 also contained PTFE and was a step up from WD40. It was recommended to me to use as a cycle chain lubricant.

Whatever you ultimately do use, put it on and polish it off, don't leave the hammer wet with oil. It might pick up dirt and it will cause inconsistency. That's why anything that leaves a residue, like wd40, is a definite no no.
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavlar View Post
    Whatever you ultimately do use, put it on and polish it off, don't leave the hammer wet with oil. It might pick up dirt and it will cause inconsistency. That's why anything that leaves a residue, like wd40, is a definite no no.
    Thanks! That’s what I do when I use Breakfree on the bolt of my 10/22 so was planning a similar approach with whatever I end up using.

Same question here

Sorry for highjacking a tread , I was wondering the same question my self . I have Daystate MK3 which I rarely use . The last time I had it in parts while the batteries were being changed I used the opportunity to degrease the hammer and lightly polish it with polishing compound ( it was lightly oiled to the touch ) . Afterwords did a very consistent 10.5 but seem to remember it was doing about 11.4 before . Left it at that , but kept wondering if the degreasing of the hammer made it drop a bit of power ?

I've always used Breakfree for hammers in the past when rebuilding PCPs, always put the smallest amount on then wiped it off.
    Nowadays I use Napier gun oil and do the same.

Lube

Lubrotechnik products are still available, Staffs Custom Rifles stock them. You need to use Range finder oil (that is what Daystate called it) a small ammount on the hammer.Don not put oil on a mk3 solenoid as they run in a plastic or brass bush ad do not require any lube.

Any one used graphite powder?

I have just bought some kg10. I've only used it once so far, but it seems to do what it says. I'm going to try it on my pcp hammer as soon as I get it stripped down. I thought it might be good for triggers too

http://www.armadillotimes.com/2011/0...y-lube-review/